Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Tulsa murder rate is so high because of recreational mari...oh,wait.
The crime rate in Tulsa is higher than in Denver, because the rate of poverty in Tulsa is higher.

Denver poverty rate: 14%.
Tulsa poverty rate: 20%

If it is far, far, better for the people to be conservative, then conservatives need to explain why the heck there is so much more poverty in a conservative city, such as Tulsa. Tulsa's oil heritage evidently didn't do everybody much good to this day, since in its early days, Tulsa was known as the oil capital of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The crime rate in Tulsa is higher than in Denver, because the rate of poverty in Tulsa is higher.

Denver poverty rate: 14%.
Tulsa poverty rate: 20%

If it is far, far, better for the people to be conservative, then conservatives need to explain why the heck there is so much more poverty in a conservative city, such as Tulsa. Tulsa's oil heritage evidently didn't do everybody much good to this day, since in its early days, Tulsa was known as the oil capital of the world.
I don't like to talk bad about Oklahoma. I will never tell someone "don't move there". Heck, I'll consider moving to Oklahoma if I'm offered a job. However, when someone says "conservative cities are better than liberal cities", I find that stupid. This is why I brought up Tulsa. Tulsa is in fact poorer than Denver. I find it ironic because Tulsa has alot of oil. It should have less poverty. However, it has more than Denver.

Now, Denver and Tulsa both have high rates of rape. However, Tulsa has a HIGHER rate of rape. Tulsa also has a sad chapter in its history. Look up the Tulsa race riot of 1921.

Now, would I live in a city like San Francisco? Not at this point. Too many issues. I'm not worried about getting murdered in SF. However, it has other problems. One of them is related to feces on the streets. However, there are other liberal cities I would live in. Minneapolis, Madison, Denver, I would give those cities a chance. I would give a conservative city like Omaha a chance.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Colorado Springs (which is in El Paso county) is also known for being pretty conservative. It's the home of Focus on the Family, the Air Force Academy, and several military bases. So the 'liberal policy' argument doesn't really work there.....
There has been a large influx of illegal immigrants into the area, many of them linked with street gangs and drug cartels.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There has been a large influx of illegal immigrants into the area, many of them linked with street gangs and drug cartels.
Then explain Tulsa. It's a conservative city. Tulsa has had issues with crime before any influx of illegals.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It does not refute it. The other places have higher rates, but they have remained steady, while in CO it is on the rise.
As is the population. Do you understand the correlation?

Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
The OP is delusional as usual. If you are against legal pot and you think it is dangerous here in Colorado then don't move here. Crime has gone up because more people are moving here because it is pretty awesome. The OP used to live here and at one point he claimed he liked the home prices going up because it kept the riff raff out. Now he bags on it because it is yet another place he can't afford just like California.

The benefits of legalizing marijuana have outweighed the negative effects ten fold. We don't care if you like it or not.

3/24/2016: "I am from Colorado and I am glad it is expensive for single family homes. It keeps the riff-raff out."
Good catch. He is still angry that two beautiful states like California and Colorado are too expensive for him, and he had to move to Texas. Perhaps if he had better job skills and more education he could move back.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The fact that the problem has increased in liberal and conservative sections of the State proves has nothing to do with "liberal" vs "conservative", and everything to do with legal pot.
Yet you have ZERO evidence to back this claim. So, in effect, you just made this up, didn't you?

Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
The OP is delusional as usual. If you are against legal pot and you think it is dangerous here in Colorado then don't move here. Crime has gone up because more people are moving here because it is pretty awesome. The OP used to live here and at one point he claimed he liked the home prices going up because it kept the riff raff out. Now he bags on it because it is yet another place he can't afford just like California.

The benefits of legalizing marijuana have outweighed the negative effects ten fold. We don't care if you like it or not.

3/24/2016: "I am from Colorado and I am glad it is expensive for single family homes. It keeps the riff-raff out."
Here is the irony of said person's statement. High cost of living isn't keeping the riff-raff out of Alaska. Expensive place to live and it has one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Finn has a bad problem and long history of moving the goal posts every time somebody proves him wrong, and it happens every time he participates in a thread involving cannabis.

He thinks it makes him look smart, but unfortunately (for him) it just exposes his ignorance.
Agreed.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
As is the population. Do you understand the correlation?
If rise in crime was in line with rise in population, then it would make sense, but the crime is rising much faster than population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies