Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Same here, but it's more of a "less crap that can break" thing. Stick shift, too.

I had a 1972 F-250, opening the hood was beautiful sight with all ten wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah...such a huge safety issue that the Tesla is still considered the safest vehicle ever made.
Incorrect as usual. Consumer Reports have removed all Tesla models from their recommended list of vehicles. The model 3 was taken off the list this month.

An electrically operated door, instead of a real release, is inherently dangerous. No question about it. The fact that they have to put in an additional mechanical release, speaks greatly to this.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had a 1972 F-250, opening the hood was beautiful sight with all ten wires.
A lot to be said for that. My job is freakin' complicated enough - the fewer moving parts I have to deal with in my spare time, the better.

OK, so in reality modern engines are better in pretty much every respect - it's the interior gimcrackery I detest. Why is it suddenly super-attractive to push a button instead of turning a key? Completely missed what that's about.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
- it's the interior gimcrackery I detest.

I see your interior gimmicks and raise you exterior gimmicks. The biggest issue going forward is when all this stuff starts breaking and/or it becomes impossible to fix. Think about this for minute, if there is an exploit in the electronic key found and they are no longer supporting the software how the hell are you supposed to fix that? Here is another question, are these electronic door latches interchangeable or are they uniquely tied to each car?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I do not know why this would be political or controversial--the guy was doing 75-90 mph. Duh.

And as a resident of S. Fla--I can testify to the fact that every day I see many many drivers that should not be driving the car they are driving.

This would be first--SUVs that try to fit into a compact car parking space because they are closer to the door. I've watched idiots spend 10 minutes trying to maneuver a car that is too big for them to handle or to fit where they want it to go while cars piled up waiting.

I see old guys driving flashy fast cars--Corvettes, Lamborghinis, Ferraris. They are doing like 30 miles an hour--have no idea why they buy expensive sporty cars and drive really slow.

Then there are the snowbirds in their Mercedes--not only driving slow, but stopping in the middle of the street because it might be their turn. Turn left past two other lanes at stop lights. U-turns in the middle of busy roads.

It's a nightmare driving here, and there are just those fools who speed, drink, talk on the phone and slam into objects or other cars quite frequently.

This is not about technology. Many cars burn after a high-speed crash.
I am not sure if you are familiar with that area. Flamingo Road in that area has very few traffic lights. People drive very fast there.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I see your interior gimmicks and raise you exterior gimmicks. The biggest issue going forward is when all this stuff starts breaking and/or it becomes impossible to fix. Think about this for minute, if there is an exploit in the electronic key found and they are no longer supporting the software how the hell are you supposed to fix that? Here is another question, are these electronic door latches interchangeable or are they uniquely tied to each car?
FWIW, that's one area where I'd take Tesla over other carmakers. They seem to at least have rudimentary security built into their products from the ground up, rather than as an add-on. Wired magazine had an article where a couple of hackers took over a Jeep and stopped its engine while it was driving. A lot of the traditional carmakers have neither the expertise nor the interest in keeping their somewhat-connected cars protected.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
A confined space. We should learn from this.

No automobile should be allowed on the road without mechanical handles on inside and out, even if only as safety back-up. Caskets don't need a handle on the inside, but complicated machines with latching doors on passenger compartments certainly do.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
https://twitter.com/MWrightWPLG/stat...15706312200198

Old 02-27-2019, 05:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Drive one. You will understand.
I have.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:22 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Ummm ... Tesla has a manual door trigger to open the door in the event the electric doesn't work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies