Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,045,125 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why people march in the streets, with signs, protesting a lot, when it never does any good, and the government or society never listens to them. So why bother doing it really, unless I am missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

25,384 posts, read 17,044,373 times
Go back to the days of Vietnam. It was the protestors in the street who guided the US to its worst loss ever. But there is more to the story than that.
The US policy in Vietnam consisted of inane rules of engagement, which led to thousands and thousands of unnecessary deaths. Add to that the fact that so many of the servicemen were unwilling draftees, Cronkite had spoken out against military involvement, and Johnson had promised a utopia here in America and the whole thing caught fire. It was awful. (I'm a Vietnam vet)
Did the protestors accomplish anything? ....... probably. But they were misled by the Johnson administration every bit as much as the BLM protestors were misled by the Obama one. Poor leadership - I'm talking about Johnson and Obama has serious, long term consequences. Protestors feed off it and sometimes cause a change in policy - sometimes it is what they want and sometimes it backfires on them.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I just don't understand why people march in the streets, with signs, protesting a lot, when it never does any good, and the government or society never listens to them. So why bother doing it really, unless I am missing something?
Watch a few documentaries about the Civil Rights Movement. Peaceful protest changed the country.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,811,982 times
It got India it's independence.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,464,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Watch a few documentaries about the Civil Rights Movement. Peaceful protest changed the country.
That was not entirely 'peaceful' though, quite a few civil rights protesters were refusing to comply and disobeying law enforcement, they were viewed as criminals and troublemakers by many, who thought they should just sit down and obey/comply.

If more people disobeyed and refused to comply with certain laws today, I think they would be a lot more effective, too often I see 'political protests' or protests in general, where the people are very obedient and subservient to law enforcement in the area, its almost a complete waste of time.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 2,834,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did it? Or was it the threat of Federal troops?

Johnson protects civil rights march, March 20, 1965

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...20-1965-020245

The only way peaceful protest works is if the protesters have an overwhelming numerical advantage. Otherwise you need violence or the threat of violence.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM

41,772 posts, read 74,786,854 times
Vietnam, civil rights, women's suffrage/women's rights, environmental protection, gay rights ... Only those who were born yesterday or who didn't pay attention in U.S. history class wouldn't realize what change protests can bring about.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,811,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Vietnam, civil rights, women's suffrage/women's rights, environmental protection, gay rights ... Only those who were born yesterday or who didn't pay attention in U.S. history class wouldn't realize what change protests can bring about.
I think it also helps to have a less peaceful group ready to take their rights by any means necessary.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,464,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Gay rights came to fruition mainly due to years and years of subtle conditioning...to change public opinion on the issue, network tv and movies started depicted homosexuality in a non-negative and eventually in a positive light, protesting was a very small part of it.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,491,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Protests are a strange thing... I don't particularly care for them, but I do acknowledge that, when done correctly, they are effective.

You may not see any immediate social/policy changes when protests occur (which is probably why some people think they are a waste of time), but what protests are good at is slowly transforming the way we think about things. They accomplish this, IMO, by being annoying... protests are annoying both to watch and deal with in person, which makes us want to find a way to stop them, and the way we stop them is to work together towards a common goal so that protesters are at least minimally satisfied and can stop protesting.

Bottom line: They're annoying, which is why they are effective. Living with protests going on constantly is draining... and if the protesters are genuinely passionate and convincing in their message (as was the case during the civil rights movement), it can fundamentally change the way we all think by way of guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies