Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Well, his admission isn’t shocking, only that he admitted it is shocking. I knew this all along.

Basically, he admits that the GOP would’ve screamed bloody murder if Obama had even dreamed of passing criminal justice reform. Check this out:

Quote:
Obama couldn't have done it," Bryant said at a criminal justice reform panel during the first day of the National Governors Association winter meeting in Washington, D.C.

"Because quite honestly, a lot of us probably, people probably would've screamed and hollered, 'Oh, oh my goodness, he's gonna turn them all out on our communities, and there's going to be pillaging and crime, and there they go again.' "

Bryant added that Trump's endorsement of the bill likely led people to realize that they should "stop shouting and listen a little bit," before adding that the push to overhaul the nation's criminal justice system was "remarkable."
This my friends is EXACTLY why the GOP can’t get AA support, among many other reasons.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...d-if-obama?amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Trump did it. Does he have your support?

Old 02-24-2019, 02:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, his admission isn’t shocking, only that he admitted it is shocking. I knew this all along.

Basically, he admits that the GOP would’ve screamed bloody murder if Obama had even dreamed of passing criminal justice reform. Check this out:

This my friends is EXACTLY why the GOP can’t get AA support, among many other reasons.
The GOP can't get AA support because the GOP are the taxpayers. They want what we produce, and we don't want to give it to them -- and rightfully so.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Why would the GOP scream bloody murder if Obama had come up with the idea of and pushed for criminal justice reform?

Is it a black and white thing or is it simply petty politics like how the Dems who were once for a wall are now adamantly opposed to one just because they hate the guy who wants it?

I think the AA community is smartening up and realizing that what the Dems are now pushing as in Rights for would be illegal aliens will eventually bury them. The Dems are always pounding on the racism victim identity politics drum and now some of the would be candidates are talking reparations for slavery. Don't listen folks they are pandering for your votes.

The Dems= amnesty for millions= they are coming for your jobs once given the legal ok to work.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
... and why the Dems don't have to do a single thing to earn most of the AA vote.

If you are going to vote a certain way based on a single issue, who cares if you get jobs, or if predominately AA communities are safe or not. Doesn't matter, right?

Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
He may be right, but the criminal justice reform movement has been pushed for years by libertarian leaning conservatives (remember them?) including Norquist and the Koch's who regard it as too government empowering.

And don't forget, that while some progress has been made at the federal level, many red state Republicans are owned by the private prison lobby and are still passing laws to jail people for minor and victimless crimes to ensure a steady business for these enterprises.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:

No shortage of Republicans we’re outraged. when Obama/ Holder broached the topic of prison/ sentencing reform and addressing those who had been sentenced in different eras for crimes that would carry a substantially lighter sentence today.

Reminds me of the polls that asked respondents to compare Obamacare and the ACA. Obamacare did not do well, while the ACA did.

Obviously, some people cannot see beyond a political lens. There are reasons why there are more Unaffiliated / Independents than there are either Republicans or Democrats.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:

He's absolutely right and he's telling the truth. Good for him. The first black president would have had NO support from Republicans on any kind of prison reform; let's not kid ourselves.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 PM

18,463 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Obama and the dems passed....."we have to pass it so we can read what's in it"

...I'm pretty sure they could have passed anything they wanted to

Old 02-24-2019, 05:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Trump did it. Does he have your support?
Never.

I’m not a one issue voter. Are you? Criminal justice reform helps white folks too. If it didn’t, the Republicans wouldn’t be behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies