Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times

Advertisements

middle income in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I thought it sounded high but then supposedly this was going to be Amazon's headquarters, so maybe all the white collar management types?
The equivalent jobs in Seattle already pay on average ~$130k a year, $150k for NYC is in the right ballpark.
If they were to pay lower, they wouldn't qualify for some of the subsidies anyway, since tax breaks were performance based, so the point is moot.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
The numbers for the new Virginia location are similar. I've just assumed the are all corporate and tech jobs. Wouldn't be unheard of for a location 1 miles outside of DC.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,942,643 times
I desperately want to post something 500 times... does anyone know how to turn off the spam filter?!

Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Just asking...am I way off or might I be onto something? If you’re thinking “Desert, you’re an idiot†then you have my permission to say so and I won’t take it personally and whine to the mods.

You make that clear about every day you come to this forum

It means the "average" is 150k.... average can mean several things, in statistics we call 3 different things an "average" the mean, median, and mode.

What was likely to happen is they will say the top dozen or so jobs offer 250k compensation the next few dozen offer 240k next few hundred 220k next few hundred 200k, all they have to do is keep going down the line and ensure job #12500 offers 150k and they would be factually correct. there are lots of way to misrepresent data/lie in statistics. Its also as simple as offering the top quartile of jobs say a million a piece to skew the mean upwards.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Never let a golden opportunity go to waste....................... Desert, you’re an idiot!

But seriously, I've seen the ave. Seattle salaries quoted @ $130,000 and Seattle's cost of living is @ 17% cheaper than NYC... so that puts the $150,000 in the right ballpark.
Yeah, I get it but still...sounds misleading. But ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
LOL, if only we could sit on the sofa for 30 minutes, we'd retire.

Yeah, you're talking about a whole lot of people who would have to make corporate level salaries, with a small group at minimum wage to get to an average of $150K.

Odd that NONE of the news reports did the math. Good catch!!!!
Yeah, 25000 jobs???? I mean, the salaries would have to be awfully high or the top guys are making a small fortune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Desert you’re an Idiot.
Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
middle income in NYC.
$150k is a boss income just about everywhere in this country. That’s a lotta bread even in NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The numbers for the new Virginia location are similar. I've just assumed the are all corporate and tech jobs. Wouldn't be unheard of for a location 1 miles outside of DC.
I agree for the most part, but 25000 jobs at that average salary? Just seems...I don’t know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

It means the "average" is 150k.... average can mean several things, in statistics we call 3 different things an "average" the mean, median, and mode.

What was likely to happen is they will say the top dozen or so jobs offer 250k compensation the next few dozen offer 240k next few hundred 220k next few hundred 200k, all they have to do is keep going down the line and ensure job #12500 offers 150k and they would be factually correct. there are lots of way to misrepresent data/lie in statistics. Its also as simple as offering the top quartile of jobs say a million a piece to skew the mean upwards.
I pointed out the statistical analysis already in my first post by saying that it can be true while still being misleading.

But you wanted the opportunity to be mean, so have at it.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
You are an idiot if you think Amazon came up with the 150k figure... Who do you think ask Amazon to say that? Who is monitoring to see if Amazon is complying with that goal... NY ask Amazon to promote that number so they can sell the idea of giving billions in subsidies... There is no way Amazon was ever going to comply and no way the Democrats would ever tell you what the real number is... It's called a hustle, you been hustled by Amazon and the Democrats...

Old 02-20-2019, 03:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You are an idiot if you think Amazon came up with the 150k figure... Who do you think ask Amazon to say that? Who is monitoring to see if Amazon is complying with that goal... NY ask Amazon to promote that number so they can sell the idea of giving billions in subsidies... There is no way Amazon was ever going to comply and no way the Democrats would ever tell you what the real number is... It's called a hustle, you been hustled by Amazon and the Democrats...
Is that so?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I pointed out the statistical analysis already in my first post by saying that it can be true while still being misleading.

But you wanted the opportunity to be mean, so have at it.
Dont backpedal by trying to take a personal swipe at me.

I provided the statistical analysis that would justify such a claim and considering I have a math degree from
a private university(and we are going to beat our arch rivals tonight ) I'm as qualified as anyone to do so.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

In addition to the skew in averages versus median, it's not so hot when they have 12 years to meet the goal of average salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies