Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
More states join push to elect president based on popular vote

NASHVILLE (WZTV) - Colorado is the latest state to pass a bill which would change the way presidential candidates win office.

The state joins 11 others after passing a bill to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Under the compact, the candidate who receives the most popular votes nationwide would be be awarded the electoral college votes from participating states, even if the candidate lost in that state.

In order for the bills in states which have passed laws recognizing the agreement, a total of 270 electoral votes from participating states is needed.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/m...n-popular-vote
Here, let me clean the BS off your windshield so you better understand what the politicians are up to.

Translation:
We are doing something that looks good for our base but won't really do anything.

Much easier than making a meaningful change like awarding our own states electoral votes proportionately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed- It is a liberal fantasy in which they dream about gaining absolute power. Fortunately, they would need the consent of the states that would be marginalized by such a vote, so it will never happen.
Why would they need the consent of the states not involved in the compact?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
The funny thing about it is that their conniving always backfires on them. IF it even were possible that the popular vote would determine the Presidency, Trump will win it and once again the gnashing of teeth would ensue. It'd be fun to watch though.
Trump didn't win the popular vote last time, so why do you think he would in the future?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
the electoral college is working as intended, the whole idea of trying to change it is stupid.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
If you believe illegals' and corpses' votes should count then you believe that Trump didn't win the popular vote. He did win the popular vote.
No, he didn't win the popular vote.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
They will NEVER get enough states to change the Constitution!

Don't give your "safe Pace" with its crayons and do NOT loose your therapist phone number.

you are going to need them AGAIN!
What's a safe pace? 10 minute mile for walking?

And my therapist is most certainly not loose.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
More states join push to elect president based on popular vote

NASHVILLE (WZTV) - Colorado is the latest state to pass a bill which would change the way presidential candidates win office.

The state joins 11 others after passing a bill to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Under the compact, the candidate who receives the most popular votes nationwide would be be awarded the electoral college votes from participating states, even if the candidate lost in that state.

In order for the bills in states which have passed laws recognizing the agreement, a total of 270 electoral votes from participating states is needed.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/m...n-popular-vote
oh course the fascist lefties are for it....its funded by Soro's

the national popular vote scheme, is a scheme from soros and the marxists/fascists

the 501(c) organization National Popular Vote Inc., a George Soros funded who’s who of the progressive left. ...billionaire George Soros fund sand supports the movement via his myriad 502(c) outfits, such as the Progressive States Network and Common Cause.

Under a National Popular Vote, 100% of the citizens in a state could vote for candidate A and all of the state’s electoral college votes go to candidate B, rending small states powerless and the will of the people in the state irrelevant.

the electoral college is there for a reason
..to protect the little guy from the big guys

Plan for Permanent White House control by progressives happening now
Called the “National Popular Vote Compact” this movement has been in the works nationwide – without public attention – on a state-by-state level since at least 2008.

Like other surreptitious actions against the U.S. Constitution, the NPVC “movement” has several promotional websites claiming to represent “true democracy.”

Why would progressives want to switch to a National Popular Vote POTUS?

Do the math: The electoral vote system protects voting rights by giving every individual state a number of electoral votes representing the level of population. In this way, all states in the Union have a proportionate and representative say in who becomes President. It doesn’t matter if the state has more land mass than populace, or if more of the people live in rural areas, etc.

Who is behind the National Popular Vote Compact?
George Soros ...and Vikram Amar & Akhil Reed Amar

Akhil Amar has also “recently proposed that every American should be required to undergo a DNA test so that a national DNA database can be created.”

The National Public Vote Compact bill, promoted nationwide, came from this source in 2001. Since then, the same bill based on their strategy has been filed in states nationwide!

Digging into the background of the National Public Vote Compact – as a means to radically and permanently shift the basis of the Presidency, here’s what we found: highly credentialed attorneys (and brothers) who devised this “state bill” compact, as a strategy to get around the normal requirements for constitutional amendment – and, instead, undermine the Electoral College by bypassing both Congress and the voters!

plan for Permanent White House control by progressives happening now
Called the “National Popular Vote Compact” this movement has been in the works nationwide – without public attention – on a state-by-state level since at least 2008.

Like other surreptitious actions against the U.S. Constitution, the NPVC “movement” has several promotional websites claiming to represent “true democracy.”

The NPVC is a bill now moving state-by-state to make the popular vote winner President by bypassing normal requirements to amend the Constitution. Tts outcome would ensure the Presidency would be declared by giving all the required 270 Electoral Votes needed for a “winner” to the candidate who wins the largest number of popular votes nationally – no matter how small the win margin and no difference how many states voted to oppose him. Here’s[/quote] how it works:

Once enough states have passed the NPVC bill into law to reach the requisite 270 Electoral Votes (by totaling the EV’s of those states which pass this bill) the NPVC goes into immediate effect in the next – and all subsequent – Presidential elections. It doesn’t matter how strongly other states oppose this. We’d all have to go along, if even a minority of states pass it! • Currently, this bill has passed enough state houses to reach more than 160 EV’s – so they are well over half way to their goal right now.
According to most up-to-date information this National Popular Vote Pact has already passed 1 of the 2 required chambers in more than 30 other states- without public attention.
If their magic number of 270 EV totaling states is reached, it won’t matter how the rest of the states vote on this; nor whether other states never take up the bill; not even if other states vehemently object and oppose this action. It would be the Law of the Land!
This sneaky scheme to upend Constitutional rights and protections of all states and their residents in selecting the nation’s leader is underway as an explicit attempt to defeat the careful Constitutional amendment process with no public knowledge, no voter input, no public referendums and no input from states which object to this measure. All NPVC takes is a portion of current state houses to make it law for all of us – always!

Why would progressives want to switch to a National Popular Vote POTUS?
Do the math: The electoral vote system protects voting rights by giving every individual state a number of electoral votes representing the level of population. In this way, all states in the Union have a proportionate and representative say in who becomes President. It doesn’t matter if the state has more land mass than populace, or if more of the people live in rural areas, etc.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Trump didn't win the popular vote last time, so why do you think he would in the future?

Voters in states dominated by the other party would have a reason to vote, the vote totals will go much higher. The question is who vote count increases more. Can Democrats in handful of small red states overcome the much larger Republican turnout in California? It would be pure speculation what the results would be.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,691 times
I don't understand why the all fuss to change away from the electoral college. If you want to make a real impact encourage your family, friends and neighbors to vote.

During the primaries that McCain won in Kansas, I tallied the numbers which were available. These included number of registered voters, registered voters by registered political affiliation and number of voters who voted for whichever candidate.

That election happened to be my last election voting for a republican before my Libertarian leanings finally convinced my voting hand to start casting votes for the better of all evils. Anyway, I did the math in Kansas and in the Primaries, less than 6% of registered voters voted. It was that way for republicans and democrats. This wasn't even the eligible voters, people who weren't barred from voting, just had never registered. No this was the registered voters. If I included eligible voters it would have been around 2% turnout. Then when the actual Presidential vote happened, I did the same thing and found that around 15% of registered voters (not all those who were eligible but hadn't registered) voted.

I worked in an engineering office with a group of folks who had strong political opinions, mostly conservative, and I polled them to see which of them voted both during the primaries and for the presidential election. I was the only one of about 15 people who voted. Mind you I made sure to not ask who they voted for, rather I just asked IF they voted, specifically stating I didn't want to know who they voted for. Again, I was the only one voted in the primaries and in the main election.

That's when I got frustrated and decided to use the voter information available to calculate the percentage of voters. To say I was shocked is an understatement. I've looked online and have located statistics but none of them break down the stats as I broke them down. Not only that BUT it appears from all I've seen that there is a claim of just over 40% turnout to as much as just under 60% turnout, but again, without seeing the numbers of registered voters, eligible voters and actual votes, I cannot challenge their numbers even though I suspect the voter turnout is much lower than is stated.

So, all this said, IF you are serious about making a difference on who gets elected, how about you get up off your butt and vote... and while you're at it, convince as many people as you can to do the same. It's a damn shame that many war torn countries, where people actually risk their lives to vote have voter turnouts in the high 60% to 80+% yet all we can manage is, well I was just too busy to bother.

Focus on winning the hearts and minds of people, encouraging them to vote because their vote matters instead of trying to figure out a way to rig the vote so that a small percentage of voters has so much say in each of our daily lives.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:15 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why would they need the consent of the states not involved in the compact?

It wouldn't matter if they had the consent or not, unless it's a constitutional amendment, they are prohibited from entering into compacts with other states. So sayth the US Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies