Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump declaring a national emergency to try and go around congress?
Yes 67 35.26%
No 123 64.74%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:26 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Democrats declared the caravans as a crisis, so that would imply its an emergency....

And just WHY should we accept Trump's O-P-I-N-I-O-N over that of the majority of a 535 member Congress that is Trump's equal in government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:26 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Dude View Post
Well, the worst thing that could happen to Trump politically is for him to not get the wall built. His whole campaign was based on building the wall and if he doesn't get it he will lose his base.
The wall will not get built at least by the scale he intended. He has already lost 2020.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,668,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
"I think it's nice that the President will be able to be a dictator when it comes to a cause I feel is important, but I don't like that future Presidents will be able to be a dictator when it comes to causes I don't like."

Sounds like a typical republican!
Exactly!

Old 02-14-2019, 03:29 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am glad President Trump will declare a National Emergency.

It's about time.
That's funny. It will probably take six to ten years to build the wall. Trump will be out of office before all of the property condemnations have gone through the courts.

A super-slo-mo emergency

A brand new precedent. I guess when hundreds of thousands of good citizens are under threat of losing their Medicare some Democratic president can declare an emergency too.

This could really work out ...

Old 02-14-2019, 03:30 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,274,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Obama declared thirteen national emergencies, eleven still active.
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/obama-...-still-active/
None of them were on issues Congress had just failed to fund to his liking.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
that's what you get for reading exclusively leftist ideology and thinking you are egumacting yourself on the issues.

the 1976 National Emergencies Act outlines what a president can do and what congress can do to check that.
It is absolutely clear that a President has the right (both constitutionally and statutorily) to declare a national emergency. in fact before 1976 there were more than 500 such cases and there have been more than 50 since 1976.

There is nothing "kingly" about doing what both law and constitution allows. period. you are simply wrong on your facts, and you compound your wrongness by leaving out the law.

Beyond that Trump stands on solid legal ground because congress has already authorized (not funded) building wall/barriers at the discretion of the executive.

This will get filed in the 9th circuit. they will stop Trump from moving forward. because they are leftists before they are Americans and their ideology is progressive over constitutional sanity.

It will get to the SCOTUS which will absolutely overturn the 9th and Trump will build what he wants.

legally and within the framework of the law.

only a blind partisan would think otherwise.
cool so jan 21st 2021 a dem POTUS will declare a national emergency over healthcare , over racism, over global warming....

Hell why not call Trumpism terrorism and declare national emergency ???

Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
My money is on BluffySen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, also cautioned against the move.

I think this republican is on the money
Quote:
“I think it’s a dangerous step," Cornyn said. "One, because of the precedent it sets. Two, because the president is going to get sued and it won’t succeed in accomplishing his goal, and three, because I think Mrs. Pelosi will then introduce a resolution which will pass the House, then come over here and divide Republicans. So to me, it strikes me as not a good strategy.” McBluff face doing nothing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...-trump-n971576

Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
My money is on Bluffy McBluff face doing nothing.
That’s only because Numby McNumbface is Speaker of the House.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once again the President has wide Constitutional powers to defend this country against foreign security threats and that is how they are going to frame their arguments. It's not an accident he has labeled it an invasion. None of those things would apply.
That he labelled it an invasion was for your ears, not the Supreme Court's.

It will want to know whether a national emergency declaration is an attempt to circumvent the power of Congress to appropriate. That's the Constitutional issue.

There the relevant words will be the ones Trump himself spoke when he announced last year this was his backup plan.

The man does have a mouth. The Courts may well use that against him as they did with the refugee ban.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
that's what you get for reading exclusively leftist ideology and thinking you are egumacting yourself on the issues.

the 1976 National Emergencies Act outlines what a president can do and what congress can do to check that.
It is absolutely clear that a President has the right (both constitutionally and statutorily) to declare a national emergency. in fact before 1976 there were more than 500 such cases and there have been more than 50 since 1976.

There is nothing "kingly" about doing what both law and constitution allows. period. you are simply wrong on your facts, and you compound your wrongness by leaving out the law.

Beyond that Trump stands on solid legal ground because congress has already authorized (not funded) building wall/barriers at the discretion of the executive.

This will get filed in the 9th circuit. they will stop Trump from moving forward. because they are leftists before they are Americans and their ideology is progressive over constitutional sanity.

It will get to the SCOTUS which will absolutely overturn the 9th and Trump will build what he wants.

legally and within the framework of the law.

only a blind partisan would think otherwise.
If it makes it to the Supreme Court it will get turned down.

Your post screams blind partisanship. You need to read more than right wing ideology. Trump might as well pull out of the 2020 election now because he has already lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies