Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,068,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans believe their rigid, narrow religious rules should be forced on all Americans and that there should be zero tolerance for any objections. They are the very definition of tyrants.
Four words: “Common Sense Gun Control”

Two more: “Gender Identity”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 03:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Homosexual acts are immoral. It doesn't matter how many think they're OK. This law has been consistent for centuries. God didn't suddenly change is mind on this core principle in 2012 like Hillary and 0bummer did.
Which acts would those be? Oral sex? Anal sex?

I hate to point this out, but on any given day, it's likely that far more heterosexual couples perform these acts. Just because there are so many more heterosexual couples.

If the only justification for a law is that "the bible sez", you have lost the argument.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would be down with eliminating civil marriage. But so long as there is such a thing, it must be available to all.
In the US, only civil marriage confers marital rights and responsibilities. If you want those rights and responsibilities (and not everyone does), a religious or other ceremony is optional, but a marriage license/certificate is not.

Every once in a while you hear about something like this - https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...s-rock-7612781 Whatever ceremony she had, and even if she deeply meant it (I suspect there's a tongue in her cheek, but who knows), she is not legally married, because there is no marriage certificate/license.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why is there still so much hatred directed at the LGBT community? I’m married to my partner, and we’re happy! Can’t people just let this go?
Alas, some people can't. My guess is that those who can't let it go are religiously motivated.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,074,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Alas, some people can't. My guess is that those who can't let it go are religiously motivated.
Or homosexual closet cases.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,104,468 times
Quote:
In the US, only civil marriage confers marital rights and responsibilities. If you want those rights and responsibilities (and not everyone does), a religious or other ceremony is optional, but a marriage license/certificate is not.

Every once in a while you hear about something like this - https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...s-rock-7612781 Whatever ceremony she had, and even if she deeply meant it (I suspect there's a tongue in her cheek, but who knows), she is not legally married, because there is no marriage certificate/license.
No one should need a government license to enter into a voluntary contract.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
No one should need a government license to enter into a voluntary contract.
I hate to tell you this, but one of the big reasons that government exists is to regulate and enforce contracts.

Someone has to be able to force a contract violator to make things right.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,774,502 times
I think its a legitimate question whether or not the government should have been involved in a religious sacrament like marriage in the first place. However, it is what it is and it must be available to all. I don't agree with revoking the rights and benefits that come with marriage for everyone simply to appease religious fundamentalists who aren't directly impacted in any way by who marries who. Absolutely nobody is trying to force churches that oppose same-sex marriage to marry same-sex couples.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,599,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans believe their rigid, narrow religious rules should be forced on all Americans and that there should be zero tolerance for any objections. They are the very definition of tyrants.
Yes, and they would love a Christian shariah law here too. Loving Christians. Wow.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:41 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,104,468 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you this, but one of the big reasons that government exists is to regulate and enforce contracts.

Someone has to be able to force a contract violator to make things right.
I hate to tell you this, but the government has no right to regulate and enforce contracts.

That's what arbitrators are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies