Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 01:14 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As they say, '"hen in Rome, do AS ROME DOES.

When in America SPEAK ENGLISH.

You want to speak Spanish, go to a Spanish speaking country.
America is a Spanish speaking country. Nearly 40 million Americans primarily speak Spanish at home. So when one speaks Spanish, they are simply doing what 40 million Americans do. And since English is not the official language anymore than Spanish is (or Chinese or any other language for that matter), simply speaking any language, while binding to the laws of our nation, is being American.

You may want to spend some time learning about this country. America is not like your country.

(By America, I am referring to the United States of America - -as the person I quoted did)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
That's ok. In Madrid last week, I was refused assistance because my Spanish was poor and the Metro Customer Service attendant would not attempt to help me. Figured it out, anyway. Not complaining, about my situation, but this is a milquetoast beech, OP.
How is being snubbed by a rude service worker possibly equivalent to being arrested just for speaking Spanish?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I can't help wondering how often the "how dare you leave your house without your ID!" people get pulled aside, have their ID demanded and be detained by a border patrol agent while they simply happen to be out grocery shopping.

Gee, I wonder what could possibly be the factor that made it happen for these two American citizens, while it doesn't happen very often for most other people. [ /end sarcasm ]

Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I carry my phone with me. My phone doesn't fit in my wallet, if that's what you're asking.

I have an emergency contact set on my phone. My phone also has a message that states "if found, contact so and so"

I have no problem showing my ID. I do so every time I go to the gun range.
Fair enough. I never carry my phone unless I have my bag. So do you pay for your stuff with your phone when you go to the store without your wallet.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You can be detained for almost anything. That being said, he shouldn't have told them that he was detaining them because they were speaking Spanish.
I'm not sure what sort of authoritarian regime you think you live in, but that is absolutely not the case.

It's a little concerning that you would presumably accept that though.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Fair enough. I never carry my phone unless I have my bag. So do you pay for your stuff with your phone when you go to the store without your wallet.
Oh yea... I pay for everything with my phone. It's so much easier. It would be redundant to carry cash and credit cards.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
When the Mayflower arrived the Spanish language was already well established. It was the first European language spoken here and when I travel to Costa Rica I want to kick myself for not making an effort to learn it when I was young.
It's not too late to learn. I taught myself Spanish in university (after 2 years of shoddy classroom instruction in high school), travelled extensively throughout the Spanish-speaking world, and I'm now considered fluent. You can do it, too!

Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Oh yea... I pay for everything with my phone. It's so much easier.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm no proponent of illegal immigration, but something's wrong when a person is detained for speaking other than English.

Would it have been any different had they been speaking some other European language such as French, Welsh, German, Luxembourgish, etc.?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47249977
Isolated incident. Why is this thread worthy?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Who the heck doesn't bring an ID with them everywhere they go? Is this a hispanic cultural thing or something? I'm not even talking about for legal reasons either. There are many situations when you need an ID. Why wouldn't you just keep it with you at all times? Makes no sense to me.
People who don't have cars or aren't planning on getting alcohol don't need their ID. And if you switch out your purses or backpacks (like I often do, to match my outfit), it's easy to forget your ID.

And when I spend the afternoon going for a long bike ride or going surfing, I have no use for bringing anything that would get lost or get in my way, like wallets or purses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies