Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you look at the actual data, she would be safer having anyone other than 3 white guys following her.

https://www.rainn.org/sites/default/...s%20122016.png
sleepy, that chart is confusing to me because they don't specify if it's real numbers or percentage.....

if it's real numbers and says blacks 27%......
black are somewhere around 10% of the population
if 27% is committed by blacks

Then it's saying 27% is committed by only ~10% of the population....or around 1/3 of the crime is committed by 1 out of every 10 people

Last edited by Corrie22; 02-22-2019 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Please provide the source of your definition of Racist. Thank you.

Never mind. I found it.

I will say if you never had a prejudiced thought Mascoma, then you are to be commended.
Me. I’m just being honest with myself that occasionally my righteousness fails me.
The people I hate the most are the ones who think that orange juice is just for breakfast. Skin color doesn't matter!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
sleepy, that chart is confusing to me because they don't specify if it's real numbers or percentage.....

if it's real numbers and says blacks 27%......
black are somewhere around 10% of the population
if 27% is committed by blacks

Then it's saying 27% is committed by only ~10% of the population....or around 1/3 of the crime is committed by only 1 out of every 10 people
And white men comprise 31% of the population but are responsible for 57% of rapes, and 72% of all rape victims knew the perpetrator, or were (or had been) in a relationship with the rapist.

It's complicated to be sure, but back to the question at hand, there is no reason to feel safer because three white guys are following you as opposed to three men of any other race.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Label it however you want. If it's racist then I suspect every person in this country has 'racist thoughts' and the word 'racist' loses meaning.

If I turned on the National Spelling Bee I'd be shocked to see more blacks than Asians; the reverse if I watched a college basketball game. There must be hundreds of similar examples where experience,
observation, and statistics make me a racist in your view.

I must also be misogynistic. If I needed help carrying a heavy item or jump-starting my car, and my life depended on picking the right person, I'd pick a male rather than a female.. Again, I could be wrong, but I know that males in general are stronger and know more about cars.
Misogynistic would have a separate meaning - it implies you dislike women. You however have a sexist view of women.

And yes, many people have racist and sexist attitudes, partly because we were raised in a society that ingrains racist and sexist attitudes since you and I were a child.

I think the crucial difference between the racist and the person with racist thoughts is the racist embraces his racist thoughts and seeks to justify them whereas the person with the occasional racist thoughts recognizes this and seeks to correct for them.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
And white men comprise 31% of the population but are responsible for 57% of rapes, and 72% of all rape victims knew the perpetrator, or were (or had been) in a relationship with the rapist.

It's complicated to be sure, but back to the question at hand, there is no reason to feel safer because three white guys are following you as opposed to three men of any other race.
nope.....posted graph combines white, hispanic, latin, etc...as all white...which they are

" with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States

Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
If you look at the actual data, she would be safer having anyone other than 3 white guys following her.

https://www.rainn.org/sites/default/...s%20122016.png
The "actual data" that you linked to strongly contradict your claim. Are you really unaware that there are more whites than blacks in this country?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am so sorry for your tragedy, but I think it is wrong to classify an entire race or culture based on only one experience -- or even a few experiences. However, if you lived in a neighborhood that had many blacks and 90% of those blacks were violent, then I think you might have some justification for your views, but I think that you should still limit that opinion to the blacks in your neighborhood.

Would you like everyone living in another country who only saw reruns of "Married with Children" to think that that was a typical American family? Some days my house is a mess, but I would hate for everyone to think that all white women were bad housekeepers because of just one visit to my house, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
. Jesus is still Lord of your life. I wouldn't blame God. I've been through all kinds of hell in my Life... It is me who turned my back on God and not vice versa. I'm still picking up the pieces of my life and will for the rest of my life. I don't blame God though. I made my own choices. I would give God another opportunity to guide you, and to walk alongside you in your journey. All things are possible..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you hold all blacks responsible for that horrible act, yes, you kind of are. I'm deeply sorry that happened to you, and also sorry if my opinion sounds harsh. I was robbed at knifepoint when I was 22 years old. The robber was black. The only opinion I formed as a result was that he was an ***hole. My feelings toward black people in general was not affected in the least. Why would it be? A few years later, a former friend of mine, another white woman, got angry at me for reasons that never were even remotely clear to anyone, including her own sister, and jumped me as I was leaving work one night. She pounded the hell out of me, and I think she might have killed me, or at least put me in the hospital, had a coworker not intervened. Funny thing is, I don't hold anyone responsible for her actions but her.
Guys - I know you mean well, but please stop. This person's story tells you of some serious trauma that she endured for a ridiculous number of years, and it didn't even end until 4 years ago. Stop. None of us are licensed and know how to handle those issues in a constructive way.

I can tell you, coming from a long running horrible experience, the last thing to do is tell someone how they should think and feel about it. Her feelings are not wrong. Telling her that she's wrong to think or feel that way is invalidating her. Please, stop. That does more damage than you know.

How you handled any situation that you've been in does not mean that others will handle theirs the same way. According to that poster, no one has listened or given a single damn how she felt or feels - so it doesn't matter what you think of it. She has a long, long healing process....allow that process to work, all the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of it.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
I am absolutely a racist, but my racism does not discriminate. I wholeheartedly believe I am better than every member of the human race.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:

Yes, there is. All of you're numbers are wrong or deliberately misleading. The stats you cited count Hispanics as white, so the real figure instead of 31% would be more like 40% (white and hispanic men) responsible for 57% of sexual assaults (not rapes), and 6%-7% (black men) responsible for 27%.

In other words, your own source says blacks are three times as likely as whites/hispanics to commit sexual assault, yet you're pretending the realty is the opposite. Isn't that racist?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
nope.....posted graph combines white, hispanic, latin, etc...as all white...which they are

" with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 76.9%"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States
That's the total white population, but male only would be half of that, so 38.5%. But that's male only, including the ages of 0-18, if we remove non-adults, perhaps we'd get back to her figure of 31%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies