Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:13 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times

Advertisements

First, I admit it's not my idea. Something alone these lines was done in NYC (and might still be done):

1) Track One is ACADEMIC track: For those with the interest and ability to go on to college....a full four years of pre-requisites, including more advanced topics in the senior year such as trig and higher science.

2) Track Two is VOCATIONAL: For those who lack either the interest or ability for college ....the senior year focuses on marketable training for which students select a specialty. It could include appliance or HVAC repair, plumbing, computer repair and support, hospitality services, etc.

All students will have the same classes for the first three years. In the second half of junior year, each student selects track one or two for the final year.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:35 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
First, I admit it's not my idea. Something alone these lines was done in NYC (and might still be done):

1) Track One is ACADEMIC track: For those with the interest and ability to go on to college....a full four years of pre-requisites, including more advanced topics in the senior year such as trig and higher science.

2) Track Two is VOCATIONAL: For those who lack either the interest or ability for college ....the senior year focuses on marketable training for which students select a specialty. It could include appliance or HVAC repair, plumbing, computer repair and support, hospitality services, etc.

All students will have the same classes for the first three years. In the second half of junior year, each student selects track one or two for the final year.
I went to public school in the 70s (and graduated HS in the early 80s). This was how it was done (I lived in Maryland). The only difference was that if you chose the vocational route, you ended up going off to a high school out of your zone. Not all of the schools had the facilities to handle the vocational stuff; only a few select schools had the vocational shops built in. Not a big deal, but some kids/parents had a hard time arranging that.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
When did the quit using the two track system? It was that way when I was in school and I'm older than dirt.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:

Senior year is too late.
A lot of AP and college level stuff can be started in 9th grade (and is commonly already in play in the 10th).

Old 02-23-2019, 06:49 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Most already have two tracks, with the kids heading off to college signing up for the AP classes as freshmen and given how it shakes down, most of the classes in the their rotation are geared to college prep.

The rest of the students sign up for the regular classes and eventually end up at the community college with more than a third needing remedial courses in English and math.

Not nearly enough vocational training offered for the second track.

The town we raised our kids in had a great Voc-Ed center where the students could graduate with basic skills and certification in a range of fields from automotive, restaurant and hospitality, construction, trades, agriculture and forestry, technology, ...

However, these programs are expensive and when the measurement of success is scores on academic tests, ... well, you get the picture. Funding has steadily declined.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-23-2019 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
When did the quit using the two track system? It was that way when I was in school and I'm older than dirt.
Out here you just get to choose more electives your junior and senior years. Elective include hard math and science classes, writing classes, history classes, art, coding/computer classes, and a few vocational classes like police training, fire fighting, chef/cooking, and mechanic/auto repair.

I think this approach is better. Two track pigeon holes people when they’re still just kids. How many of you had a career picked out when you were 15? Electives let them explore things before wasting time in college/trade school on them

Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,601 times
I went to High School in MA in the late 70s, and there were two tiers - Business and College. There was an excellent separate vocational school nearby for the various trades around grade nine. One issue in high school was the inflexibility in allowing access to courses across the disciplines. Although I was in the college track, I desperately wanted to take shorthand and typing (does anyone remember shorthand?), which I knew would come in very handy in college. I cannot emphasize how important those two classes were in making my college studies easier. (Nowadays, I think most know how to type before they make it to school.)

There are not a lot of the vocational schools around, I think, and this is where some of the local businesses can step in - providing part-time internships in the higher grades for students who do not want to attend college, or perhaps even some that do. This would provide an invaluable pipeline of skilled workers - be it the trades or other technical careers - as well as providing a good academic base in school.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:

I live in TX—I taught in TX—my adult kids went to school in TX
Most TX school districts that have the funds to support a vocational strand with classes in things like auto mechanics, cosmetology, food service, construction, and others
I have been retired for 15 yrs and live in another district but I know my former district has supported a bond election to build a new tech center that was requried because of the growing need/competition for those courses...
They are VERY desireable—
My daughter had friend who took the cosmetology courses, was able to get her license when she graduated by taking exam in Austin and got job right after high school
She is still working in that field, has shop in garage at her house now and can work around taking care of her two daughters...
The auto mechanics strand gets help from local car dealers
The food service strands makes and sells food and is used to cater some school district functions to help support the financial needs of the program

Old 02-23-2019, 07:04 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:

You may need both tracks to prepare for some jobs now. For instance robotics manufacturing jobs requiring mechanical and advanced math knowledge but not a degree. Most vocational track kids will still need to get some type of post high school education in their field to obtain employment, a certificate at least.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It was never even presented as am option in my high school. Maybe some jurisdictions had it and others don't. If that's the case, it should be made universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies