Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

While I don't disagree with most things already said, you also can't deny the fact that some people just can't manage money. You can take two identical families, mom/dad, 2 kids. The guys work the same job, making in the same hourly wage, same hours and their paychecks are identical. And the minute they come off the job (construction and the job is complete) one will be flat-butt broke and the other will have some savings to get them through till the start of the next job. We see this exact scenario at the end of every job. And in our industry a great deal of the families are one-income only due to the constant travel.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
With so much Greed throughout our society, people wouldn’t survive without the excess that binds them to their disease...Afluenza.

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Irrelevant. The point is that the profit-margin argument is a smokescreen to cover up Walmart's labor practices.
Walmart is one company.

And will do the same thing as Amazon and Costco, elimination of as much of the cost of labor as possible when it becomes economically feasible.

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Cost of living and inflation have surpassed middle class wages.

In the 1950s - 1960s my grandfather supported his wife and 7 kids with his middle class factory job at Pfizer. Today you can can hardly afford to support yourself with a similar job and salary adjusted for inflation.
It's a chicken and the egg type thing. Have prices risen because wives entered the workforce, thus allowing producers to raise their prices, or did women enter the workforce because producers raised their prices?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Costco, serving the same demographic of shoppers has managed to pay workers almost 25% more. Amazon doing the same manages to pay their workers 25% more.

And despite your claims about being constrained by profit margins, they've managed to increase executive compensation EVERY YEAR.
Costco charges an annual minimum $60/person (plus tax) membership fee. Perhaps if Walmart charged everyone $60/year to shop there, they could pay a higher starting salary, too.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Costco charges an annual minimum $60/person membership fee. Perhaps if Walmart charged everyone $60/year to shop there, they could pay a higher starting salary, too.

Walmart does that.

They call it "Sam's Club."

Old 02-13-2019, 06:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
#1 - EVERYTHING is expensive and getting more so by the day.
#2 - Gluttony …. if one is good, two is better.
#3 - Greed, see #2
#4 - Expectations, every one wants the best of everything. The simple life is gone. Satisfaction with a full stomach and a warm dry place to sleep is just not enough. Everyone has to have technology and the latest flashy thing. Bigger is better. See #2 and #3.
I would think even more than that is that people want those things without having to work for it. American dream is to be wealthy and live a luxurious lifestyle without having to work for it. Hence un earned income, capital gains, etc. I look at my own 401(k) and that’s exactly the case. I am building my retirement on it. It’s not as if I will be living off of money that I saved from my work. I want to live off money that is valued by the work of other people. That kind of system is just not sustainable for all people. It can only work for a small percentage until it falls apart.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Let us not forget that many families desire for their children to attend college. Back in 1981, while attending Texas Tech Law School, my tuition was $5.00 per hour. So, for 90 hours over three years, I paid $450.00.

If you have a child today, you best be advised to start a dedicated savings plan for your toddler, and even then said toddler will be facing big school loans.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Let us not forget that many families desire for their children to attend college. Back in 1981, while attending Texas Tech Law School, my tuition was $5.00 per hour. So, for 90 hours over three years, I paid $450.00.

If you have a child today, you best be advised to start a dedicated savings plan for your toddler, and even then said toddler will be facing big school loans.
Well thank you govt backed student loans!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
One factor:

1946 to 1980 was an anomoly.

Grandparents used to live with family until they died. You more often than not had a 3 or even 4 generation household. Kids with their own room were an anomaly. The parents had 1 bedroom, the male children 1 bedroom and the female children 1 bedroom. That loser uncle had a bedroom or the attic.
Also, houses with more than 1 bathroom were an anomaly. Families had one landline telephone, usually in the kitchen, and it was almost always a party line shared with numerous neighbors. Families had 1 TV. Families had 1 car, if they even had a car at all. Etc.

Like I said... People who earn little have unrealistic lifestyle expectations, so it seems to them that they cannot support a family on one income. All they have to do is live within or slightly below their means like we used to in 1946 to 1980, for example.

...Interesting data point on party line phones... We had one well into the 1990s in Fontana, WI (town on the west end of Geneva Lake). It was all that was available. You couldn't get a private line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies