Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 09:13 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Do you also apply that thinking to individual states? Let's say people in Kentucky can be hired more cheaply than New Yorkers...would the New Yorkers be better off producing everything for themselves?

I think some New York workers may benefit from that, but the consumers as a whole will pay more, so it becomes a net loss.

" Be hired" exactly where? In Kentucky? Or can you imagine the situation where those arriving in New York will be told "nope, since you are from Kentucky, your pay will be lower than that of the New Yorkers?"
I hope not, so let's stick to the first version.

Then when they are paid lower, then the prices in Kentucky will be lower too.
And when the business owners will be deciding WHERE exactly to open their manufacturing business in the country, they will be taking all these factors in consideration.
As long as it's still ONE country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
" Be hired" exactly where? In Kentucky? Or can you imagine the situation where those arriving in New York will be told "nope, since you are from Kentucky, your pay will be lower than that of the New Yorkers?"
I hope not, so let's stick to the first version.

Then when they are paid lower, then the prices in Kentucky will be lower too.
And when the business owners will be deciding WHERE exactly to open their manufacturing business in the country, they will be taking all these factors in consideration.
As long as it's still ONE country.
What I’m getting at is that products being made cheaply in other countries and consumed by Americans is a benefit to Americans. It may be worse for American workers in that specific industry, but not for the majority of the country.

The protectionist argument is that outsourcing jobs to foreign workers is bad for the U.S., but I’m saying it’s only bad for the people who want those specific jobs. It’s good for everyone else, because their costs go down.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
What I’m getting at is that products being made cheaply in other countries and consumed by Americans is a benefit to Americans. It may be worse for American workers in that specific industry, but not for the majority of the country.

The protectionist argument is that outsourcing jobs to foreign workers is bad for the U.S., but I’m saying it’s only bad for the people who want those specific jobs. It’s good for everyone else, because their costs go down.
The jobs are not being outsourced though to make consumer goods cheaper.
I have never met a business owner in my life time that started a business with the intent to make products cheap for consumers.
They charge whatever they can get away with.

If the intent was to make costs cheaper for Americans, we would have the cheapest health care system on the planet. Since preserving life is in high demand, they are able to charge sky high prices.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Which is like what? Half of the country?
No, those "cheap prices" come very pricey at the end.

When the whole country ends up with the "Wal-Mart economy."

Old 03-09-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The jobs are not being outsourced though to make consumer goods cheaper.
I have never met a business owner in my life time that started a business with the intent to make products cheap for consumers.
They charge whatever they can get away with.

If the intent was to make costs cheaper for Americans, we would have the cheapest health care system on the planet. Since preserving life is in high demand, they are able to charge sky high prices.

That's correct, and that's when people buy less goods, but of better quality, so less junk floats around.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

A high school education is no longer sufficient to provide a worker a job good enough to escape poverty.
Total BS!

I have no degrees and I'm in the upper 10%. I know a lot of people who are doing better than I am with no degrees! On the other hand, I can walk into any Starbucks an order some overpriced crap from someone with a B.A. or Masters in some foo foo BS art or social made-up study!

Bill Gates is at the 1% and he has no degree....unless you count honorary degrees bestowed upon him after gaining multi-billionare status!

Trump is right that the trades need to come back!

Last edited by USMC1984; 03-10-2019 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
There's another train of thought that says this gap doesn't have to be closed.

One of the reasons America is so productive is because of the difference between the rich and poor. iT shows that harder work and more ingenuity results in larger rewards than in other countries. In the UK, for example, yes a doctor or engineer might live a good life, but the life for a bus driver isn't too bad either, so why work hard to be a doctor or engineer? Why start more businesses and expand your operations??

I came from a poor LEGAL immigrant family and now make a six figure income. And I feel I've earned my current position in society. And no, illegals and people in the ghetto do NOT deserve free money from me.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
You don't. Differences between people are natural and expected and trying to engineer them out of existence is foolish and pointless.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There's another train of thought that says this gap doesn't have to be closed.

One of the reasons America is so productive is because of the difference between the rich and poor. iT shows that harder work and more ingenuity results in larger rewards than in other countries. In the UK, for example, yes a doctor or engineer might live a good life, but the life for a bus driver isn't too bad either, so why work hard to be a doctor or engineer? Why start more businesses and expand your operations??

I came from a poor LEGAL immigrant family and now make a six figure income. And I feel I've earned my current position in society. And no, illegals and people in the ghetto do NOT deserve free money from me.

So...uhmm... you mean any bus driver can become a doctor, if he just "works harder"?

The communists *haven't seen nothing yet*)))

Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
You don't. Differences between people are natural and expected and trying to engineer them out of existence is foolish and pointless.
Not to mention completely ineffective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies