Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
How is that “bashing” rural America?
The Emmitt Till murder 64 years ago is continually rehashed in order to portray rural white Southerners as violent bigots.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 02-25-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,741,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Maher is a complicated individual..... a comedian who clearly is liberal but is actually funny at times. He is the only one on the left that I am remembering, warning about the dangers of Islam. No I don't agree with all of his ideas or comedy but I'll respect him for being smart.
It's interesting, because I'm on the left side of the aisle and I like Bill Maher (been watching since '06), but most other liberals I know can't stand him, especially the ones that trend toward SJWism. I usually hear comments along the lines of "he's an ass" or "he's an Islamophobe". He definitely gets under the skin of people on both sides.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,290,146 times
Sadly, I have found that this is a common mindset among the so-called elite in this country.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
While one may not have liked some of the "mocking" Bill made about some of the people in the flyover states, Bill was spot-on about Amazon and other companies needing to set up HQs there. That's the real way to "unify" the country. And if you listened to the whole spiel on his disgust with Amazon going places they aren't needed or wanted, you'd see that he actually has some compassion and care for the state of some of these areas. Bill Maher heavily plays these areas on his road shows and meets the people there and he knows they want for better. They want better employment opportunities. I happen to agree with him on his stance on Amazon or any of the other big companies. Do some good and fill in the rest of America with jobs and opportunities.
I respect Maher for this, and think his heart's in the right place, but I have to disagree with him here. It's not Amazon's problem to "unify the country." Amazon's primary interest is in making money. They don't care about building in places where they are wanted or needed; they only care about building in places that are the best for them. If the people who live in and govern the flyover states want to be that kind of place, then they need to develop the physical infrastructure and the intelligent, educated talent pools that large companies look for.

But they don't do that. They don't want to do that. In fact, they frequently brag about not wanting to do that; they often wave that around like a bloodied battle flag, the red badge of courage. You even see people in this thread boasting about how they don't want to be that kind of place. They don't want to be unified, don't want to do what it would take to be unified.

So... OK, then. They're just going to continue to be the kind of place that the movers and shakers in this economy fly over, instead of landing at. That's their deliberate and conscious choice, so - more power to them, and best of luck. Hang in there, folks - only 5 more months until the state fair! Is Dolly coming back this year, or is it going to be Eddie Montgomery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You don't think you can find some folks to work in a freaking warehouse? Oh wait - it's office jobs....
3 problems with that. First, we're not talking about warehouses and distribution centers. Amazon already has many more of those in red states than they do in blue states, so if that's all you're asking of them, you should have no beef with them. What we were talking about is whether Amazon should build large headquarters-type operations in Middle America.

2nd, if we are then talking about office and administrative jobs (as you mention ), then there is a lot more to it than just finding warm bodies. Elite corporations don't just want people who can sit in a chair and type; they want intelligent, educated, talented people who will excel at their jobs and move the company forward. Most of the people they want to hire have no interest in living in Kansas or Kentucky.

3rd, large companies usually want their headquarters located within convenient access to other large companies and financial centers, so visitors can reach them more easily and their own employees can travel more quickly and efficiently. They want to be located in an area where there is a large airport, not in a region where the indigenous population still runs out into the front yard to point up at the sky when an airplane flies over.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,948,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The Emmitt Till murder 64 years ago is continually rehashed in order to portray rural white Southerners as violent bigots.

I grew up in the rural white south. Its pretty accurate. Obviously can't paint all with that brush but there may be 10-15% that are violent bigots but another 70% that simply tolerate it. I definitely remember in the mid-80's watching a Klan rally in the downtown of my central NC town.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,687 times
Bill Maher is the joke! I enjoy knowing how much he pays for his security and life behind a wall.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Id take this post more seriously if people on the right didnt already do the same when speaking of people on the left.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,570,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
LOL watched the clip. Too funny how all of these smug smartest people in the room crowd just don't get it. Let us tell you how to live your life because we are smarter and live in the "trendy" areas. You too dumb common folk need to listen to US. Talk about living in a bubble. THIS is a major reason why Trump was elected. The elitists and want-to-be elitists still don't get it to this day.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
LOL watched the clip. Too funny how all of these smug smartest people in the room crowd just don't get it. Let us tell you how to live your life because we are smarter and live in the "trendy" areas. You too dumb common folk need to listen to US. Talk about living in a bubble. THIS is a major reason why Trump was elected. The elitists and want-to-be elitists still don't get it to this day.
It's still bouncing right off of your head - we don't CARE how y'all live your lives. Y'all can live any way you want to live; the only complaint we have is that you continually vote for idiotic, un-American scum like Trump, McConnell, and Ryan - who **** up our lives and the lives of our children. Other than that, we would pay absolutely zero attention to the choices you make. You wanna live in 3rd world ****holes where the only thing that's open on Sundays are the churches, and treating yourselves to a nice dinner means extra pickles on that Big Mac, knock yourselves out. We. Don't. CARE.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM

528 posts, read 227,952 times
The average Trump voter makes more money in the last election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies