Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef View Post
Pardon? I think people should be judged individually. Today's left (note: today. Parties are able to shift) judges based on various identity groups. You get more support based on how many victim groups you belong to. That's as clear as I can portray it.

As to your latter question, you can't be serious. Straight, white males are portrayed as bad in today's society. If you can't see that, you're just not paying attention.
If you keep repeating that baloney often enough, do you think it will become truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Down play it if you want but it doesn't change the facts.

I have no explanation for anyone that would vote for someone that hates them other than the degree of success the self-loathing campaign has had.

Millennials are set to overtake Baby Boomers as the biggest generation in the US electorate
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...the-electorate
At least now you understand why minorities don't support republicans.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Down play it if you want but it doesn't change the facts.

I have no explanation for anyone that would vote for someone that hates them other than the degree of success the self-loathing campaign has had.

Millennials are set to overtake Baby Boomers as the biggest generation in the US electorate
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...the-electorate
It sounds like you're downplaying the real results in 2018?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
As a 30s white male I will agree that the Dem party focuses too much on identity politics rn, but at least SOME of that focus has been necessary given the intolerance in the GOP toward most minority groups.

Since I am gay, I really don't feel that I can vote for many Republicans since most of them still either hate gay people or are openly hostile to the idea that most people have come to accept which is that everyone should have equal rights.

I am sure Latinos feel the same about the racist rhetoric leveled at them from Trump etc. As long as the R party continues to maintain this position that we are worse off as a country as we drift further from the ubiquitous straight white Christian America of the 1950s, they will continue to leave the Dem party as the only choice for many of these groups.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Can one of the conservatives here actually point out where the Democratic Party attacked straight white men for simply being straight white men ?

I feel like most of these arguments are based around someone calling out the Republican party for not having any female or minority representation, or because someone deeply homophobic or racist feels attacked because others support equality.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,734,817 times
I'm a straight white male and I don't feel "attacked" in any way. I have no idea where you people get this. I'll never vote Republican.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:14 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Can one of the conservatives here actually point out where the Democratic Party attacked straight white men for simply being straight white men ?

I feel like most of these arguments are based around someone calling out the Republican party for not having any female or minority representation, or because someone deeply homophobic or racist feels attacked because others support equality.
They didn't. It's getting closer to election time so the Trumplings are pulling out all the stops in their propaganda machine. They're desperate.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
For starters, send me a quote where a Democrat politician has stated that they "hate white men".

I'm curious... Who do YOU think the Democrat party is if not the politicians?
There is a distinction between people representing the party and the party representing a politician or candidate.

Anyone who is a registered democrat, anyone voting democrat and anyone on a political show giving their opinion in support of democrats would be considered part of the party. When they presume to represent it by nature of their employment and are payed to give their views. They don't have to be a politician to be part of the democrat party.

The FLOTUS isn't elected but they do speak for the party they belong too. Wouldn't you agree ?

Last edited by phma; 02-21-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
As a 30s white male I will agree that the Dem party focuses too much on identity politics rn, but at least SOME of that focus has been necessary given the intolerance in the GOP toward most minority groups.

Since I am gay, I really don't feel that I can vote for many Republicans since most of them still either hate gay people or are openly hostile to the idea that most people have come to accept which is that everyone should have equal rights.

I am sure Latinos feel the same about the racist rhetoric leveled at them from Trump etc. As long as the R party continues to maintain this position that we are worse off as a country as we drift further from the ubiquitous straight white Christian America of the 1950s, they will continue to leave the Dem party as the only choice for many of these groups.
So much this.

People lament the D's focus on identity politics but the reality is the R's are for the most part hostile to anyone who isn't white, heterosexual, and the right kind of Christian. I wonder why Trump supporters expect minority groups to support a President and a party committed to rolling back their civil rights.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That's pretty much the crux of it. Straight white fundamentalist Christians feel discriminated against because gay people or atheists have the same rights under the law as they do. When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies