Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have a hard time believing that a black man openly carrying a gun down the street in St Louis is going to greeted with joy by everyone.

Most people aren't regardless of race. People are not accustomed to seeing civilians carrying guns. It's been the law where I live forever and I have never seen anyone doing it. This law is good in that the police cannot hassle you over nuisance things, If I want to walk to my frined's house with a gun a few houses down I don't have to worry abut being cited for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 06:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Vermont has next to no population at all with whites being 95%
All BAM! There goes a race card.

And more interesting, the OP has not re-visited the thread. Guess we know what it's really about . . . .

Old 02-27-2019, 06:18 AM

334 posts, read 227,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The officers words:

Also, your own link shows that homicides per 100,000 in Missouri went from 6.6 in 2014 to 9.8 in 2017, proving that there was a dramatic increase in murders. Gun humpers rejoice anytime they can take their object of affection with them out in public, but it really never makes anyone safer in the end, only increases the likelihood someone is going to get shot.
Look up "Post Hoc Fallacy"

Old 02-27-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm not sure that a single city can skew the average to such a dramatic increase. 6.6 to 9.8 state wide is a dramatic increase in violence,

Because the city is where most of the violence is.

0 - Murder rate in my town for the past few decades, population 5K.
1 to 2 - Murder rate in the county I live in, population 300K.
10 to 40 - Murder rate in small city near me population 40K
50 to 200 - Murder rate in the population of blacks that make up about 10% of the city population, 4K.

The "to" is driven mostly by the last demographic. Since it's smaller sample size the rate can vary widely. The high numbers would be based on 2013

Quote:
just saying the likelihood of getting shot is always higher when there is an increase in firearms amongst a demographic or population.
This is all over the board but generally states with the highest rates of legal gun ownership(mostly upper mid west) have the lowest rates of murder by firearm. Louisianan on the other hand has high rates of both but in that case they have NO... If we were to compare PA with CA where both have large urban and rural populations, CA with it's heavy handed gun laws has slightly lower rate of legal gun ownership than PA where the laws are relaxed. Murders by firearms are slightly higher in CA.

At the end of the day it's not the amount of guns but the people who live there. Where I live 90% of household have guns, no one is getting shot and if the national rates held true there should of been a handful over the past few decades. Crime is also very low, the fact you might get shot by the homeowner certainly plays a role in that. This is why you will get a lot of push back from people like me when you have neighborhoods in Chicago with a lot of violence that have legal gun ownership rates in the single digits.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-27-2019 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Here is one. The gist of it is if you can get a conceal carry permit, get one and you’re protected.
It’s not the original article I saw but it is one that addresses it.

Wolf State of Emergency Proclamation Has Gun Owners Up in Arms : exploreVenango.com

That is interesting to say the least. Very few people open carry, other than hunters or whatever the only time I recall seeing someone do it was after a flood in my area. Don't know if he had a permit but since an emergency was declared he apparently would of been breaking the law if he didn't.

Nearly anyone carrying a gun here in PA would have the permit in which case the declaration is moot. As noted in the article this was likely an unintended consequence and I doubt they would try and enforce it. Going after gun rights in PA is not a wise political decision and trying to enforce something like that would likely be challenged.

Quote:
21. Right to bear arms.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
That was adapted in 1790 from the 1776 version that predates the US Constitution. Jealous?

Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You know what's the problem in America is?? If you say it's: People who have no business carrying guns are not allowed to pack heat out in public spaces, you are correct!!!

But lo and behold! Red state Oaklahoma is doing something about it! If you are not able to pass a background check, or get a permit, or never had any safety training; don't worry. Oaklahoma got you covered.

If you are thinking, "What a great idea to allow people who can't pass background checks the opportunity to pop a cap in public." Yes!! This idea is so brilliant, red state Missouri already adopted it!! When Missouri does it, you know it's got to be good!!!

Senate committee passes bill allowing permitless carry in Oklahoma

"You know what's the problem in America is?"

YES people like YOU who feel THEY can IGNORE the Constitution any time they want!

" The RIGHT of the PEOPLE to KEEP and BEAR ARMS shall NOT BE INFRINGED"

Hey, if even the SIGHT of a gun make you pee your pants, stay away from them and leave the adults alone!

This might even make you pee your pants, there are states where this has been this WAY for a couple of HUNDRED years.

As has been said how would YOU like EVERY single gun law to be applied to the 1st AMENDMENT that is on the books for the 2nd AMENDMENT?

Permits, background checks, psychiatrist's have to review, (that YOU have to PAY FOR) waiting periods on things yoy write to "checked" before you can air them, etc.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Only read the first two pages. Hopefully someone has pointed out that although you may not need a background check to open carry, if you're buying a handgun you still need to get a background check done for purchase. Unless, of course, you're buying on the black market.

Something tells me anyone looking to "pop a cap in public" is utilizing that black market.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
No sign of OP.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
If this is what OK wants to do then that is their business. We can judge the impact and then decide if we want to support or oppose it in our own states.

This concept applies to all sorts of things like if a state wants to make changes to taxes, schools, drug laws and so forth.

You can sure spot the fascists in these sorts of threads....they're right and nobody should be allowed to do or think differently and they want the force of the state behind their wishes.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 AM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
No sign of OP.
Hiding in a safe space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies