Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM

804 posts, read 540,594 times

Advertisements

Between 2001 and now it is strongly suggested that a Jewry ( the business and daily lives of Jews in the United States and other first world nations ) have a strong impact on gentiles who are seen as walking piggy-banks, human-shields, and ***-dumpsters who lives do not matter.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,464,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Between 2001 and now it is strongly suggested that a Jewry ( the business and daily lives of Jews in the United States and other first world nations ) have a strong impact on gentiles who are seen as walking piggy-banks, human-shields, and ***-dumpsters who lives do not matter.
OMG. The antisemitism on this thread just keeps getting worse and worse.

It's all based on jealousy.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,235,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
(I put the following is an unrelated thread, but it's really worthy if its own thread).....

The anti-Semitism on the left is spreading. And for those anti-Isrseli leftists who keep insisting that being against Israel does not have Antisemitisim at its root, let me ask you the following:

Why are leftists choosing to denigrate Israel, protesting with the anti-Israel BDS movement, when we barely hear a peep against against countries that are truly brutalizing Muslims? What about the Buddhist country of Mynamer (sp?), and what they've done do the 1 million Rochingya Muslims in that country? The Buddhists won't even allow Muslims to be citizen there (while Israel has Muslims in elected leadership positions)! And what about Syria and its treatment? What about the Kurds? I could go on and on.

WHY is the condemnation focused solely on the Jewish country? Why are leftists so willing - and even eager - to condemn Jews, yet there's not a word about other countries doing far worse?

Here's an article showing the tie between the hard left and Nazism:

Why Such a Surge of Worldwide Anti-Semitism, by Alan Dershowitz — Dr. Naomi on Israel
[/quote]

Criticizing Israel, and rightfully so, is not Anti - Semitic. If the critique is of its human rights, civil rights, and other violations they bare valid. Not the fact that it should not exist. And to critique is not to hate. Your statement is over-arching and rooted in an inherent bias of some sorts. They have left leaning individuals whom are Jewish...

Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,015,945 times
Quote:

It's all based on jealousy.
Why should everyone be jealous of you? You said you pay the bills, mortgage and car loans. Why are you incensed when someone is jealous of elites and politicians who treat Americans like crap? Tell me frankly, if one does not have a good job and a decent med ins, they are nearly doomed. Earlier I used to see only black people standing in lights with help signs. Now I even see middle class aged white women and old senior citizens.

I think the anger of most people here is directed at those people who game the system.

Last edited by shanv3; 03-14-2019 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,405,994 times
Quote:
Your whole thread is based upon trolling and baiting. You are baiting people with predictable results.

Being critical of any government is not the same as being prejudiced against a religious group. Most of the criticism of Israel is well deserved. If you did a blind study and asked people "what would you think of a government that did this ... this ... and this" without identifying which country it was most people would say "that's wrong", right out of the box, because it is wrong. Israel doesn't get a special pass just because it is dominated by Jewish people.

There are no perfect nations anywhere. The USA has had it's own share of abusive behavior, and we know it. We are quite capable of criticizing our own country. If we are going to discuss world issues every nation is open to examination and criticism, including Israel, no exceptions.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 AM

18,423 posts, read 15,165,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People should be able to take some ribbing.

Homer Simpson makes fun of middle class white guys. Does that offend me? No.

That doesn't even touch on Ned Flanders.
So, if I made a parade float with a black guy wielding a knife, mugging someone. And then, maybe, add to the float a welfare queen wearing a crown, eating a bucket of fried chicken and watermelon, with 6 kids running around her. That would be considered “ribbing” to you? That would be pretty funny, right? I am sure everyone else would find it funny too, because, after all, it is just ribbing.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 AM

8,480 posts, read 3,298,878 times
Quote:
In other words, many progressives are insisting that not only is criticism of broad and extreme condemnation of Israel NOT anti-Semitic, but that is NEVER is anti-Semitic. And that, my friends, is hogwash. All it takes is to read some posts and watch how many posters almost seamlessly transition from complaining about Israel's commission of "genocide" (someone needs to look up the definition!) to nasty stereotypical characterizations of Jews and money, or conspiracy theories, or that they think they're superior, or that they are disloyal to American, or worse. I can guarantee you that the Jew haters are ALSO piling onto the Israel hate as a way to further drive antisemitism.

And the far-left radicals in Congress are paving the way.
It's tricky enough (if not downright invalid) to correlate attitudes towards Jews with those about Israel. But then when we add a third variable - American political attitudes - sound conclusions can be hard to come by. From these various threads I am more open to recognizing that strains of anti-Semitism remain. The float in the Belgium parade struck me as way over the top. I suspect anti-Semitism might be multi-causal, with Jews an easy scapegoat for various grievances. Folks tend to generalize when they should not. That it's a kind of nasty human trait does not mean we shouldn't work to move beyond it.

For sure, individual posts are made that contain content that is offensive. But I've no way to connect those posts - in many, though maybe not all instances - to the poster's underlying political belief systems. The tactics being used by the Democratic progressives mystify. As for Ilhan Omar the individual, she may well hate Jews.

For myself, I'm simply not online enough to come to a generalization. What I can say is that among well-educated relatively affluent liberal Democratic baby boomers anti-Semitism appears to be absent - in my experience. I base that observation on friendship networks that probably have been about 50% Jewish (largely secular) and about 50% nominally Christian (again, largely secular) over the years. Inevitably there are conflicts among friends but never once have I heard that negative interaction being attributed to the other person being Jewish. A good friend was (probably) a terrible boss, certainly demanding and difficult to work with. He strongly identified as being Jewish. Although perfectly willing to complain about him, none of his employees ever made allusions to his religion.

That your family was impacted by the Holocaust means you probably tend to examine these issues from a somewhat different perspective - and that I totally respect, hence my reluctance to label or criticize individuals. OTOH, I might well criticize Israel as a whole for various actions. And dispute certain "facts" or assertions that some may offer in a discussion.

What I'm trying to say is that I certainly do not deny that anti-Semitism continues to exist but that I've not drawn conclusions about the who - what - when - and how of it.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,478,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
What Netanyahu said to Gadot was more than a comment. He was pretty much repeating the content of the new Nation State Law passed last year. And, yes, some Israelis are criticizing both that law and Netanyahu.
Right, the Nation State Law also was criticized by Jews in Israel and elsewhere. In fact, it passed on a close 62-55 vote.

Netanyahu went beyond the Nation State law when he said: "Israel is not a country of all its citizens."

Anyway, the answer remains NO, Gadot's criticism wasn't anti-Semitic.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 AM

34,662 posts, read 16,706,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Just answer the question.
Your question implies that there are valid reasons for racial or religious discrimination, or even murder.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM

8,480 posts, read 3,298,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Not because of their religion. Because they don't have the same incentives as regular Americans, and that's a problem. Remember religion is something you voluntarily subscribe to. What I'm referring to is a group of people unlike all others in regards to having options that certainly have the potential to affect their decision making, loyalties, and behavior as legislators, that other Americans mostly do not have, and that this creates a problem.

This one aspect of the issue could be solved by requiring all legislators to forfeit any rights to foreign citizenship. It wouldn't cure the entire issue presented by Zionism which would remain just as prominent a problem as it is today.
This makes little sense. You've chosen one variable (the option to become a dual citizen, which is shared by nationalities other than potential Israelis) to determine what makes for "a regular" American. Who among us, really, are "regular" Americans in all the many factors that determine behavior, outlook, needs etc.

Too, surely we all know that multiple factors affect legislative decision making and loyalties. An individual's religion may well impact their underlying belief system - but that's hardly unique to Jews. While religious tenets may differ, most (including Islam) prescribe the ethical behavior that we want but all too frequently do not get in legislators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies