Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

In addition, NYC retail is in fee fall, due to online shopping.
Due to Amazon.

Why you think subsidizing the quintessential online shopping company is a good solution to the problem of local retail being gutted by online shopping companies is a flat-out mystery, but oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes, she did.
She is a very small cog. A vocal one but very small. People are getting sick and tired of billionaires getting sweatheart deals behind closed doors. This is something that is not going to go away.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:31 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Yes, she did. Let's say she aided in community organizing. She was the highest ranking government official who was out front against Amazon setting up camp there.

Ocasio-Cortez breaks with Cuomo and de Blasio on Amazon welcome

How key players are reacting to Amazon’s pull-out from NYC

Ocasio-Cortez takes a victory lap after Amazon scraps plans to build in New York

Ask the Congressman in whose district Amazon would have resided.

Interesting interview with Rep. Maloney. I like the point she made about how the left used to protest wars, now they protest jobs. Absolutely crazy. As an anti-Trumper I get accused on this forum of being a "leftist" or "liberal". But I have been a consistent critic of this kind of left wing nuttiness going back to the 1980s.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Due to Amazon.

Why you think subsidizing the quintessential online shopping company is a good solution to the problem of local retail being gutted by online shopping companies is a flat-out mystery, but oh well...
Incentives are available due to size. Great to add 25k $150k jobs of the future, while retail is dying as it is soon to be jobs of the past. Its no different than the Horse & Buggy. Its time is soon ending-out with the old, in with the new.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Incentives are available due to size. Great to add 25k $150k jobs of the future, while retail is dying as it is soon to be jobs of the past. Its no different than the Horse & Buggy. Its time is soon ending-out with the old, in with the new.
True. It's sad to see the changes online shopping is having on bricks and mortar retailing. And before that the effects of big box stores like Walmart on mom and pop stores. But the solution is not to make time stand still. If it was the streets would be full of horse manure.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Oh wonderful. Make us all dependent on the likes of Amazon, no more small business.

You seriously think that’s a great idea?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She is a very small cog. A vocal one but very small. People are getting sick and tired of billionaires getting sweatheart deals behind closed doors. This is something that is not going to go away.
They get sweetheart deals because of what they will bring to the community. I'm not crazy about it either, but I am also not crazy about people not working and people leaving the state (if I were there).

1stQ and they are over $2B in the hole from tax revenues. 25,000 high tech jobs gone along with the surrounding job base from the lunch counters and supply shops that would have benefited (otherwise known as trickle down economics).

If you want to stick to your principles, that's fine. What do you tell your constituents who need jobs? What do you tell your voters when the state is tens of billions of dollars in the hole and you turned down the most lucrative company from setting up camp and adding to your tax base?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
They get sweetheart deals because of what they will bring to the community. I'm not crazy about it either, but I am also not crazy about people not working and people leaving the state (if I were there).
It does NOT have to be. It's not like Amazon is going to quit growing because the city won't kick in half a billion in building costs. Amazon can afford it, Amazon can pay it.

Quote:
1stQ and they are over $2B in the hole from tax revenues. 25,000 high tech jobs gone along with the surrounding job base from the lunch counters and supply shops that would have benefited (otherwise known as trickle down economics).
A lot of that was nothing but hyperbole.

Quote:
If you want to stick to your principles, that's fine. What do you tell your constituents who need jobs? What do you tell your voters when the state is tens of billions of dollars in the hole and you turned down the most lucrative company from setting up camp and adding to your tax base?
Those jobs already exist somewhere. I've noted this many times. Amazon does not create jobs. It simply replaces them and then works to automate them.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Occasion Cortex didn’t understand the Amazon deal ?

Big shocker ! Does she understand anything ?

—-
Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday that US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was wrong to have claimed the collapse of the Amazon deal would free up $3 billion to fix the city’s subways and hire more teachers.

During an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” de Blasio agreed when host Chuck Todd said that the tax breaks offered to Amazon weren’t “money you had over here. And it was going over there.”

“Correct,” de Blasio said.

He added: “And that $3 billion that would go back in tax incentives was only after we were getting the jobs and getting the revenue.”

To further drive home the point, Todd said, “There’s not $3 billion in money —”

“There’s no money — right,” de Blasio said.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/17/de-bla...d-amazon-deal/
From what I have read- the first 1.5 billion was not Amazon specific. It was existing tax/business incentives that any company or corporation could claim by meeting criteria. The second 1.5 was going to be tied to meeting specific goals. So if jobs came up short it would not have been a full 3 million. It was very different from that Foxcom fiasco in Wisconsin.

I am someone that has become a stronger Dem voter as the parties have hardened in the last 20 years but I do not understand how AOC gets to be such an oversized presence. She is easily confused or wrong on most everything she says. She has a great social media presence- but so does Trump.

I'm thinking I need to head over to her house with a stack of Arby's coupons and ask her- are these 5 for $5 coupons (which by the way are now the holy grail that only come out 2 per year) worth the 12.50 in savings? And if so, can I walk into Barnes and Nobles and by 2 $6 magazines based on the $12.50 I will no longer be saving at Arby's?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
It does NOT have to be. It's not like Amazon is going to quit growing because the city won't kick in half a billion in building costs. Amazon can afford it, Amazon can pay it.
Amazon can also go somewhere else and get what they want. Why would they subject themselves to a hostile climate when they don't have to?

Quote:
Those jobs already exist somewhere. I've noted this many times. Amazon does not create jobs. It simply replaces them and then works to automate them.
If you say so... I hope Ocasio-Cortez stays on course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies