Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:30 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Sounds like bribery has been regulated! How many bet that someone that does not normally qualify, if they pay $300 instead of $200, they would probably be approved?!! lol

Although $200 is pretty steep,even for bribery.
Yeah for $200 and a slew of paperwork, that threatening silencer is magically turned into a benign object of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:33 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. Getting a driver license needs you to do stuff too, but as opposed to whining about it, most people just do it.

It would not bother me if you could just order one on-line, but it is such a non-issue, that I am not spending my days whining about it.

Ironically in Europe (some countries), it is considered rude to not use a suppressor. Its like taking the muffler off your motorcycle just annoy your neighbors.
"just give me whats in your wallet and I'll let you pass"
I dont know what constitutes whining in your book, but by my definition it appears as though you're whining about those of us who dont like being shook down by the govt highwaymen to purchase a safety device.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In conjunction with hearing protection, it is provides the least threat of hearing loss or injury. That's the point. Spend a day at the range, even with double hearing protection, and your ears know where you spent the day. Suppressors are simply added hearing protection, as well as a minor recoil dampener.

Basically, they are a device for ADDITIONAL SAFETY when operating a firearm.

Yet another bonus of the suppressor. The sound output over distance is much less, thus reducing noise pollution and potential hearing damage in the immediate ad near-surrounding environment.

Again, more safety.

Making suppressors so tightly controlled is exactly equivalent to making earplugs and noise cancelling headphones subject to $200 tax stamps and 9 month waiting periods...all because you seek to protect your hearing and that of others?

Suppressors vary in rating and in many cases you would be in the danger range even with hearing protection.

The reason I brought up distance was detection, adding a suppressor would make it more difficult to determine a shooters location and could defeat shot spotters.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
ABS is for safety reasons. A silencer is to conceal murder and nothing else. If there were any safety aspects to it, police would be using it.

Think of it. If a shooter in a classroom is not heard in the next classroom over, more unsuspecting victims await him.
So much ignorance in your reply. Silencers aren't silent. Thousands upon thousands of hunters have already jumped through the hoops to get them.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:58 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are legal in all but few States.
With stricter ATF rules than the firearms they are attached to, which is my objection.

Right now, this morning, I could walk into a gun shop and in less than 30 minutes walk out with a new firearm. If I started my purchase for a suppressor this morning, I might have the item by Thanksgiving Day. I have to do more paperwork, I have to pay more money, and have a vastly longer waiting period for a freaking SAFETY DEVICE than for the weapon itself.

Suppressor regs make no sense whatsoever. They are an example of the government needlessly regulating, thus controlling, thus oppressing people for reasons of pure fantasy and fiction. So, I stand by my claim that suppressor laws are easily the dumbest examples of tyranny our country can offer.

To me, it is like making seatbelts a separate part of the driver licensing and car purchase process. Each seatbelt you want requires two more background checks, a separate license, a specific tax stamp and a 9 month waiting period. Because, well...seatbelts! After all, the only real reason people need seatbelts is so they can go 200 mph without worrying about dying. Right? Nobody else needs seatbelts, only serial law breakers. Since politicians get their suppressor "logic" from movies and TV, it would be like getting automobile safety "logic" from the movie "Deathproof" where Kurt Russell has his car tricked out with stuntman level safety gear, so he can kill people in intentional head-on collisions without killing himself. Obviously, that's the only real reason to have seatbelts and airbags...right? Because movie said so, it has to be true, right?

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 02-21-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
With stricter ATF rules than the firearms they are attached to, which is my objection.

Right now, this morning, I could walk into a gun shop and in less than 30 minutes walk out with a new firearm. If I started my purchase for a suppressor this morning, I might have the item by Thanksgiving Day. I have to do more paperwork, I have to pay more money, and have a vastly longer waiting period for a freaking SAFETY DEVICE than for the weapon itself.

Suppressor regs make no sense whatsoever. They are an example of the government needlessly regulating, thus controlling, thus oppressing people for reasons of pure fantasy and fiction. So, I stand by my claim that suppressor laws are easily the dumbest examples of tyranny our country can offer.

To me, it is like making seatbelts a separate part of the driver licensing and car purchase process. Each seatbelt you want requires two more background checks, a separate license, a specific tax stamp and a 9 month waiting period. Because, well...seatbelts! After all, the only real reason people need seatbelts is so they can go 200 mph without worrying about dying. Right? Nobody else needs seatbelts, only serial law breakers.
That should be a big red flag!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That should be a big red flag!
Take even an expensive weapon, like an FNX-45 Tactical. $1200 for the weapon. Now, the suppressor.

Average cost of a suppressor on FN's QVL for that weapon = $950.
Pistons = $85 (depends on suppressor brand, but in many semiautos, these are required for proper cycling)
Tax stamp = $200
Legal fee for forming the trust that you will register the suppressor under = $100 (minimum)

So weapon cost = $1,200 (for one of the best 45s on the market right now), and the total suppressor cost = $1,335.

$1,335 > $1,200. Even if we take out the pistons, the cost of the suppressor is $1,250.

Remove all the ridiculous regs surrounding suppressors, and let manufacturers sell them in the same quantity as other firearm accessories, and that cost would drop by like 60-70% minimum. It's all so freaking stupid, and should indeed be a giant red flag.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Take even an expensive weapon, like an FNX-45 Tactical. $1200 for the weapon. Now, the suppressor.

Average cost of a suppressor on FN's QVL for that weapon = $950.
Pistons = $85 (depends on suppressor brand, but in many semiautos, these are required for proper cycling)
Tax stamp = $200
Legal fee for forming the trust that you will register the suppressor under = $100 (minimum)

So weapon cost = $1,200 (for one of the best 45s on the market right now), and the total suppressor cost = $1,335.

$1,335 > $1,200. Even if we take out the pistons, the cost of the suppressor is $1,250.

Remove all the ridiculous regs surrounding suppressors, and let manufacturers sell them in the same quantity as other firearm accessories, and that cost would drop by like 60-70% minimum. It's all so freaking stupid, and should indeed be a giant red flag.
Plus, any machine shop is able to make the same thing, for a WHOLE LOT less.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
ABS is for safety reasons. A silencer is to conceal murder and nothing else. If there were any safety aspects to it, police would be using it.
Spokane Police will add suppressors to rifles, citing concerns about hearing damage | The Spokesman-Review

Quote:
Rifles carried by Spokane police on patrol will soon be equipped with suppressors, a move the department says will protect officers and civilians from hearing damage.

“It’s nothing more than like the muffler you put on your car,” said Lt. Rob Boothe, the range master and lead firearms instructor for the department.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Oh, but its different when law enforcement needs or wants them!! LOL

Convenient how they are always exempt from gun regulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies