Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 09:59 AM

12,952 posts, read 9,587,461 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNqJkeWBqJw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Wrong. Trump is collecting money from Mexico through tariffs. New Tariffs from Canada, Mexico, the European Union and others have raised $3.6 billion in their first nine months, and revenues for the last two months are likely to push that figure up to $4.6 billion.

Americans pay those tariffs.

Every last dime of them.

Not fake news.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM

8,480 posts, read 3,297,640 times
The Trump Administration on television today justified the use of military funds in this emergencies declaration. And it's doozy.

Caught the tail-end of Stephen Miller on CNN: We've got 4,000 troops on the border and we need to secure the area where they are patrolling.
[To reach the military infrastructure funds, the building needs to be in support of the troops.]

The Trump administration is willing to tell the world that they are building 30 foot walls to protect the finest military in the world from invading household units (60% of border crossers now are women and children).

Whatever you think of the wall, THIS ^^^ is ridiculous.

Not only the reasoning but that US soldiers need to sit there so they can be protected.

Remember under Posse Comitatus that US military cannot actual DO anything on the border.

They've been busy pitching their tents.

--------
Yep ... I heard it right ...
Quote:
If the president were to say we’re going to use military construction funds to, say, increase a perimeter around a base in Bahrain, around a base in Syria, nobody would even say anything about it and we have 4,000 troops on the border right now and as a result of that mission they need to secure those areas where they’re patrolling.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...rn_border.html

Hope those tents will have air conditioning. I wonder when they can leave?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:42 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,424,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do you have ANY INKLING as to how many people in America have had eminent domain used against them "for the greater good"? A new road, bridge, buildings etc.

Some of you act this is the 1st time HISTORY that it might be used!

"I doubt many landowners would concur.."

I LOVE these kinds of "I KNOW what others think" claims. NO data, no PROOF, hasn't ACTUALLY TALKED TO ANYONE INVOLVED, just an opinion based on NOTHING but their own opinions.

There have been MANY land owners interviewed on TV who WANT "walls" build, because of the dangers and havoc illegals have and CONTINUE to cause on their properties.
Our entire neighborhood was wiped out for Airport expansion. A rental car lot sits where my house used to be.
But we were given fair compensation and actually moved "up" into the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,895,616 times
I wonder when the Trump supporters are going to realize they've been had. Now we are paying for this wall Trump said Mexico would pay for. I hope you are satisfied paying more taxes for his lies.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,896,128 times
Someone posted this in a previous thread.

Quote:
Remember under Posse Comitatus that US military cannot actual DO anything on the border.

One very important part of that sentence was left out, and it does in fact authorize troops on the border(armed if necessary).
The words left out of that sentence as printed, and stated in the constitution are, "Except in times of invasion".

This country is being invaded at the southern border.
For those who don't think so, go back to December of last year and read all about it.

Bob.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 PM

20,679 posts, read 8,437,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wonder when the Trump supporters are going to realize they've been had. Now we are paying for this wall Trump said Mexico would pay for. I hope you are satisfied paying more taxes for his lies.
At least we get something for our taxes unlike when the Dems raise taxes. If you like high taxes, move to California. Gov. Gruesome will gladly take your money.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM

22,329 posts, read 11,853,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Hey look another person who likes to spout false equivalency fallacies.
Hey look another person ^^^^ who likes to spout false equivalency fallacies.

I wasn't talking to you. Dane apparently thinks that republicans always do the wrong thing while democrats always do the right thing.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,727,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

One very important part of that sentence was left out, and it does in fact authorize troops on the border(armed if necessary).
The words left out of that sentence as printed, and stated in the constitution are, "Except in times of invasion".

For those who don't think so, go back to December of last year and read all about it.

Bob.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...r-wall-n972116

Illegal immigration is lower than it was 20 years ago. A lot of the illegal immigration is from those who overstay their visas.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 PM

8,480 posts, read 3,297,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
That was me, Bob. I didn't mean the the 4,000 U.S. military on the border are doing anything, except sitting there so they can be an excuse for "military construction." Far as I know Trump (or Congress?) have not authorized them for action per an invasion.

I was referring to post #558. Whatever you may think about an invasion of illegals that's not the legal criteria for Trump accessing the military construction funds under the National Emergencies Act.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/declarin...tory-arguments

The funds cannot be used to build infrastructure for US citizens but instead to support the mission of the U.S. military. To make the National Emergencies Act work, Trump has to build a wall to protect the US military on the border instead of, for example, the US military in Afghanistan. The Act does not allow for both. Take money from the one for the other. And then, of course, the military has to be down on the border to protect.

That sure sounds like what Miller is saying ...

Quote:
MILLER: If the president were to say we’re going to use military construction funds to, say, increase a perimeter around a base in Bahrain, around a base in Syria, nobody would even say anything about it and we have 4,000 troops on the border right now and as a result of that mission they need to secure those areas where they’re patrolling.
Miller is maintaining the US troops need to be protected from danger because they have to go out on dangerous patrols.

I don't know about you. But that really strikes me as wrong. Think what you do about illegal immigrants, the troops on the U.S. border are not in the same danger from them as those in Afghanistan from terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies