Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times

Advertisements

when Obama declared his EO on DACA bypassing Congress where was the NYT, WP, ACLU and the rest of the liberals about protecting the constitution?

When Congress told Obama "NO" on Syria and he went there anyway.....where were these defenders of the Constitution?..... The list is long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:43 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,099,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's really that simple.

One of the basic ideas of the Constitution is that (1) Presidents don't make the laws, and (2) certain powers - including Power of the Purse - are reserved for the Congress.

With this "national emergency," you conservatives support your guy just bypassing Congress altogether and implementing his policies (which he couldn't get support through Congress) via royal decree.

That's basically called a dictatorship. Might as well disband Congress and just annoint Donald as King.

If you're for this stuff, then you're opposed to the spirit and concept of the Constitution.
I'm an enemy. Why is it that the Constitution is seen as a Holy Grail?

Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
The policy driving the declaration of emergency is not the wall. The POLICY is national security. Securing the border is part of the national security strategy. The wall is a means to an end.

As chief executive and commander in chief, it is Trump's duty to execute the national security strategy. He can use the DoD budget to build the wall and there isn't squat congress or the courts can do about it unless they intend to amend the constitution.
I think you might be surprised.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

34,688 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I am honestly even shocked that he is pulling through on this promise. I've even stated on here that I didn't think it would happen because, thats how much faith I have in campaign promises.
I didn't vote for Trump, but I must grudgingly concede that unlike other candidates he is, by and large, honoring his campaign promises:
  1. Pulling out of the Iran Deal (JCPOA);
  2. Pulling out of the Climate Shakedown, err, Paris Accords;
  3. Renegotiating NAFTA;
  4. Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; and
  5. Moving the embassy to Jerusalem.
Not too shabby a record and only 1/4 way through his likely mandate as President.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,426,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well duh, of course, its not an 'emergency' to them, after all, they have to ensure the drugs keep flowing in consistently, cannot wage a justifiable drug war thru out the country if the supply is reduced or stopped.

Plus, many smaller police depts rely on budget money for the drug war, along with stuff they get from raids, busts, cash and property seizures, that are auctioned off, reducing or stopping the flow of drugs into these areas would be devastating to the depts and their families.
O your saying those along the border want drugs in America because they make money off it?

Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well duh, of course, its not an 'emergency' to them, after all, they have to ensure the drugs keep flowing in consistently, cannot wage a justifiable drug war thru out the country if the supply is reduced or stopped.

Plus, many smaller police depts rely on budget money for the drug war, along with stuff they get from raids, busts, cash and property seizures, that are auctioned off, reducing or stopping the flow of drugs into these areas would be devastating to the depts and their families.
You mean the drugs that get caught at ports of entry right? Trump's own HHS and DEA said that.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,781,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
From seizing control of the internet to declaring martial law, to freezing the assets of American citizens, President Trump can wield enormous power under the guise of a national emergency.

Congress saw fit to grant these powers to a sitting President, signed into law by Ford in 1976. Of course when they did that they were naive enough to believe that we'd always have a rational, responsible leader at the helm.

Apparently they never thought about the fact that this loophole could be a dream come true for a President with fascist leanings like Trump.

Mark my words, this won't stop with this first Emergency declaration to go around Congress to get his way. He has a taste for it now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...powers/576418/
Even still there is a system of checks and balances that has to be followed as to where they are thinking of obtaining these funds from. For example, it has to go through the Secretary of Defense.
As an example if they use military construction funds.
Quote:
Construction Authority in the Event of a Declaration of War or National
Emergency (10 U.S.C. §2808)
In the event of a declaration of war or national emergency requiring the use of the Armed Forces,
Section 2808 permits the Secretary of Defense to initiate or to authorize the military secretaries to
carry out military construction projects not yet authorized by statute. Any unobligated military
construction or family housing appropriations may be used for construction projects that are
“necessary to support such use of the armed forces.†The Secretary of Defense must report his
decision to use Section 2808 authority to Congress, along with the projects’ estimated costs,
including any associated real estate transactions. The authority terminates at the end of the war or
national emergency.
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R4471...tPnwbOyOs1aEUw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't vote for Trump, but I must grudgingly concede that unlike other candidates he is, by and large, honoring his campaign promises:
  1. Pulling out of the Iran Deal (JCPOA);
  2. Pulling out of the Climate Shakedown, err, Paris Accords;
  3. Renegotiating NAFTA;
  4. Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; and
  5. Moving the embassy to Jerusalem.
Not too shabby a record and only 1/4 way through his likely mandate as President.
That's one thing that is making more people support him. That he is honoring his promises. Which is huge. Especially when it was his big talking points.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 820,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
when Obama declared his EO on DACA bypassing Congress where was the NYT, WP, ACLU and the rest of the liberals about protecting the constitution?

When Congress told Obama "NO" on Syria and he went there anyway.....where were these defenders of the Constitution?..... The list is long.
Where was Old Gringo and the rest of the tribe?

Last time I checked this is a sovereign nation which has 20M foreign invaders, 60% of whom are raping our generous welfare system and stealing identities to work which is a felony BTW.

DACA people need to have a path to being legal, but the DNC is more interested in using them as bargaining chips than actually fixing the problem. Betrayed again, kids.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 820,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You mean the drugs that get caught at ports of entry right? Trump's own HHS and DEA said that.

Some of the biggest drug busts happened over the last few weeks.

Tell us, oh genie who knows all, what percentage of drugs make it through non-entry points?

You can't, I can't, nobody can because you do not know what you do not know.

I guarantee there are far more tons making it through the open borders than through the ports. But that is a fact which is completely ignored by the disingenuous anti-wall herd. HHS, DEA, USBP, and ICE have all said we need 2-300 miles of new barriers. The left chooses to ignore that as well.

If walls don't work, how can they be killing people?

Common sense abandoned.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:23 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,361,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's really that simple.

One of the basic ideas of the Constitution is that (1) Presidents don't make the laws, and (2) certain powers - including Power of the Purse - are reserved for the Congress.

With this "national emergency," you conservatives support your guy just bypassing Congress altogether and implementing his policies (which he couldn't get support through Congress) via royal decree.

That's basically called a dictatorship. Might as well disband Congress and just annoint Donald as King.

If you're for this stuff, then you're opposed to the spirit and concept of the Constitution.
Then perhaps someone should pursue a legal challenge to the National Emergencies Act and attempt to get it invalidated in the Supreme Court. You were also upset when Obama used it 13 times, I presume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies