Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:32 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
And most importantly though, it is about the 'proper' name. It is in fact supposed to be called "South Korea" because that is how all accurate and legit sources call it. Like Wikipedia as a good example. I know that the proper name is South Korea because that is how it is listed in reputable online information.
Technically, the one whose capital is Seoul is the "Republic of Korea" and the other one is the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea."

I get what you're saying, OP, and in general I do agree that's it's probably for the best to refer to the one whose capital is Seoul as "South Korea." However, it's not the same situation as the two Carolinas or the two Dakotas. North Carolina and South Carolina are separate and distinct states, and they haven't the slightest intention of ever changing that status. Ditto for the two Dakotas. But it is the desire, and maybe even the official policy, of the two Koreas to one day reunite and form a single country. Dividing themselves into a "North" and a "South" is seen as a temporary condition.

Incidentally, I have a number of Korean friends, and to the best of my recollection, I have NEVER heard any of them refer to their homeland as "South Korea." It's always "Korea."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM

162 posts, read 270,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Technically, the one whose capital is Seoul is the "Republic of Korea" and the other one is the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea."

I get what you're saying, OP, and in general I do agree that's it's probably for the best to refer to the one whose capital is Seoul as "South Korea." However, it's not the same situation as the two Carolinas or the two Dakotas. North Carolina and South Carolina are separate and distinct states, and they haven't the slightest intention of ever changing that status. Ditto for the two Dakotas. But it is the desire, and maybe even the official policy, of the two Koreas to one day reunite and form a single country. Dividing themselves into a "North" and a "South" is seen as a temporary condition.

Incidentally, I have a number of Korean friends, and to the best of my recollection, I have NEVER heard any of them refer to their homeland as "South Korea." It's always "Korea."
If "Korea" is being referred to the region (not excluding North Korea) then maybe I see the reason. But for the foreseeable future, when referring to the country containing Seoul, which is independent and has a border with N Korea, it is looking like just the same as the Carolinas as this is the 'proper' form. A united "Korea" is just a fantasy at this point while the world is afraid of a Nuclear N Korea.

I just refer to the country the way it appears in professional sources. Korea sure sounds simpler and maybe preferable to say, but I won't say it that way myself until there is a country officially called "Korea"

Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Show some respect. N Korea is just as worthy with respect to its southern counterpart as N Carolina.
No it isn't.

When N. Carolina starts having to keep armed guards, razor wire and minefields to keep it's people from fleeing to every other adjoining state at the risk of death then we can talk.

But hey, don't ask me, ask North Koreas closest ally, China....they don't want to go to North Korea either.

Top countries for Chinese tourists: The impact of China's tourism on the globe

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Well, south Korea is the real Korea, the northern lands are currently held by an insurrectionist rebellion group.

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

This!

Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
No. Given that most people who are "going to Korea" almost exclusively are referring to North Korea (I mean, how many people really travel to North Korea from the outside), I think that the term fits.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
"Are you going to Korea this year?"

It always sounds wrong to my ears. It's just as wrong as awkward as saying I am going to Dakota or I am going to Carolina.

Anyone else find it irritating calling it "Korea"? Or at least refuse to call it "Korea"?

Show some respect. N Korea is just as worthy with respect to its southern counterpart as N Carolina. It doesn't matter if their government is corrupt. It is still proper.

South Korea is the only way it appears in reputable sources so calling it Korea is incorrect anyways.
Back in 1957, when I got my orders to go to Korea, I didn’t like it a little bit. If they had changed it to South Korea, I still wouldn’t have liked it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Literally zero of my Korean friends and colleagues say they are from or going to South Korea.

They say they are going to Korea. They say they are Korean.

So, no. It does not bother me.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
"Are you going to Korea this year?"

It always sounds wrong to my ears. It's just as wrong as awkward as saying I am going to Dakota or I am going to Carolina.

Anyone else find it irritating calling it "Korea"? Or at least refuse to call it "Korea"?

Show some respect. N Korea is just as worthy with respect to its southern counterpart as N Carolina. It doesn't matter if their government is corrupt. It is still proper.

South Korea is the only way it appears in reputable sources so calling it Korea is incorrect anyways.
Same issue with New Jersey!

Don't refer to New Jersey as "jersey'.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Same issue with New Jersey!

Don't refer to New Jersey as "jersey'.
If I'm going to Atlantic City, I might say that I'm going to "South Jersey." If I'm going to Newark, I might say that I'm going to "North Jersey." Either way, I'm going to New Jersey.

Though it's not exactly the same situation as with the Koreas, there are similarities. New Jerseyans regard the regions that contain Atlantic City and Newark as being separate parts of the same state. Likewise, many Koreans, even if only subconsciously, regard the regions that contain Seoul and Pyongyang as being separate parts of the same nation -- if not in fact, then at least in their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies