Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

As an African American I will gladly accept my slavery reparations due to liberal white guilt and white self hatred.

I accept cash, check, or credit.

On a serious note, if this gets people to stop blaming slavery for commiting crime or abandoning their kids in 2019, I’m all for it. But it will never happen so the black community must move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You are claiming that any black person who isn't successful is due strictly to the effects of slavery? People make bad choices all the time. I know I have, but that doesn't make me inferior.

Stop blaming "the white man" and own up to responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My children drank from colored water fountains when they were fairly big. They are older, but not that old.

You are well versed on the treatment of jews for centuries, and by countries. Now use that same logic and apply it what was done to blacks, institutionally by governments. They were segregated into neighborhoods, schools, theaters, transportation yada yada yada. That segregation informed them that they were inferior. What caused some to believe it and some not? That's the question.

When did the law permit whites and blacks to marry? We did away with segregated schools, but people figured out ways to get around it.

It's strange that you can accept the damage done to your tribe, but are not able to see what was also done to others. By most school board, city councils, county courthouses, and states in the country.

I remember living in Webster Groves Mo when a neighbor's house had a bid made on it by a black family. The buyers agent called the listing agent. She then held the contract until morning. The neighbors collected enough money to buy that house. And they did, in the middle of the night. Morning came and the agent told the buyers agents the house already had a contract on it. That was way passed the civil rights act.

Now we will all chime in and say that wasn't us. But we all knew what was going on and we closed our eyes, made up excuses. Just like we did when the St. Louis was turned back. Just like we did when promising young people had to change their names to get into college.
I didn't know you were black, but I'm glad to learn you are - and why? Because you strike me as a fair-minded, reasonable person, and I've enjoyed my exchanges with you on the Israel thread. Thus, I expect to enjoy this one as well:

First, I think slavery was reprehensible. REPREHENSIBLE. My issue is with Indentured Servant (I think that's the poster) who refuses to acknowledge that any current failings among blacks are due, in part at least, to their own choices. It is the insistence of blaming every single problem on slavery, which occurred 150 years earlier, rather than acknowledge some degree of personal responsibility. (My dad, for instance, grew up in a poor neighborhood with gangs, and while those boys "hung out" and got in trouble, my dad came straight home from school and hit the books. His choice.)

Second, I think what your children experienced (and you, I assume) is also horrible. SHAMEFUL. There is no excuse for the Jim Crow laws of certain states which relegated blacks to an inferior position. My earlier posts are buried somewhere within this thread, but I have posted previously that those alive today who lived through Jim Crow - and you and your family qualify - deserve reparations. As you can see, I would be in support of it to those who suffered through it, but NOT for every black person in America because 150 years ago, there was slavery. Two entirely different groups.

So you see we agree in large measure. Your post centered on the current - or recent history - of awful treatment of blacks, still alive today, via prejudice. (My family also experienced negativity when my parents wanted to buy into a neighborhood which, the sales agent blissfully and ignorantly proclaimed, had thus far remained almost totally free of Jews.) That is where my focus would lie, as well, in determining reparations.

If your children drank from "colored" water fountains, they've got to be in their 60s by now (and you....jeez.....old! ), the reparations we award them (and you) could go toward educating the grandchildren, helping with a down-payment for a house, that type of thing. I would vote that recipients check off the manner in which they receive reparations, and a check is cut directly to the school, home seller, whatever. I would be opposed to just handing out money, which would disappear into the abyss and do no ultimate good.

(Sorry if I'm not expressing myself well. I switched to a "half-caffeine" coffee this morning, and it is decidedly not doing the trick!)

Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Some are more equal than others right?! Fascism coming soon if these Dems get power!

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ction-chances/
They are trying to one up each other to see who is more far left than the pack that's running. Since we no longer have a decent media, no one says to them, "You've been on Capitol Hill for X number of years. If this is an issue, why haven't you done something about it in your CURRENT job."

Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I didn't know you were black, but I'm glad to learn you are - and why? Because you strike me as a fair-minded, reasonable person, and I've enjoyed my exchanges with you on the Israel thread. Thus, I expect to enjoy this one as well:

First, I think slavery was reprehensible. REPREHENSIBLE. My issue is with Indentured Servant (I think that's the poster) who refuses to acknowledge that any current failings among blacks are due, in part at least, to their own choices. It is the insistence of blaming every single problem on slavery, which occurred 150 years earlier, rather than acknowledge some degree of personal responsibility. (My dad, for instance, grew up in a poor neighborhood with gangs, and while those boys "hung out" and got in trouble, my dad came straight home from school and hit the books. His choice.)

Second, I think what your children experienced (and you, I assume) is also horrible. SHAMEFUL. There is no excuse for the Jim Crow laws of certain states which relegated blacks to an inferior position. My earlier posts are buried somewhere within this thread, but I have posted previously that those alive today who lived through Jim Crow - and you and your family qualify - deserve reparations. As you can see, I would be in support of it to those who suffered through it, but NOT for every black person in America because 150 years ago, there was slavery. Two entirely different groups.

So you see we agree in large measure. Your post centered on the current - or recent history - of awful treatment of blacks, still alive today, via prejudice. (My family also experienced negativity when my parents wanted to buy into a neighborhood which, the sales agent blissfully and ignorantly proclaimed, had thus far remained almost totally free of Jews.) That is where my focus would lie, as well, in determining reparations.

If your children drank from "colored" water fountains, they've got to be in their 60s by now (and you....jeez.....old! ), the reparations we award them (and you) could go toward educating the grandchildren, helping with a down-payment for a house, that type of thing. I would vote that recipients check off the manner in which they receive reparations, and a check is cut directly to the school, home seller, whatever. I would be opposed to just handing out money, which would disappear into the abyss and do no ultimate good.

(Sorry if I'm not expressing myself well. I switched to a "half-caffeine" coffee this morning, and it is decidedly not doing the trick!)
One need not be colored to drink colored water. And no, the are not in their 60's. The colored water fountains were in Weingarten's Grocery stores in Texas. I'd ask my blond haired, blue eyed children if they wanted white or colored water. It was a small way to say loudly, hey this is not right. The designations were on the water fountains. The kids thought they would get rainbow water.
But there has been no reparations plan presented by anyone that would pass anywhere. IMO, the people saying we need to do something are only asking for a serious as a heart attach conversation. The politicians may not be liked by the other team, but they didn't get where they are by being willfully arrogant and ignorant.
The people who were wronged need that acknowledged. That includes everybody. Then the nation needs to make a true effort to be what we say we are. No money need change hands.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
One need not be colored to drink colored water. And no, the are not in their 60's. The colored water fountains were in Weingarten's Grocery stores in Texas. I'd ask my blond haired, blue eyed children if they wanted white or colored water. It was a small way to say loudly, hey this is not right. The designations were on the water fountains. The kids thought they would get rainbow water.
But there has been no reparations plan presented by anyone that would pass anywhere. IMO, the people saying we need to do something are only asking for a serious as a heart attach conversation. The politicians may not be liked by the other team, but they didn't get where they are by being willfully arrogant and ignorant.
The people who were wronged need that acknowledged. That includes everybody. Then the nation needs to make a true effort to be what we say we are. No money need change hands.
Well geez Louise.....I got that wrong! I thought when you said your kids drank from the colored water fountain that you raised them in the Jim Crow South in the '50s and early 60's. Since that's not the case, no reparations for you!

As for an acknowledgement, everyone knows slavery was wrong. That's been acknowledged over and over.

And we've done more than simply acknowledge it. We introduced affirmative action to give blacks an advantage over whites in college and grad school admissions to make up for past wrongs and the disadvantage they caused. That is a form of reparations - and better than money. It's a real leg up in the world.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
It goes both ways.

What would happen to a white family if they bought a house in the cheapest part of any major city in the US, aka ghetto?

They'd be robbed and murdered within a week. Probably within 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies