Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 03:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
No it doesn't. The school does not have the legal authority to establish whatever dress code it wants. The fact you said that shows you know nothing, which is not surprising. They will be sued, this girl is going to make sure of it. And for all the accusations of me "whining" and being a snowflake - your post reads like an imbalanced individual - ranting about nothing, swearing. Grow up.
No wonder you didn't bother reading the article; evidently you lack basic reading skills. I very clearly did NOT say the school district can establish any dress code it wants; I specifically said they "have the authority to establish dress codes, as long as those dress codes are within certain legal guidelines." Are you going to dispute that one, too?

Quote:
Give me the USSC ruling here so I can read it. Sorry, I don't trust your intelligence enough to interpret it, I will need to do that for myself.
Then look it up yourself, Einstein, if you're of such superior intellect that you can't be bothered to trust anyone else, instead of just making **** up out of thin air and saying "is so is so is SO!!!!"

Considering how incapable you are of reading a simple two-sentence post, I wouldn't waste any time or effort spoonfeeding you links that will probably sail a mile over your head (if you bother to read them at all, seeing that you admit you can't even be bothered to read the article that we're all talking about in the first place.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 03:30 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Then look it up yourself, Einstein, if you're of such superior intellect that you can't be bothered to trust anyone else, instead of just making **** up out of thin air and saying "is so is so is SO!!!!"
Calm down, you will bust a blood vessel.

You're responding to a comment I made to another poster, as if I made it to you. I didn't ask you, want nothing from you, I don't expect much from you to begin with. So take a deep breath and compose yourself, and wipe your computer screen from all your spit, have a nice Friday.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:34 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Hatfield and McCoys, again. ( possibly pun intended )

It is getting rather scary, here in the USA, when citizens will vehemently argue any issue (real or otherwise) to intentionally arrive at the chosen tribal base camp and gleefully, angrily and most often unfairly, assign others to the "pick your label" opposite one.

When will this end?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-22-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 03:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Give me the USSC ruling here so I can read it. Sorry, I don't trust your intelligence enough to interpret it, I will need to do that for myself.
Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District, 393 U.S. 503 (1969)

Wikipedia has a nice summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker...chool_District

Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
No wonder you didn't bother reading the article; evidently you lack basic reading skills. I very clearly did NOT say the school district can establish any dress code it wants; I specifically said they "have the authority to establish dress codes, as long as those dress codes are within certain legal guidelines." Are you going to dispute that one, too?

Considering how incapable you are of reading a simple two-sentence post, I wouldn't waste any time or effort spoonfeeding you links that will probably sail a mile over your head (if you bother to read them at all, seeing that you admit you can't even be bothered to read the article that we're all talking about in the first place.)
I wore hats in high school and love to wear hats though. The issue here is my school didn't have a blanket policy, so it was allowed. The district I work in actually has a hat policy AFAIK. This school doesn't but labels the hat rude, while they didn't complain about the child's similar pro-Trump apparel choices. I'm sorry I call bull on only the MAGA hat but the Build the Wall shirt is considered fine.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District, 393 U.S. 503 (1969)

Wikipedia has a nice summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker...chool_District
I hate Wikipedia articles but taking a glance at the Wikipedia article (I will read the actual decision later):

-> The Court held that for school officials to justify censoring speech, they "must be able to show that [their] action was caused by something more than a mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint," that the conduct that would "materially and substantially interfere with the requirements of appropriate discipline in the operation of the school."

So just because a MAGA hat may be uncomfortable in that school, they can't ban it.

Now it depends on what the school's dress code policy is. Again, I didn't bother to read the article but if it's a blanket anti-hat policy then thats A-ok but if it's anti-political messages then that won't be A-ok. If it's the latter, look for a successful challenge in the courts.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The student's comment "...it touched me because I had never thought about patriotism beforeā€ is particularly true of many Trumpers. They have a warped and tainted concept of patriotism and what America stands for. She can wear her hat all she wants away from school. The MAGA hat is the primary insignia of a gullible person. Gullible for being a supporter of a traitor and con man and then doubly gullible to be stupid enough to voluntarily wear his brand thinking it is some sort of patriotic statement.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I wore hats in high school and love to wear hats though. The issue here is my school didn't have a blanket policy, so it was allowed. The district I work in actually has a hat policy AFAIK. This school doesn't but labels the hat rude, while they didn't complain about the child's similar pro-Trump apparel choices. I'm sorry I call bull on only the MAGA hat but the Build the Wall shirt is considered fine.
Yeah; that's why I said earlier that this is a really odd policy. According to the article, you can apparently wear just about anything you want on a T-shirt, but hats can only be school colors and either no logo or school logo. I don't get that, but as long as it's applied uniformly and consistently, it's apparently OK.

Quote:
I hate Wikipedia articles but taking a glance at the Wikipedia article (I will read the actual decision later):

-> The Court held that for school officials to justify censoring speech, they "must be able to show that [their] action was caused by something more than a mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint," that the conduct that would "materially and substantially interfere with the requirements of appropriate discipline in the operation of the school."

So just because a MAGA hat may be uncomfortable in that school, they can't ban it.

Now it depends on what the school's dress code policy is. Again, I didn't bother to read the article but if it's a blanket anti-hat policy then thats A-ok but if it's anti-political messages then that won't be A-ok. If it's the latter, look for a successful challenge in the courts.
Gee... if only there were some way for you to read the same article that everyone else is talking about, so that you'd be as informed as we are... something easy, like... like... a link to click, for example... they could put the link right in the OP, and all you'd have to do is click on it...

If only someone would invent something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The student's comment "...it touched me because I had never thought about patriotism beforeā€ is particularly true of many Trumpers. They have a warped and tainted concept of patriotism and what America stands for. She can wear her hat all she wants away from school. The MAGA hat is the primary insignia of a gullible person. Gullible for being a supporter of a traitor and con man and then doubly gullible to be stupid enough to voluntarily wear his brand thinking it is some sort of patriotic statement.
Good point. Most of these people wouldn't know true patriotism if it rode past them on a unicycle playing a trombone. "I wear this hat to support my prezdunt, so that makes me a patriot!"

Everyone who wears a MAGA hat is wearing an empty hat.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:56 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Since when is patriotism inappropriate?".....it's not patriotism. She is making a statement some find offensive. It has become offensive due to the association with an offensive individual....blame him.

It is no different than someone wearing an "I Eat Meat" t-shirt to a meeting of PITA members, it is done solely to get a reaction.....

Both are wrong.

Regards
Gemstone1
No. You consider it offensive because of your own bias you put on that, not because of anyone else. MAGA means "Make America Great Again". If you find any other meaning in that, it's alllllllll on you, honey.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:00 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:

Read the article then instead of demonstrating your ignorance and poor argument. The school bans all hats, allowing ONLY those with a school logo or color.

I believe by your definition you are now A-OK with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies