Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
No, they're clearly being punished to the terms the victim wants. But anyways, you're right, no point discussing this with you since the conversation requires a minimum amount of intelligence to read and follow the arguments.
You can not make policy based upon one instance. Our system will never function that way.

Guy rapes your 10 year old daughter. You accept his 5 million in compensation. I have to move to another town because he moves in next to me.

You then argue that Cosby is unlikely to repeat his actions. Rape is NOT just about the sex. It's about power and control of others also. That knows no age limit.

You do not understand the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:11 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Always wondered about the spouses of people like Cosby. He had a long history of relationships with other women. Just kept her mouth shut for financial reasons and security ? Curious.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Always wondered about the spouses of people like Cosby. He had a long history of relationships with other women. Just kept her mouth shut for financial reasons and security ? Curious.
It's likely not a pretty picture.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can not make policy based upon one instance. Our system will never function that way.
You make policy to cover all scenarios and then you evaluate each and every instance individually to decide the punishment. And it can function just fine, I gave the example of Saudi Arabia which actually has a lower rate of recidivism than the USA that employs this method.

Though, don't get me wrong, I find the Saudi penal code barbaric, but I like this particular out.

Quote:
Guy rapes your 10 year old daughter. You accept his 5 million in compensation. I have to move to another town because he moves in next to me.
Here, society would probably decide that recidivism chance is too high, and my 10 year old daughter too young to accept the terms (and why should I be able to accept for her), so these terms would be refused and the man would go to prison.

Quote:
You then argue that Cosby is unlikely to repeat his actions. Rape is NOT just about the sex. It's about power and control of others also. That knows no age limit.
Cosby is in advanced age and failing health. I don't see him doing this again. And I don't think anyone does. This is some sick strain of "justice" that runs through American veins where you like to see criminals get their just desserts.

Who said rape is about sex? To me, rape and aggravated assault is more or less the same thing. And the victim is the one who was assaulted. Not you. So let her decide if she wants her rapist to spend 20 years behind bars or give her 20 million dollars (so she can do something with that).

It really benefits no one to see Cosby in prison. It's just kind of a barbaric blood lust of wanting to see him suffer. It advances nothing. And your lust is immoral. Don't pretend wanting to see another human being suffer is moral.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
You make policy to cover all scenarios and then you evaluate each and every instance individually to decide the punishment. And it can function just fine, I gave the example of Saudi Arabia which actually has a lower rate of recidivism than the USA that employs this method.
Sorry, I am not interested in being Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Though, don't get me wrong, I find the Saudi penal code barbaric, but I like this particular out.
It all goes hand in hand. If you are rich, buy your way out. If you are poor, get stoned. Not interested and neither is anyone else.

Quote:
Here, society would probably decide that recidivism chance is too high, and my 10 year old daughter too young to accept the terms (and why should I be able to accept for her), so these terms would be refused and the man would go to prison.
This is incredibly hypocritical. Now you are making exceptions to your rule. It works for an adult also. I'm still moving if a convicted rapist that was allowed to go free because he has money moves in next door. That is a cost to me.

Quote:
Cosby is in advanced age and failing health. I don't see him doing this again. And I don't think anyone does. This is some sick strain of "justice" that runs through American veins where you like to see criminals get their just desserts.

Who said rape is about sex? To me, rape and aggravated assault is more or less the same thing. And the victim is the one who was assaulted. Not you. So let her decide if she wants her rapist to spend 20 years behind bars or give her 20 million dollars (so she can do something with that).

It really benefits no one to see Cosby in prison. It's just kind of a barbaric blood lust of wanting to see him suffer. It advances nothing. And your lust is immoral. Don't pretend wanting to see another human being suffer is moral.
Just because he was able to hide his crimes for years.............just because Dennis Rader didn't get caught until he was older is not a reason to not lock him up forever.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:34 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
He's too old? Not. It's not about sex drive it is about power, control, lust. Heinous.
A stupid statute of limitations prevented the other women from being heard.
There were sixty (60) total women who complained. How can it be untrue with so many coming forward? Like all of them were paid to smear Bill? Come'on. It's just unforgivable that bodily harm against women is so acceptable to many. Why do you think #MeToo exists. One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their life.

One in 5 women. You are walking around raped women all day long.Rape is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police (o).Wonder why? Not being believed just like you claim to not beleive. Then they are put through reliving it in court with defense saying they asks for it!!. Only 12% of child sexual abuse is reported to the authorities (g). EVIDENCE.. CLICK HERE

Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This is incredibly hypocritical. Now you are making exceptions to your rule. It works for an adult also. I'm still moving if a convicted rapist that was allowed to go free because he has money moves in next door. That is a cost to me.
First, learn the definition of "hypocritical". Second, I already stated this is not an absolute rule, but an option, that can be vetoed by society if recidivism is determined to be too great. It was in one of my first posts to you. Your example was already thought of and addrssed.

Quote:
Just because he was able to hide his crimes for years.............just because Dennis Rader didn't get caught until he was older is not a reason to not lock him up forever.
Why does he need to be punished? When justice is detached from deterrence and safe-guarding society (as it's in the case of Cosby), it's all about petty vengeance. These women were raped (let's say they were), but putting him in prison does not "un-rape" them. You just add suffering to this world. And do you think you're really better than Cosby? You might not have raped a woman but I bet you eat meat etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
First, learn the definition of "hypocritical". Second, I already stated this is not an absolute rule, but an option, that can be vetoed by society if recidivism is determined to be too great. It was in one of my first posts to you. Your example was already thought of and addrssed.

Why does he need to be punished? When justice is detached from deterrence and safe-guarding society (as it's in the case of Cosby), it's all about petty vengeance. These women were raped (let's say they were), but putting him in prison does not "un-rape" them. You just add suffering to this world. And do you think you're really better than Cosby? You might not have raped a woman but I bet you eat meat etc.
When in a hole dig deeper. Now you are going to compare having a hamburger to rape. Maybe that's the disconnect with you.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
but putting him in prison does not "un-rape" them.
Putting murderers in prison does not un-murder their victims, either. Might as well open the prison doors and let everyone out, because incarceration does not un-do their crimes.

Good grief.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 02-14-2019 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
When in a hole dig deeper. Now you are going to compare having a hamburger to rape. Maybe that's the disconnect with you.
It's only different to you because you do not view the life of a cow as important. So the murder of the cow for your pleasure is seen as no moral failing on your part.

This is all arbitrary, in the end of the day there is no objective morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies