Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Were you as upset when the 3rd party contractors didn't get paid during the Obama Administration shutdown?

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-price-n957226
Your NBC link doesn't discuss the Obama administration at all.

The Obama administration did make late payments to contractors.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...107-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You must work with a company with several contracts?

When I was a contractor (defense), I spent 15 years with one small company that subbed on a one very large, lucrative contract. If that contract had been impacted by the shutdown, my company had no means to move me to another project and they had very little overhead/profit that they could just pay their 23 employees with for any more than probably a week.
Yes, my company has lots of projects in both the public and private sectors.

I understand your scenario completely and I currently work with folks in that same boat - which is why I said it's dependent on the contract and the contractor/contracting company involved.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:07 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your NBC link doesn't discuss the Obama administration at all.

The Obama administration did make late payments to contractors.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...107-story.html
It addressed it a lot more than yours did since the one you linked concerned federal employees and not contractors. You do understand the difference, right?

Read some of the previous posts just above you by current and former contractors about whether they've been paid for not working during previous shutdowns (hint: they genera!ly weren't) before you tell me I'm wrong.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:11 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,215,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Trump not paying his contractors ????? I'm shocked I tell you, SHOCKED !!!
He never pays small businesses or individuals. Trump has a zero tolerance policy for paying people.

Why one would almost believe Trump is anti-small business and independent contractors (who pay for their own health insurance). If not, why does he try so hard to put them out of business?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
It addressed it a lot more than yours did since the one you linked concerned federal employees and not contractors. You do understand the difference, right?

Read some of the previous posts just above you by current and former contractors about whether they've been paid for not working during previous shutdowns (hint: they genera!ly weren't) before you tell me I'm wrong.
Actually, you evidently didn't read the two articles. Your article didn't mention the Obama administration. My article mentioned the Obama administration AND late payments to contractors. Tsk-tsk.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 AM

36,217 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
A bill that allows the federal contractors to get paid. Not sure if there is one, but after the last shutdown, some senators had tacked that on a proposed CR bill.
So the Trump is refusing to pay contractors is coming from not signing a bill that no one knows even exists or a tack on of some proposed CR bills that have just now been introduced in the Senate. How can Trump have the option to sign at this point?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:48 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, you evidently didn't read the two articles. Your article didn't mention the Obama administration. My article mentioned the Obama administration AND late payments to contractors. Tsk-tsk.
No, mine only addressed practice for past shutdowns, including the one during the Obama Administration, which did not pay for missed work during the shutdown.

Yours talked about additional interest payments accrued for late payments which were not processed during the shutdown for work performed prior to it. You really didn't understand that?

Like people say, comprehension is everything.

Oh, tsk, tsk.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
No, mine only addressed practice for past shutdowns, including the one during the Obama Administration, which did not pay for missed work during the shutdown.

Yours talked about additional interest payments accrued for late payments which were not processed during the shutdown for work performed prior to it. You really didn't understand that?

Like people say, comprehension is everything.

Oh, tsk, tsk.
Comprehension is everything.

So let's try to make this simple.

Your link talked about past shutdowns, but didn't say anything about the Obama administration. You said it did.

"Were you as upset when the 3rd party contractors didn't get paid during the Obama Administration shutdown?"

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-price-n957226

My link specifically talked about the Obama administration making late payments to contractors after the October 2013 shutdown, the only shutdown during Obama's administration.

YOUR argument was that no one should complain about Trump not paying back contractors after the shutdown he "gladly owned", because Obama didn't pay back contractors. But evidently Obama did pay back contractors, because there wouldn't have been late payments if there hadn't been missed payments during that shutdown.

Now, I believe that Trump will pay back contractors, depending on the contractor, because these are contracts we are talking about. While it will depend on the contract's requirements, the government will meet its obligations.

But my rebuttal is to your statement, "3rd party contractors didn't get paid during the Obama Administration shutdown", because it was an attempt to establish parity with the thread title, "Trump is refusing to pay contractors for work during the shutdown". President Obama did pay contractors for work during the shutdown. So if President Trump is refusing to pay (which I am not sure is true), then there is no parity between them.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM

58,736 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Stiffing contractors is nothing new to the shyster in chief

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...utdown-backpay

So far, despite all the hurried negotiations over the details of border-security funding, Congress seems to be in agreement that the government will not shut down again on Friday, and has agreed to backpay some 800,000 federal workers the salaries they missed during the previous 35-day shutdown. But when it comes to the federal contractors who also went unpaid during that period—up to 580,000 people, according to one estimate—it gets trickier. “I’ve been told the president won’t sign” anything that guarantees them backpay, Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Wednesday. “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.”

That is the LIFE of being a contractor!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:57 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,614,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So the Trump is refusing to pay contractors is coming from not signing a bill that no one knows even exists or a tack on of some proposed CR bills that have just now been introduced in the Senate. How can Trump have the option to sign at this point?
From what I can gather, he's heard about the bill proposed but maybe doesn't want to sign it.

Here is the latest for this new bill. Apparently the option to do this was removed:

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...-shutdown-deal

Quote:
A Democratic source, asked if the provision made into the agreement, said "nothing extra was included [because] Republicans refused to do back pay."
Quote:
The fight over back pay for federal contractors moved into the spotlight earlier Wednesday when Democrats accused Republicans of refusing to include it in the bill.

"Thousands of federal contractors have not been reimbursed from the 35-day shutdown. This issue is still hanging in the balance," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said from the Senate floor. "No one should stand in the way of that. It's just not fair to them. They were hostages."

A Democratic source familiar with the negotiations said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was objecting to including the back pay for contractors.
Quote:
A spokesman for McConnell directed questions about the issue to the Office of Management and Budget. Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), a member of GOP leadership, said he has been told President Trump won’t sign it.

A source familiar with the legislation said the administrative cost for implementing the new back pay requirements would be almost as high as the pay out to contractors impacted by the partial government shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies