Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Roe is not the issue that is dividing America. It is immigration. And climate change.

Climate change acceptance/denial is also closely tied to religious fundamentalism, but overall I don't think as many or as passionate about that issue as they are abortion. Abortion is the make or break issue for a large number of Americans. I doubt climate change comes anywhere close. This is why I think that without abortion, the Christian Right falls apart as a political bloc. Yes, they can continue to try to fleece the flock to continue the fight against LGBTQ rights and marijuana legalization and to fight for things like prayer/Bible studies in schools but those causes don't have the passion behind them that abortion does.

Immigration is more complicated but I also don't think it divides Americans as much as abortion. The same people behind Trump were behind Bush who had a much more liberal immigration stance. What Trump and Bush have in common is they both nominated justices who would vote to overturn Roe v Wade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Roe is not the issue that is dividing America. It is immigration. And climate change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Climate change acceptance/denial is also closely tied to religious fundamentalism, but overall I don't think as many or as passionate about that issue as they are abortion. Abortion is the make or break issue for a large number of Americans. I doubt climate change comes anywhere close.

Immigration is more complicated but I also don't think it divides Americans as much as abortion. The same people behind Trump were behind Bush who had a much more liberal immigration stance. What Trump and Bush have in common is they both nominated justices who would vote to overturn Roe v Wade.

Both of you forgot to mention a big one that divides may people, and for some a big make or break issue to not be crossed. And that is GUNS.

Nothing in the United States Constitution mentioned abortion in either respect; but there clearly is the 2 Amendment that clearly defines ownership of GUNS, and that is one of the most debated topics.

And there are those on the pro gun side that would be willing to come to drawing blood and full scale fight to keep that Right. Just as there are those on the Anti Gun side that are willing to use lethal force to remove GUNS from its citizens.

The issues of Firearms I believe divides this country more than abortion does.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Climate change acceptance/denial is also closely tied to religious fundamentalism, but overall I don't think as many or as passionate about that issue as they are abortion. Abortion is the make or break issue for a large number of Americans. I doubt climate change comes anywhere close. This is why I think that without abortion, the Christian Right falls apart as a political bloc. Yes, they can continue to try to fleece the flock to continue the fight against LGBTQ rights and marijuana legalization and to fight for things like prayer/Bible studies in schools but those causes don't have the passion behind them that abortion does.

For the media and the political establishment, though, Israel is the issue because the left will eventually have to accept supporting Israel if their politicians to have a future. Most of the power brokers in Washington and the media are Jewish, and unless people like Omar and AOC reign in their rhetoric (even if they personally hate Israel and are anti-Semitic), the Jewish influence in the media will result in more negative coverage of them, etc etc, and in Congress they might see their proposals challenged and blocked. So in addition to abortion (which I think some Democrats HAVE learned to be pro-life especially in the South and among black and Hispanic communities), one thing liberals hate but will have to do is support Israel. The leader of the Jewish people, Benjamin Netanyahu is on Trump's side. It will serve the left well to notice that.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Overturning Roe v. Wade will only divide the abortion war up 50 ways state by state. But, yes, it will have the desirable political effect of removing the issue from the national level. There will always be a minority in all those states who want ALL abortion banned and even contraceptives. I doubt any state will want to ban all abortion, including not allowing it to save the life of the mother, if they want to take seriously the reason why Ireland overwhelmingly repealed its ban on abortion last year.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-27-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Both of you forgot to mention a big one that divides may people, and for some a big make or break issue to not be crossed. And that is GUNS.

Nothing in the United States Constitution mentioned abortion in either respect; but there clearly is the 2 Amendment that clearly defines ownership of GUNS, and that is one of the most debated topics.

And there are those on the pro gun side that would be willing to come to drawing blood and full scale fight to keep that Right. Just as there are those on the Anti Gun side that are willing to use lethal force to remove GUNS from its citizens.

The issues of Firearms I believe divides this country more than abortion does.
One of the big issues over guns in a number of states is to remove training and permit requirements as if the first part of the 2nd Amendment means nothing, which goes, "A well regulated militia....." It looks like one of the first bills that the Oklahoma governor signs off this year may have to do with that and not abortion. It reflects guns are somewhat more important to Oklahoma than banning all abortion, an issue more divisive than guns. When the Baptists say they can't support a bill that bans ALL abortions, you know you got quite a divisive issue on your hands. However, nationwide as a whole, it probably is true that guns are more divisive.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
One of the big issues over guns in a number of states is to remove training and permit requirements as if the first part of the 2nd Amendment means nothing, which goes, "A well regulated militia....." It looks like one of the first bills that the Oklahoma governor signs off this year may have to do with that and not abortion. It reflects guns are somewhat more important to Oklahoma than banning all abortion, an issue more divisive than guns. When the Baptists say they can't support a bill that bans ALL abortions, you know you got quite a divisive issue on your hands. However, nationwide as a whole, it probably is true that guns are more divisive.

I agree with your statement, but the highlighted term, did not mean well regulated as in regulations, it meant at that time in good working order. So a well regulated Militia was a Militia that was made up of every able bodied citizen, and it was expected that the people who responded to the aid of the state/city/township would come with their own weapons.

I know full well that abortion is a hot topic, but I think GUNS are topic that is dividing the country even further.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I agree with your statement, but the highlighted term, did not mean well regulated as in regulations, it meant at that time in good working order. So a well regulated Militia was a Militia that was made up of every able bodied citizen, and it was expected that the people who responded to the aid of the state/city/township would come with their own weapons.
Back then did every able bodied armed citizen include the mentally ill and those convicted of felonies, especially if a firearm was involved?

Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Overturning Roe v. Wade will only divide the abortion war up 50 ways state by state. But, yes, it will have the desirable political effect of removing the issue from the national level. There will always be a minority in all those states who want ALL abortion banned and even contraceptives. I doubt any state will want to ban all abortion, including not allowing it to save the life of the mother, if they want to take seriously the reason why Ireland overwhelmingly repealed its ban on abortion last year.
There are about a dozen states that already have laws on their books to prohibit abortion should SCOTUS repeal R v W.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/16/r...rtion-law-ban/

I think overturning R v W would increase the divide. Now you'd have 50 different fights instead of one. And these fights would carry over into Congress, since so much medical funding comes from the federal budget.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Exactly how would that bring more civility to our politics? That is not what the public wants.

Around 60% of the public has consistently supported that decision.

What the overwhelming majority supports is inconsistent with Roe.

"Recent polls that ask whether Americans want Roe v. Wade upheld or overturned report that Americans support the 1973 decision. But when you ask Americans how they think the court should rule on abortion – and don’t use the Roe label – everything changes. Almost two-thirds of Americans (65 percent) say they want the Supreme Court to revisit Roe in a substantial way. This includes 16 percent who want the court to rule that abortion should be illegal, and about half (49 percent) who say that restrictions should be allowed as determined by each state. Restoring a state-based system would, in fact, overturn Roe – as would a ban on abortion. So nearly two-thirds want the court to rule to allow restrictions that would de facto overturn that decision."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...on_139205.html

Old 02-27-2019, 02:21 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Roe vs. Wade is settled. It's 2019... It is really time to move on.

No, it really isn't...

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/01/...ew-poll-finds/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies