Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 05:59 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And we have seen them continue to be afraid of the NRA boogeyman. Even Trump talked a big game after Parkland to say he'd stand up to the NRA only to show he is a coward beholden to them just like the GOP. How many mass murders will it take for us to realize doing the same thoughts and prayers and nothing else is not doing any damn bit of good. It is worth a try re-enacting Brady Bill regulations on a federal level. Have it go for ten years and see if it has a drop on mass murders. Hint, we didn't hear of many during the period it was around. The Brady Bill was highly hampered due to the NRA mind you...
As much as I would love to blame Trump and the NRA, it just doesn't wash here. The Brady Bill was duly supported by the NRA, and passed by the Congress. As written, it should have disqualified this guy from buying a gun.

It failed, not due to any 'hampered' language in the law, but because the law as written was not enforced. Most likely it was a screw-up by the FBI, who conducts the NICS checks, and the Illinois State Police, who (I presume) conduct the checks for issuance of FOID cards (card required to buy a gun in Illinois).

Trump and the NRA had ZERO impact here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

It’s clearly time to grab some guns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/u...-shooting.html

This guy had already been flagged as not being allowed to have a gun yet he had one anyway.

Unacceptable.

Not going to sugar coat it anymore, if you are not capable of handling guns responsibly then it’s time to take them away from you.

We should pass a law making it really, really illegal for an illegal firearms purchaser to obtain an illegal firearm illegally. (Insert sincere nodding-head emoji here.)

Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Where is this confirmed?

https://media.fox32chicago.com/media....0_640_360.jpg

Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It's my understanding that even misdemeanor domestic violence should disqualify for gun ownership. Not to mention felony conviction.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.880a0f7a6a40

I can't find out much about the gun, which is reported to be a Smith & Wesson .40 caliper handgun. It must have had a high magazine clip to be able to shoot so many people. Thankfully it was not an AR-15 this time, or perhaps even more would have been killed.
Way to speculate , on that caliper thing..Lol

Most double stack subcompact semi autos
carry 10 +1 or more , and it is really simple to carry a spare mag, i know i always do. So just stop with the " high magazine clip " thing...Lol

Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
With a 'gun free zone' sign posted on the building, the shooter knew 100% that no one in the building would be returning fire.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Forgive him. A severe case of TDS. TDS has been proven to lower your IQ by 65 pts. Btw, the killer was a liberal.
Quote:
Where is this confirmed?
Quote:
That’s not a confirmation of what you said.

At least present your statement as what it is, your assumption.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
With a 'gun free zone' sign posted on the building, the shooter knew 100% that no one in the building would be returning fire.
Let's ignore the fact the guy had been in trouble with the police for years and should never have had a gun...because that would infringe on your rights to have a gun somehow..

Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
As much as I would love to blame Trump and the NRA, it just doesn't wash here. The Brady Bill was duly supported by the NRA, and passed by the Congress. As written, it should have disqualified this guy from buying a gun.

It failed, not due to any 'hampered' language in the law, but because the law as written was not enforced. Most likely it was a screw-up by the FBI, who conducts the NICS checks, and the Illinois State Police, who (I presume) conduct the checks for issuance of FOID cards (card required to buy a gun in Illinois).

Trump and the NRA had ZERO impact here.
LIES! The NRA pats themself on the back for defeating it. Firstly they fought the law even when it was first drafted in 1987 under a Republican President, it was finally passed under Clinton in 1994 (nearly 7 years later.) Secondly, the NRA patted itself on the back from the campaign they used to turn the Democratic House and Senate majorities under Clinton in 1993 due to running campaigns against politicans who voted the bill into law. Thirdly, they actually funded various lawsuits that removed much of the bill's teeth including Printz v. United States. I suggest research more so than just following partisan talking points in the future. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_...le_Association I know this is Wikipedia but it is pretty sourced.

As for why I brought up the Brady Bill, is the bill was ineffective by the lobbying power and pocketbook of the NRA as I showed above. Had the Brady Bill truly been effective as intended, a number of mass murders would have been averted. The problem is people believe the idea that gun owners deserve more rights than non-gun owners.

As for this situation, the problem was he was asked to volunteer turning over the gun after the conceal carry permit was ruled ineligible due to the felony conviction. We all know "volunteer" gun turnovers don't work, especially with criminals.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:48 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
That’s not a confirmation of what you said.

At least present your statement as what it is, your assumption.
That's far beyond an assumption. Do you seriously have any doubt? Be honest.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:49 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
That's far beyond an assumption. Do you seriously have any doubt? Be honest.
I have no idea if that dude had any political leanings. I’d say it’s doubtful.

If you have no proof, you’re making an assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies