Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

One day I'm going to figure out why Malibu is so expensive in comparison to Jackson, Mississippi.

Just gotta put my mind to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
One day I'm going to figure out why Malibu is so expensive in comparison to Jackson, Mississippi.

Paved roads, it really makes a price difference...

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Arrogant, snobby, money grubbing liberal elitists with no hearts who regard the Midwest and the southern States as fly over country. Nothing more repulsive than a liberal elitist.
Careful now, those are the job creators you are talking about.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, the drug overdose death rate in WV is 5 times the rate of California.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
^
2017 data:
CA: 11.7 age-adjusted deaths per 100K
WV: 57.8 age-adjusted deaths per 100K

And it even points out WV in the narrative above the map:
So, you get more pleasure AND cheaper land. What a deal.

Weed is legal in CA, tho, and not in WV.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 PM

426 posts, read 353,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, that's funny because I didn't say anything contrary to that.

BUT, there is no need (or little) for a Wheeling, WV or a Gary, Indiana.

I have said many a time that 80 to 90% of the US resident have voted with their feet and live in MSA's.

IMHO, the ideal is a little room around you AND all the benefits of culture and civilization. We have that in W. Mass to a pretty decent degree. Probably 100 restaurants in the little town nearby and area.....7 performance halls (hosting the likes of Bob Dylan as well as local acts), Museums, bear, fox, farms and everyone leaves everyone else alone. Hiking, skiing, boating, hang gliding (if you dare) and much more.

Not cheap....but 200 to 300K can buy something relatively close to town. No long distance driving required.

I've lived in podunk. WV and TN to be exact. I am SO glad we didn't stay. WV went far downhill economically...and TN is full of hate (both self-hate and hate of the other).
I think I just didn't understand what your definition of "city" was. I guess I don't consider a one resource mining town a "city." When I think of a "city" its more of the urban metro MSA type of city.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
It's the law of supply and demand (sounds conservative of me, huh?). It's so expensive because lots and lots of people find it a desirable place to live and/or do business. BTW, don't bring up higher real estate prices in the suburbs, because the suburbs themselves (barring some of the larger ones) don't have enough high-end economic activity of their own to sustain those property values. They are mostly residential and retail. There are exceptions (Plano, TX being one), but for the most part they're bedroom communities.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Conservatives and Liberals both like nice areas so that suggestion makes little sense.

It's a complex issue with no simple solution.

Look at one of the key dividing issues, guns.

Rural areas have a much higher % ownership and a vastly lower rate of gun violence. So it's not surprising why rural and urban areas would hold different positions on that topic.

Another one would be gays etc. which would be more the opposite as gays would generally migrate to more urban areas for a variety of obvious reasons.

I think if you go down the list, some may be about relocation but others are just a byproduct of the living environment in the area.
Show me proof that rural areas have lower rates of gun violence than pricey liberal areas.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
you are as bad as clarallel today. are the koch brothers paying you? hehe

Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I hear Victorville, Ca is inexpensive. Has Victorville not been "discovered" by the movie stars?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Redding actually has a higher crime rate than Compton now:

Compton: 3,834 crimes per 100,000 residents
Redding: 4,879 crimes per 100,000 residents

If you've ever been to Redding, you'd know why. It's filled with homeless, meth addicts, opioid addicts and other trashy people. There's no industry to speak of there, just low paying jobs. It's the West Virginia of California.
I live in Redding. A coworker said whenever his daughter was going to play softball at South Park, the parents would go around and remove all the needles.

And Shasta county is one of the trumpiest counties in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies