Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It does not matter if they agree with you or not. Merely claiming to be religious does not infer rights upon anyone to judge others.

THEY'VE indoctrinated us all to believe they have some special dispensation because they claim religiosity.

I would suggest to you that your friendship and familiarity with this woman and her experience you speak of give you a right to your opinion...someone claiming to be religious and who has never met her and knows squat about her....no rights to judge whatsoever.
yes, plus, no woman in her right mind would choose late term abortion if she felt she had another option at the time. I am pretty sure the procedure is traumatic. Why judge them?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 125,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, God, the right to lifers will be out in full force on this one. Hang onto your hats.
We all should have equal right to life, don't you think? you are actually questioning your right to live or is it ok if someone comes to murder you in a horrific painful slow death?

You really gotta be bit psycho or sociopathic not to care about the bare right to be alive.

Funny how these things work....

Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
It becomes the norm to hear about abortion until it becomes acceptable. Children are dying and people are arguing for the rights of women to kill them. UNBELIEVABLE.

Nope, you are deliberately mischaracterizing pro choice; children are not dying and women are not committing murder; and a fetus is not a child.

I'm probably not going to convince you that a fetus isn't a life, as that's basically the most intractable part of this whole debate, so I'll be brief:
  • A fetus can't survive on its own. It is fully dependent on its mother's body, unlike born human beings.
  • Even if a fetus was alive, the "right to life" doesn't imply a right to use somebody else's body. People have the right to refuse to donate their organs, for example, even if doing so would save somebody else's life.
  • The "right to life" also doesn't imply a right to live by threatening somebody else's life. Bearing children is always a threat the life of the mother (see above).
  • A "right to life" is, at the end of the day, a right to not have somebody else's will imposed upon your body. Do women not have this right as well?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Nope. I am speaking of those that are. Okay? Got it?

Let me try and explain. There are children whose parent/parents receive assistance for them. Some of them abuse the system, use the assistance for themselves leaving the kids with bare necessities and sometimes very little food. These parents need to be investigated. Meanwhile, these children did nothing wrong and are victims. They deserve to be taken care of regardless of how no good their parents are. We must do that.

Yes, there are bad parents who mistreat their children who do not receive taxpayer assistance. We are not talking about that right now. At least I wasn't.
Any parent who neglects their children need to be investigated, not just people who receive welfare. More kids from poor families end up being taken from their parents by CPS, but part of that is because they can't afford to hire an attorney and they don't have a place to live that satisfies CPS. Unfortunately the CPS system operates on the idea that kids do better in foster care than with their parents so rather than help poor families find better housing or get the resources they need to care for their children they simply take them and put them in foster homes where they languish until someone decides to adopt them or they age out of the foster care system.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How many abortions are due to birth defects? Probably a very small number but the main debate isn't around that issue, is it?
The vast majority of late term abortions are due to issues like these.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sure some would feel guilty afterward, some would not.

I think it is important not to paint the entire group of people with one broad brush.

I've never had an abortion, so I cannot speak for any women who had gone through the procedure. But as a woman, I have to say that no woman in their right mind would choose late term abortion if she felt she had another option at the time.

The abortion is seen as regrettable but, given the individual circumstances, necessary.

This is just my opinion, I think When some drastic step is necessary (e.g., amputating a leg) people come to terms with it, and generally guilt does not enter the picture.
It is not judging someone to say that a baby dies and suffers during abortion no matter what reason the woman has for doing so. That needs to be said, heard and repeated. Yes, there are women who feel that it isn't a baby, abortion isn't painful for the baby, doesn't cause some woman emotional trauma later in life if not at the time she has the abortion, feel that it isn't a human life, is just a bunch of cells. She has the right to know.

Yes, some women don't give a damn. They have places to go, things to do and taking their pill is too much trouble for them in their busy schedule, drunken stupor, you fill in the blank. This does exist and to deny it is disingenuous.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
What a heartbreaking story.
I read it a few days ago and was in tears. I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster she was on, and still is.

I've known of women who decided to continue the pregnancy despite a devastating diagnosis, and know of women who did not. But it was their choice, weighed upon by numerous factors that are different for every woman, every family. I wouldn't fault anyone for whatever choice they made; no one makes that kind of decision lightly and every woman's decision is a valid one - for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
How about we encourage certain pregnant women, to have all the abortions they want, regardless of what term?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentTreatment27 View Post
I'm overjoyed she didn't get to breed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Next time, think before you spread your legs. Those three minutes of horizontal games will change your life forever. This woman is an idiot. She pumped out three. She should have figured it out after the first one.
I cannot believe the idiocy of these posts, although maybe I shouldn't be surprised that some people didn't bother to open the link and read the article before spouting illogical and uninformed nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
- teenage girl is raped
- teenage girl is forced to carry profoundly disabled rape-baby to term
- profoundly disabled baby dies
- teenage girl grows up, marries
- now-adult woman has three healthy daughters and maintains an evidently functional, traditional family model
Thanks for distilling this heartbreaking story into easily digested bullet points for those who were too stubborn or too lazy (or both) to read the link. I doubt it made much difference to them, but at least you tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
The thing is, New York law now allows a perfectly healthy baby to be killed at birth based on the mother's whim.
That is a falsehood and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
"Gee, those old people with dementia in the nursing homes?
Try to stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I am trying very hard right now to decide if saying what I really want to say to you is worth the punishment I would receive from the moderators.
The struggle is real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
Most females have guilt after an abortion. She's about the only one who doesn't
Since she didn't have one ... Apparently you didn't read the link, either.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Next time, think before you spread your legs. Those three minutes of horizontal games will change your life forever. This woman is an idiot. She pumped out three. She should have figured it out after the first one.
So you think she lied about being raped?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sure some would feel guilty afterward, some would not.

I think it is important not to paint the entire group of people with one broad brush.

I've never had an abortion, so I cannot speak for any women who had gone through the procedure. But as a woman, I have to say that no woman in their right mind would choose late term abortion if she felt she had another option at the time.

The abortion is seen as regrettable but, given the individual circumstances, necessary.

This is just my opinion, I think When some drastic step is necessary (e.g., amputating a leg) people come to terms with it, and generally guilt does not enter the picture.
I think your opinion carries with it merit if for no other reason than you're looking at it form a woman's perspective.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think your opinion carries with it merit if for no other reason than you're looking at it form a woman's perspective.
Yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies