Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Not a history buff, I see. It is quite common for marginalized groups to join together to have an impact that individuals cannot.
made up drivel that addresses nothing

Quote:
Andddddd you are here to tell us? Rights are whatever society wants to codify as rights.
Andddddd it's not about me, it's about rights. Quit deflecting, it's childish. And no society doesn't get to "codify" rights. Government takes away rights, that's the entire problem.

Quote:
What does that last sentence even mean? Why is your desire not to "see" it important enough for them not to have it?
lol That was too hard for you to comprehend? If a business does not want to pay spousal benefits to a same sex couple they should be able to exercise their right to do so. Because someone has the ability to do something doesn't mean they should. Granted you nanny staters don't understand grown up things like that since you are wards of the state and rely on government to run your life. Child like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Because they instantly get defensive, that’s why.
Calling you out for posting garbage isn't being defensive. It's called outing the truth. Anytime you want to discuss policy have at it. Or keep posting made up nonsense.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This June it will be four years since the Obergefell v Hodges decision. Yet, some Republicans refuse to accept that decision and have vowed to do whatever it takes to see it overturned. How have you personally been negatively impacted by the decision? How has your life changed for the worse? Why should the rights that LGBT Americans have had for four years now be stripped? How would it benefit YOU if gay marriage was suddenly no longer legal?
Why assume all conservatives are against gay marriage????????

Any legal decision may be challenged on its legal language and nuance, not necessarily on the intent.

To challenge a decision is not to have an issue with the intent, just the legal foundation.

Like abuilding inspector making sure the houses foundation is sound.

Meanwhile, activists and crazies run around screaming prejudice.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

It's not about me, it's about rights. Quit deflecting, it's childish. And no society doesn't get to "codify" rights. Government takes away rights, that's the entire problem.

lol That was too hard for you to comprehend? If a business does not want to pay spousal benefits to a same sex couple they should be able to exercise their right to do so. Because someone has the ability to do something doesn't mean they should. Granted you nanny staters don't understand grown up things like that since you are wards of the state and rely on government to run your life. Child like.
If you substitute "interracial" or "interfaith" with "same sex", do you still stand by your statement?

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
They've already been codified under the first 10 Amendments to the constitution known as the "Bill of Rights"
AND we have amendments ... which we can use to change those. Neat!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
These are very good questions.

I agree with the poster who said many conservatives are also libertarian - leaning.
Absolutely they are. Those aren't the ones being referred to in the OP though, and that was the point I was trying to make. Why act like the OP said, "Why do ALL conservatives..." when it clearly says "some", ya know? I would be right there with hawkeye if the OP had indeed said "all". One of my pet peeves is when people lump an entire group together, whether that person is liberal or conservative is irrelevant to me.

To further prove my point, here is yet another person claiming the OP says "all"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Why assume all conservatives are against gay marriage????????

Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This June it will be four years since the Obergefell v Hodges decision. Yet, some Republicans refuse to accept that decision and have vowed to do whatever it takes to see it overturned. How have you personally been negatively impacted by the decision? How has your life changed for the worse? Why should the rights that LGBT Americans have had for four years now be stripped? How would it benefit YOU if gay marriage was suddenly no longer legal?
Why do you keep instigating. I see few people of any political party that are concerned about gay marriage. There are people who hold strong religious convictions but not all are Republicans - some go to our catholic church and identify as Democrats. Older people sometimes have a harder time accepting changes in society as they liked the way it use to be - again their political affiliation has nothing to do with it.

I think you just like getting a rise out of people. Maybe volunteer someplace if you have so much time on your hands.

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
No such thing as LBGT rights. You get your rights as an individual. Your OP is garbage.

Progressives dont care about rights. Many don't know what a right is. This OP is a perfect example.

Conservatives dont want it forced on people in the private sector who dont want to recognize it.

Oh?

Where does an individual get the right to visit someone in the hospital if they're not family and not allowed to become a spouse?

Where does one get the right to certain survivor's benefits given to spouses if they're not allowed to be one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, because you paint all conservative with one broad brush and when they defend themselves, you say they get defensive.

I know your game.
You have reading comprehension issues. No one painted all conservatives with any brushes. Go read the thread again.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Andddddd it's not about me, it's about rights. Quit deflecting, it's childish. And no society doesn't get to "codify" rights. Government takes away rights, that's the entire problem.

It seems that you are the one who likes to make up rights. Throw in a few ad homs. Aren't we special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies