Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times

Advertisements

This is right out of LA P&W IRP..

https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/la...41968628943362

Challenges to ensuring continued reliable electric service include replacement of aging generation
facilities, integration of intermittent renewable energy resources, and replacement of, or
installation of new equipment and technologies related to generation, transmission, distribution,
and substations.
To maintain grid reliability, LADWP’s 2017 Ten-Year Transmission Assessment Plan has
identified a number of necessary improvements that are needed to avoid potential overloads on
key segments of the transmission system. These overload conditions, if encountered, could require
load shedding events (intentional power outages) as a means to protect the overall electric system.
The integration of renewable energy into the grid poses major reliability challenges. Because
renewable resources like wind and solar produce electricity variably and intermittently
(i.e., only
when the wind is blowing or when the sun is shining), integration of these resources requires
additional supplemental generating units to compensate for significant and often rapid swings in
energy production. These swings present operational challenges and must be balanced by
controllable generation capable of equally rapid changes of generation in the opposite direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
lol............

Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sometimes you have to be the one to take the lead on things. Sometimes bold moves are called for. We had absolutely no idea how to get to the moon when Kennedy said that is what we would do.

Do I wish he had better specifics on his plans going forward? I do. While I support the idea of moving towards cleaner energy sources, I am also wanting for more specifics.
I think the Captain of the Titanic said the same thing.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Is this Garcetti's way of trying to get the Federal government to come in and foot the bill for the rebuilding of these power plants? I can't see the Federal government letting the lights go out in California.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Well, let's see, what will happen if Garcetti gets this New Green (Yellow) Deal started in the City of Angels? I see the following things happening:

In-N-Out will close its L.A. locations.

LAX will no longer have any flight business, forcing connections to Honolulu to go through Phoenix or San Francisco.

More people will be out on the streets because cars will be banned.

There will be more violence because people won't have jobs anymore.

Gosh, being a Californian is going to get even more depressing. I'm thanking my stars I'm a Texan.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Garcetti should've declared LA a gasoline free area if he truly wanted to make an actual impact.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, let's see, what will happen if Garcetti gets this New Green (Yellow) Deal started in the City of Angels? I see the following things happening:

In-N-Out will close its L.A. locations.

LAX will no longer have any flight business, forcing connections to Honolulu to go through Phoenix or San Francisco.

More people will be out on the streets because cars will be banned.

There will be more violence because people won't have jobs anymore.

Gosh, being a Californian is going to get even more depressing. I'm thanking my stars I'm a Texan.
At this point, we have to pray for the big one to hit and swallow that God forsaken state and it's people into the sea.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Is this Garcetti's way of trying to get the Federal government to come in and foot the bill for the rebuilding of these power plants? I can't see the Federal government letting the lights go out in California.
How is it the Fed's responsibility? LA has a MUNICIPAL Utility owned by the people they serve.. If they want to wreck it more power to them

Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Davis

"On January 17, 2001, Davis declared a state of emergency in response to the electricity crisis. Speculators, led by Enron Corporation, were collectively making large profits while the state teetered on the edge for weeks and finally suffered rolling blackouts on January 17 and 18.[47] Davis stepped in to buy power at highly unfavorable terms on the open market, since the California power companies were technically bankrupt and had no buying power. California agreed to pay $43 billion for power over the next 20 years.[47] Newspaper publishers sued Davis to force him to make public the details of the energy deal."

Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Plunge them into darkness !!! Make them the cave dwellers they want to be !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies