Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:17 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1938, this grand piano was presented the White House by Mr. Theodore Steinway, on behalf of the Steinway family. The 300,000th Steinway piano, it was built to replace another Steinway at the White House - #100,000, a gilded and painted grand piano which had been given in 1903 (now on exhibit in the Smithsonian Institution).

the musical works had deteriorated somewhat, the piano was returned to the manufacturer in 1979 for a major rebuilding of the instrument within its historic case. Although used in the East Room from its presentation to 1989, since then it has stood principally in the Entrance Hall
https://www.whitehousehistory.org/ph...ay-grand-piano

being it got moved in 89, and was last refurbished in 79 (at age 40), the likely answer is its time again as it has been 40 years since last refurbishment
That makes way too much sense. It’s a much better fairy tale to whine about Orange Man BAD stealing a White House Piano. in the Normal World, White House Furnishings are regularly refurbished and an announcement is made after the refurbishment is completed. In the Leftist Meltdown World, Mrs Trump must ask their approval before any refurbishment.

The Left is insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There are credible reports on Twitter indicating that a piano mover has removed the famous 1938 Steinway grand piano from the White House. When questioned, he only said that a rental piano would be taking its place, and it appears no one asked him where the Steinway was heading.

This piano, a gift of the Steinway Company to the American people, was designed by FDR. Its supports are life-sized gilded American eagles, and decoration of the sides of the case depict music and dance in American history. It has been recently played - you can find videos on YouTube - and has a beautiful tone and has been kept in mint condition. A long list of prominent pianists have played this piano for previous presidents, and it has also been used for accompanying prominent vocalists performing at the White House by invitation. There is a YouTube video of Harry Truman playing this piano...

Tuning requires that a piano be in the place it usually occupies, as moving a piano almost always leads to a need to re-tune. As far as can be told, no repairs appeared necessary - and in this case, I expect the Steinway company would send their best repair person to do the job on the site.

There are rumors it's heading for the nearby Trump Hotel. No one seems to know much about the supposed rental substitute - what it will be, what rental company is providing it, how much the rent will cost, and who's paying for it.

Surely Trump & Co. wouldn't be so dumb, blatant and avaricious as to steal historic and well-known White House property, which belongs to the people of America, right out from under our noses - would they?

A POTUS cannot legally take items from the White House (unless you are a Clinton). The White House probably looked like the Grinch had raided the place after the Clinton's left.

In the future, when we get more grifters like the Clintons in the White House, we should make a special offer of $1 billion in cash in exchange for not looting the White House and not selling military secrets to foreign powers in exchange for cash. It would be a win-win.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
There are credible reports on Twitter indicating that a piano mover has removed the famous 1938 Steinway grand piano from the White House. When questioned, he only said that a rental piano would be taking its place, and it appears no one asked him where the Steinway was heading.

This piano, a gift of the Steinway Company to the American people, was designed by FDR. Its supports are life-sized gilded American eagles, and decoration of the sides of the case depict music and dance in American history. It has been recently played - you can find videos on YouTube - and has a beautiful tone and has been kept in mint condition. A long list of prominent pianists have played this piano for previous presidents, and it has also been used for accompanying prominent vocalists performing at the White House by invitation. There is a YouTube video of Harry Truman playing this piano...

Tuning requires that a piano be in the place it usually occupies, as moving a piano almost always leads to a need to re-tune. As far as can be told, no repairs appeared necessary - and in this case, I expect the Steinway company would send their best repair person to do the job on the site.

There are rumors it's heading for the nearby Trump Hotel. No one seems to know much about the supposed rental substitute - what it will be, what rental company is providing it, how much the rent will cost, and who's paying for it.

Surely Trump & Co. wouldn't be so dumb, blatant and avaricious as to steal historic and well-known White House property, which belongs to the people of America, right out from under our noses - would they?
WOW! Talk about "reaching"!

"There are rumors" And that is ALL we have HAD for 2 YEARS!

EVERY president DOES remove things and put in things THEY WANT.

And you think this "story" is worthy of its own forum.

Did you help the clinton's remove ALL the stuff they DID?

You need to get REAL job!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A POTUS cannot legally take items from the White House (unless you are a Clinton). The White House probably looked like the Grinch had raided the place after the Clinton's left.

In the future, when we get more grifters like the Clintons in the White House, we should make a special offer of $1 billion in cash in exchange for not looting the White House and not selling military secrets to foreign powers in exchange for cash. It would be a win-win.
Ok, take number 4325 on the Clinton furniture deal.

They Clinton’s were gifted lots of items from friends when they were in the White House, including furnishings, dishes, and othe household items. This is not uncommon and many first families had removed these gifts when leaving the WH. The rules became more strict though and every gift any president is now given is government property. When the Clintons learned this they either paid for or returned all the items in question, depending on the wishes of the givers.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Probably had to make room for Trump's tanning bed.

Tanning Bed , Large Screen TV playing Fox News 24/7 and a pool table is my guess.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:26 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I’m not doubting that the piano has been moved, but I don’t believe there’s anything untoward going on. It’s a well-known piece. Wherever it is, I’m 99.9999% certain that it’s perfectly fine and that the White House Curator is keeping track of it.
The White House Curator retired last June and has not been replaced by the Trump Administration. No one is in office to officially look after the people's treasures and their condition and whereabouts. No one to say, "Hey, wait a minute, maybe we'd better let people know what's going on with the piano".

No one to point out that moving it to the nearby Trump Hotel might not be the best idea. No one to explain why replacing it with a contemporary instrument doesn't equate.

Someone questioned how I sleep at night - very well, thank you, especially this week with both Trump and Pence being out of the country.

Google may not have this story, but I didn't cite Google. Try Twitter instead, as I originally suggested, in particular a long February 25 thread begun by BBC correspondent Tara McKelvey, who spoke with the piano mover who had been contacted by someone at the White House to replace the piano with a modern rented instrument. The thread contains further links by people knowledgeable about this unique piano and its remarkable history.

As for "surmise", the definition given by another poster here omits to note that surmise generally occurs in consideration of past patterns of an individual's or group's behavior in similar circumstances.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I understand that the Curator’s Office is still staffed and maintaining the White House collection. They worked with the First Lady to restore the furniture suite that sits in the blue room— I believe it’s called the Bellange Suite — just last year and after Allman retired. Again, I am 99.999% certain that the Steinway is just fine.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
The White House Curator retired last June and has not been replaced by the Trump Administration. No one is in office to officially look after the people's treasures and their condition and whereabouts. No one to say, "Hey, wait a minute, maybe we'd better let people know what's going on with the piano".

No one to point out that moving it to the nearby Trump Hotel might not be the best idea. No one to explain why replacing it with a contemporary instrument doesn't equate.

Someone questioned how I sleep at night - very well, thank you, especially this week with both Trump and Pence being out of the country.

Google may not have this story, but I didn't cite Google. Try Twitter instead, as I originally suggested, in particular a long February 25 thread begun by BBC correspondent Tara McKelvey, who spoke with the piano mover who had been contacted by someone at the White House to replace the piano with a modern rented instrument. The thread contains further links by people knowledgeable about this unique piano and its remarkable history.

As for "surmise", the definition given by another poster here omits to note that surmise generally occurs in consideration of past patterns of an individual's or group's behavior in similar circumstances.
you did NOT cite anything..and not one link to twitter or the bbc

you are spreading an unfounded rumor ...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Links are your friend.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
[quote=Quick Enough;54547336]WOW! Talk about "reaching"!

"There are rumors" And that is ALL we have HAD for 2 YEARS!

EVERY president DOES remove things and put in things THEY WANT.

And you think this "story" is worthy of its own forum.

Did you help the clinton's remove ALL the stuff they DID?

You need to get REAL job![/QUOTE

Enjoy shooting messengers, do you? Almost as much as you enjoy using capitals, which equates to shouting on line.

Both tactics are unnecessary to support a valid position, and only lead to negative conclusions about those who regularly resort to them.

BTW, your concluding sentence makes me wonder about your whereabouts and/or national origins. Your syntax is off in a very obvious way. Not that your Russo-typical syntax has anything to do with my concern about the White House Steinway, a topic which is far more thread-worthy than many others which appear here, any more than do your ad hominem unrelated - and preposterous - attacks on me...

Last edited by CraigCreek; 02-27-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies