Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, it's more uneducated.

I'm awaiting the inevitable link to the article that shows red state budgets have higher percentage funded by the feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I already explained what a "public good" is earlier in the thread.

Here, let me try again....with Mr. Giraffe and Ms. Squirrel.....yayyyyyyy!

Mr. Giraffe: Um, if there is a military base in Alabama will it help protect me even though I live in Iowa?

Ms. Squirrel: Yes. Even thought it's in another state, you benefit from it. It's a public good. Well except for Mississipppi, screw them.

Mr. Giraffe: Well, what about the interstate highways that cross states with almost no population like Nebraska? Do they have roadblocks and only allow Nebraska drivers on those roads?

Ms. Squirrel: A variety of cars and of course inter-state shipping crosses those roads so again, it's a shared good that benefits all states. However, no one that has ever entered that state has returned so it's all speculation considering the "corn kraken" that lurks there beneath the earth.

Public good. Those bases are as much job factories for high school educated and stimulus to local economies as they actually provide protection to the country. Many of the areas where they are located would barely continue to exist without them

Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Those bases are as much job factories for high school educated and stimulus to local economies as they actually provide protection to the country.

True, get back to us when you have an analysis that adjusts for military spending, road spending, multi state tax revenues and the 100's of other variables.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Public good. Those bases are as much job factories for high school educated and stimulus to local economies as they actually provide protection to the country. Many of the areas where they are located would barely continue to exist without them
that is accurate..no matter what state

if Fort Drum (New York) was to close (it has been on the BRAC lists a few times) Watertown, and the other towns around it, would die

NTC (National Training Center), Fort Irwin, California, is a major boost to the economy of San Bernardino county in California, Fort Irwin just opened a 211 million dollar hospital... if fort Irwin was to close it would hurt the economy of that county.

The closure of Fort Ord left behind a gaping hole in the local economy (The loss of all those people(36,000 in population) and jobs added up to a more than $500 million hit to the region.) and an area of land the size of San Francisco.

and don't forget, that these old bases, will usually be superfund sites from decades or centuries of government waste and abuse in dumping of chemicals.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...venue_by_state

Better list and more relevant.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm awaiting the inevitable link to the article that shows red state budgets have higher percentage funded by the feds.
Of course not, they are funded on state debt because the red states are also a bunch of progressive POS too.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Why should Alabama receive so much in defense spending dollars? What is so special about Alabama?
They make defense weaponry/systems.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM

18,559 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Thank you. That points out a huge problem I hadn't thought of. Those big companies in New York engage in interstate commerce, and the counterparties in other states are 50% responsible for creating those companies' tax liability, but that New York firm that actually cuts the check gets counted as paying 100% while the customer in Kentucky gets counted as paying 0. The two sides of the transaction are engaging in the same economic activity that creates a certain tax liability, but the fact that it is paid by one party and not the other is a meaningless artifact that results in a superficial difference.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Thank you. That points out a huge problem I hadn't thought of. Those big companies in New York engage in interstate commerce, and the counterparties in other states are 50% responsible for creating those companies' tax liability, but that New York firm that actually cuts the check gets counted as paying 100% while the customer in Kentucky gets counted as paying 0. The two sides of the transaction are engaging in the same economic activity that creates a certain tax liability, but the fact that it is paid by one party and not the other is a meaningless artifact that results in a superficial difference.

I have already mentioned this. A company headquartered in Texas is drilling natural gas in Pennsylvania and selling a lot of it outside the state of Pennsylvanian. Same issue within states themselves. Comcast located in Philadelphia is selling a sevice to even beyond the boundaries of the state and the rest of the state purchasing their services gets no credit for it if you are basing it on taxes paid by Comcast.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
So with the daily sprouting of threads trashing California and New York for running up the nation's debt and wasting taxpayer money, I thought I'd look up more details on what reality is vs. the rhetoric.

Turns out, blue states are essentially subsidizing lower taxes in red states.

Most of the top 20 are red states:

New Mexico
Mississippi
Alaska
Louisiana
West Virginia
North Dakota
Alabama
South Dakota
Kentucky
Virginia
Montana
Hawaii
Maine
Arkansas
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Missouri
Maryland
Tennessee
Idaho

California, the right wing's favorite state to hate, gets back only 78 cents of every dollar paid in federal taxes, meaning 22 cents of every tax dollar Californians pay goes to pay the bill for other states, primarily red states that constantly complain about them.
Of course they are. My liberal friends in MA have complained for years that they work there butts off and they do make high salaries--they've worked really hard to get there.

Then the rural-member Tea Party and the trump rural following comes along, and the rural minority think they should tell the government how to spend other people's money they have barely contributed to. The minority feels they should make the rules and tell the rest of the country how to live. It is something that upscale liberal residents of blue states really resent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies