Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
They will NEVER get enough states to change the Constitution!

This would not require a Constitutional amendment. States decide how their electors vote thus if states with total of 270 Electoral College votes formed a pact to vote based on the popular vote it would go the candidate with the popular vote.

There is contradiction in the Constitution though, this would set up huge legal battle and it's not cut and dried.

Quote:
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.
That said if they lost they could dissolve the pact and do it anyway. Without the pact they would have to trust that each state was going to adhere to it. Would the population of a state accept that who they voted for is not where their Electoral College votes are going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I love the electoral college.

You statists can't even vote correctly and it amuses the hell out of me.

You obstructionists can't stand the idea of democracy and must rely on artificial aids like the EC to elect your buffoons.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:26 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You obstructionists can't stand the idea of democracy and must rely on artificial aids like the EC to elect your buffoons.
We are not, and have never been a direct democracy. That is precisely what our founders DIDN'T want.

Watch the videos I posted in #6, and if you disagree, explain why.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd bet you voted for decades and had no issue at all with the EC until Bush 43 became President (and no, I'm not a Republican).

Old 02-26-2019, 06:37 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed- It is a liberal fantasy in which they dream about gaining absolute power. Fortunately, they would need the consent of the states that would be marginalized by such a vote, so it will never happen.
The funny thing about it is that their conniving always backfires on them. IF it even were possible that the popular vote would determine the Presidency, Trump will win it and once again the gnashing of teeth would ensue. It'd be fun to watch though.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed- It is a liberal fantasy in which they dream about gaining absolute power. Fortunately, they would need the consent of the states that would be marginalized by such a vote, so it will never happen.
Neither liberals or conservatives want it too change they are both too greedy. Gods forbid someone from the Green Party or an independent wins. Better the devil they know. Of course neither one of the two parties give a damn about doing anything good for this country. They are under the illusion that they are doing good instead of actually doing something .

Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'd bet you voted for decades and had no issue at all with the EC until Bush 43 became President (and no, I'm not a Republican).

I know you have NO idea what you're talking about!

Just FYI, I didn't really take the EC seriously until I was in high school, when I looked it over I thought it was the silliest thing I'd ever heard of, especially for a country that allegedly values democracy.

And that was in the late 1960s!

Now, HOW much $$$ you wanna bet?

Old 02-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Neither liberals or conservatives want it too change they are both too greedy. Gods forbid someone from the Green Party or an independent wins. Better the devil they know. Of course neither one of the two parties give a damn about doing anything good for this country. They are under the illusion that they are doing good instead of actually doing something .

Reason enough to change it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:44 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
We can expect the GOP to fight this tooth and nail. They haven't won the popular vote since 2004.
Bingo.

Bush didn't win the popular vote in 2000 and Trump didn't win it in 2016.

In the five presidential elections where the candidate who received the most votes lost, all five Presidents were Republicans.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
The funny thing about it is that their conniving always backfires on them. IF it even were possible that the popular vote would determine the Presidency, Trump will win it and once again the gnashing of teeth would ensue. It'd be fun to watch though.

Let's have it! At least then everyone's vote would count instead of having those whose votes are thrown away in the 48 states where the EC is winner take all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies