Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the idea of 'sanctuary cities' or 'assault weapon sanctuary counties?'
I support both. 5 6.33%
I support sanctuary cites but not gun sanctuary counties. 3 3.80%
I support gun sanctuaries, but not illegal immigrant sanctuaries. 42 53.16%
I support neither. 29 36.71%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This is the path we are on.

Democrats are saying to not only have their states and cities not enforce federal law, but to actively not cooperate with federal law enforcement officials.

It is a road to anarchy. It is John C. Calhoun all over again.
Local LE was never mandated to enforce federal laws, so that is not new. As of today, none of the States which legalized pot enforce federal laws.

However, that was not the question at hand. The thread is about sheriffs enforcing local laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:00 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://splinternews.com/rural-sheri...new-1832601514

According to the above, it is actually up to 16 sheriffs now, but I can't confirm that. The number 13 has been widely reported.

Last November, voters passed some much needed commonsense gun legislation. Among other things, it put certain restrictions on the sale of assault weapons, and required that all guns be unloaded and locked in a safe when not in use. Failure to do so will be a felony, when the law kicks in on July 1.

This is why I warned fellow liberals when the issue of 'sanctuary cities' emerged. Sure enough, now it looks like we're going to have 'sanctuary counties' for assault-style weapons. We do have an excellent state Attorney General who has warned the sheriffs that they need to enforce the new law, but the sheriffs seem undeterred.

https://www.heraldnet.com/northwest/...r-new-gun-law/
Sanctuary cities are not constitutionally protected. There is a huge difference between the two.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:03 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the difference is that Sanctuary cites operate entirely within the law. These sheriffs on the other hand are actually refusing to do their jobs which is enforcement.
The sheriffs take an oath to uphold the Constitution. This law violates it.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yep.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM

50,287 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, then they shouldn't complain if they get shot by some maniac with a gun that should never have had one.
Especially if it's an illegal huh

Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
You believe it does, no court has agreed with you.

TO be clear, It doesnt though.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 AM

50,287 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:

Even in liberal bastion San Fran they do

https://sanfranciscodsa.com/the-oath/

THE OATH
PEACE OFFICER OATH OF OFFICE, State of California
California Constitution Article 20, Sec. 3. Misc. Subjects
[Required Oath of Office ]

” I, ___________________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I support the Second Amendment and not adding to the 22,000 gun law infringements already on the books.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Yes and Obama took the same oath. He gave DACA kids a free ride when he should have deported them by law.

Same difference.

LE always picks and chooses what laws to enforce.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:

The part about having to keep the gun locked in a safe and unloaded will probably be struck down. Depends on how liberal/activist a court can be drummed up, though. Basically, as long as the firearms you have aren't restricted themselves, the state doesn't have much of a legal leg to stand on when it comes to what you do with your legally owned property in your own home. The other part of this is enforceability. How does the state propose to enforce this law? No-knock warrants/surprise home inspections? This law is idiotic, at best. Unconstitutional, really.

As for regulations on those "assault weapons", this is going to have to be decided by SCOTUS one of these days. Going by their own rulings, we have two somewhat contradictory statements. The first is that the 2nd Amendment can restrict type of weapons. The second is that the 2nd Amendment applies to weapons in "common use". The AR-15 platform/style of gun is definitely in "common use", regardless of how you try to define that term.

The reason I say somewhat contradictory is specifically due to the argument over whether semi-auto rifles are "assault weapons". Obviously machine guns aren't common, and they are regulated. No conflict there. As for the AR-15 and similar looking rifles, their function is really no different than other semi-auto rifles that don't have features like a top rail or pistol grip. If the courts eventually decide that they can be restricted, then by virtue of that ruling, all semi-auto rifles are going to be subject to the same ruling. Then they'll have contradicted their own "common use" ruling.

I'm sure this is a huge reason SCOTUS has so far refused to hear any related cases. They don't want to be seen as 'putting weapons of war on the streets', but they can't well take away all semi-auto rifles, either.

Last edited by swilliamsny; 02-17-2019 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies