Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump declaring a national emergency to try and go around congress?
Yes 67 35.26%
No 123 64.74%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
^I can’t love her more.

ME TOO !!! I really knew little about Nancy before these past mid terms, but she is one smart, tough lady and is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future. She is like John Wayne, the strong silent type....no grandstanding, just sensible talk coming from an experienced woman.

I loved her line about his "imagined National emergency".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:18 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
ME TOO !!! I really knew little about Nancy before these past mid terms, but she is one smart, tough lady and is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future. She is like John Wayne, the strong silent type....no grandstanding, just sensible talk coming from an experienced woman.
I agree.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Yes! Proclaim a national emergency to build a wall! Please!

This will set precedence for the next Democratic president to proclaim a national emergency for a national healthcare system!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Gun violence is a real national emergency. I look forward to the Democrats declaring it such next time they are in power. I'm sure all the Trumpies here will be happy that they gave next Democratic President the power through precedent to declare it as such and do something about it.

Healthcare is another one. And climate change...

I might get to like this new use of presidential power after all.

And you can bet the GOP is thinking about this, too.
Reading through all of this leftist crap, I almost feel bad for destroying your fantasies!
(Not really)

Securing the border is in the Constitution .... Taking away our guns is not.

Can't declare a National Emergency to remove an amendment to the Constitution.

If you can, Trump should declare one to rid us of elected Senators and see how that shakes out!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
I think it's an incredibly stupid idea that sets a very dangerous precedent. That absolutely does not mean President Trump won't do it.

I can't help but think this course of action would be a big political loss for him.

Are conservatives going to bemoan this "circumventing of Congress" and "abuse of Executive power" like they did every time Obama flexed the Executive muscle? I wonder....

Old 02-14-2019, 06:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Lack of healthcare is a national emergency! Please GOP, fight for this wall under the national emergency argument! This will pave the way for a national healthcare system in our country!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 PM

8,501 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Reading through all of this leftist crap, I almost feel bad for destroying your fantasies!
(Not really)

Securing the border is in the Constitution .... Taking away our guns is not.

Can't declare a National Emergency to remove an amendment to the Constitution.

If you can, Trump should declare one to rid us of elected Senators and see how that shakes out!
Sounds about right. What might be done is to declare a national emergency after the next shooting spree. Then use that to impose all sorts of gun restrictions, which would then need to periodically renewed.

How that would work depends on which of the reachable authorities under the Act applies.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:34 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
67% against, 33% for... pretty much matches national sentiment.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:44 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I absolutely agree with Trump declaring a National Emergency to build the Wall.

It was long overdue and so here we are.
Why? The statistics clearly show that the majority of immigration issues are due to visa overstays, not crossing into America via the areas that the wall would be.

So how do you justify this opinion?

Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not when the border patrol and ICE has said what is needed to protect the border, and congress doesn’t provide it.
No. Congress listened to CBP, analyzed what they said and allocated funds according to what they saw. This is what the Constitution requires it to do. If Trump does not agree, he can veto the bill and try again. But the Constitution is clear on this - he has no other recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies