Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Even if you think global warming is a hoax, what are the downsides of pursuing a cleaner environment and more efficient ways of generating energy?
You are spot on with this thought!!! This is always what I have thought/said as well. Without getting to the globing warming/not warming issue, we should always be good stewards of our resources, and always looking for a better way to have a smaller footprint on the Earth. I support that effort 100%.

That being said, what I find troubling is the massive fear they are trying to strike into our minds. Oh my god...the world is going to end, Miami will be under water, crops will fail, it will snow on the beach in Hawaii, the Midwest will become a desert etc....

Reminds me of the church/religion I was raised in. They kept telling us if we didn't change our ways, and put more in the collection plate to spread the "good" word, we'd be "roasted" forever and eternally damned to pain and torture in hell. Anytime anyone is peddling fear, to that massive degree, I automatically get skeptical. It's all about control, and mankind has forever bred people and/or groups who just love to control the masses, tell them what to think, and how to act, and how to live, and the ultimate goal.... to make them subjugated to the "enlightened" ones. Just remember, much of the time, what people lack in facts and good thinking, they make up for in a very loud volume when speaking about it. Many times the smartest person in the room isn't the one shouting his/her opinion, but quietly discussing the issues of the day without spewing fear and loathing if you don't agree with his/her opinion. If the shoe fits....

So to summarize, we should be making changes to cleaner things to "fuel" our living on this planet, and make our footprint smaller. However, the massive and immediate (10 years AOC with your green initiative...seriously ???) changes being promoted with fear (analogous to the hell fire and brimstone principle) makes me wonder what else is at play here. There is far more to this than just global warming. It's about controlling people, and fear is the best way to do that, bar none.

Last edited by jasper1372; 02-13-2019 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
If we give most of our money to the democrats how much can they fix the climate in terms of degrees cooler in the next 75 years? 1 degree or is it more?
government claim it will reverse climate change is a hoax.

climate change is not a hoax.

human caused global warming/climate change is a hoax, even warmers have dropped the words, 'human caused'.

government claim via ex VP and newly minted legislator, predicts an end to the earth within 12 years. the VP's prediction came and went. the same government who can't get the food pyramid right is now interceding on our behalf with the cosmos to alter its impact on the earth and for the earth to halt its dynamic evolution as it seeks its own equilibrium. The stuff of Inca priests and solar eclipses. what's old is new again.

Respect the earth as consumers. don't expect to sit back and let the government do it.

We exist in an eddy on the river of change. If change occurs faster than we can ADAPT, we go away. As it should be.

Enough red flags have been raised to conclude the government claims are a hoax. Don't need to be a climate scientist, just look at the logic and inconsistency of government claims.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Even if you think global warming is a hoax, what are the downsides of pursuing a cleaner environment and more efficient ways of generating energy?
You are free to be as environmentally conscious as you want. I'm not going to draw up a list of what I do, but I would bet that I'm more environmentally conscious than most people running around screaming about "man made" climate change and the world ending in 12 years. Do what you can do, but don't tell me I have to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You are spot on with this thought!!! This is always what I have thought/said as well. Without getting to the globing warming/not warming issue, we should always be good stewards of our resources, and always looking for a better way to have a smaller footprint on the Earth. I support that effort 100%.
I support everyone's individual effort, not something forced on them.

Quote:
That being said, what I find troubling is the massive fear they are trying to strike into our minds. Oh my god...the world is going to end, Miami will be under water, crops will fail, it will snow on the beach in Hawaii, the Midwest will become a desert etc....
It's beyond troubling. It's downright propaganda, and people are falling for it. Throwing money at something and never changing anything that you do doesn't change anything except your bank account. (General "you"). But I get the idea that some people think they can continue to live the way that they do and just pay their way out of the guilt.

It takes effort to actually BE conscious of what you produce that gets into the environment moreso than it does for someone to write a check. You (again, general 'you') can't buy your way out of living a life more considerate to what your actions do to nature. (Please note: I'm not talking about "man made" climate change, I'm talking about destroying nature at all with every day actions that people do. Littering, destroying, introducing species that aren't supposed to be there and upsetting the delicate eco-system because they threw out their pet python that got too big for them to handle, or their iguana, whatever.)

Quote:
Reminds me of the church/religion I was raised in. They kept telling us if we didn't change our ways, and put more in the collection plate to spread the "good" word, we'd be "roasted" forever and eternally damned to pain and torture in hell. Anytime anyone is peddling fear, to that massive degree, I automatically get skeptical. It's all about control, and mankind has forever bred people and/or groups who just love to control the masses, tell them what to think, and how to act, and how to live, and the ultimate goal.... to make them subjugated to the "enlightened" ones. Just remember, much of the time, what people lack in facts and good thinking, they make up for in a very loud volume when speaking about it. Many times the smartest person in the room isn't the one shouting his/her opinion, but quietly discussing the issues of the day without spewing fear and loathing if you don't agree with his/her opinion. If the shoe fits....
What a crappy church, trying to guilt people into tithing more. That's not how it works. But, your point is valid - anytime someone says they need your money to "fix everything or else", you can bet it's a scam.

Quote:
So to summarize, we should be making changes to cleaner things to "fuel" our living on this planet, and make our footprint smaller. However, the massive and immediate (10 years AOC with your green initiative...seriously ???) changes being promoted with fear (analogous to the hell fire and brimstone principle) makes me wonder what else is at play here. There is far more to this than just global warming. It's about controlling people, and fear is the best way to do that, bar none.
What's in play is a big old scheme for several people in the circle to get a grab at your money. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Everyone can be more conscious and aware of what they do. People can do a lot in their own homes, and in their daily lives that really isn't an inconvenience - it might feel like it at the start, but it really doesn't take much effort once it becomes the new normal.

But it extends beyond the home and work place, it goes to National Parks or anywhere out in the wilderness. Don't F with the animals. Every time I had a tourist wanting to mess with the gators on tour in the Everglades, I wanted to push them in. "How about now? You think you're funny now?" Leave the wild life alone. And no, you don't need to spray paint your graffiti all over the rocks and trees in parks. No one cares that you were there.

Keep your hands to yourself, or your camera, just stop touching everything! Stop pulling on it, pushing on it, leaning on it, climbing on it (unless designated), writing on it, throwing something at it, etc. And pick up your GD litter!

I implore those who demand that we all pay for "climate change" and those who insist that we must "create new policies" to protect the environment, to go work in a National Park for even just 1 year. You will then see that "giving money for man made climate change" isn't going to do squat.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
If we give most of our money to the democrats how much can they fix the climate in terms of degrees cooler in the next 75 years? 1 degree or is it more?
That is incredible. You think climate change can be reversed by giving money to a political party of a single country? AND you are going to be able to see a causal relationship between that money and the number of degrees that the global average didn't increase?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is incredible. You think climate change can be reversed by giving money to a political party of a single country?

I believe what the OP was referencing are policies endorsed by Democrat that artificially increase the cost of conventional energy(coal & natgas) and favor more expensive ones like like solar and wind.

Quote:
AND you are going to be able to see a causal relationship between that money and the number of degrees that the global average didn't increase?
Assuming the rise in temperatures can be attributed 100% to CO2 emissions the answer is no. China, India and emerging economies will continue to power their economies with low cost fossil fuels if they are available. China burns about 4 or 5 times what we do and has a domestic supply that will last them for the next 3 or 4 decades. They will burn every piece of coal they have and whatever they can manage to import.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
FIX the FIX?

Top Scientist Resigns: 'Global Warming is a $Trillions Scam — It has Corrupted Many Scientists' | Humans Are Free
Top Scientist Resigns: 'Global Warming is a $Trillions Scam — It has Corrupted Many Scientists'
“Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise.”
When you buy bogus results, it’s no longer science.
When you embrace beliefs as incontrovertible, it’s religion.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
A far more relevant question is - to what extent can the Trump administration's attempt to water down, repeal and suspend environmental reglations hurt the environment and climate?

Yet another circle jerk by the climate change deniers here.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:33 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
No one party can "fix" the environment. But unifying agreements across the board - both parties, national/state/local governments, and businesses - working together, could help.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:20 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Even if you think global warming is a hoax

I don't think it's a hoax, as in a deliberate attempt to deceive for some nefarious purpose. It's a just a theory that's wrong. AGW proponents actually believe in it.

Quote:
what are the downsides of pursuing a cleaner environment and more efficient ways of generating energy?

The only reason that carbon dioxide is considered a "pollutant" is because of the AGW theory. Otherwise, CO2 is as harmless as water vapor in the atmosphere. Higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are actually a boon to all the world's plant life.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:13 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
FIX the FIX?

Top Scientist Resigns: 'Global Warming is a $Trillions Scam — It has Corrupted Many Scientists' | Humans Are Free
Top Scientist Resigns: 'Global Warming is a $Trillions Scam — It has Corrupted Many Scientists'
“Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise.”
When you buy bogus results, it’s no longer science.
When you embrace beliefs as incontrovertible, it’s religion.
That is a sad read, but a reflection of the frustration hard line actual scientists face with this terrible hoax. The cost in lost credibility to academic departments will be long lasting, as many will attempt to distance themselves from the hoax and pretend like they opposed in the first place.

AGW is worse than the Salem Witch Trials and history will not judge it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies