Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree. I live in the thick of "immigrants" and I stand by what I said.
You are living amongst immigrants. Not their teenage grandchildren. Statistics show that Hispanics are assimilating as fast as groups did before. I work amongst the children and grandchildren of those immigrants.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,301,014 times
Quote:
Well the offspring of immigrants assimiliate in terms of language acquisition and customs, and that's true for any cultural group. I should know as one born to immigrant parents.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is only one group that tends to be problematical in that regard, who build enclaves so tight-knit that some members of the third generation don't even speak the language of the nation their grandparents immigrated to.
Are there any groups in which 3rd generation members don't speak the local language at all? I'd like to know.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM

25,981 posts, read 24,644,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Are there any groups in which 3rd generation members don't speak the local language at all? I'd like to know.
Maybe some people in Chinatown.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe some people in Chinatown.
Highly doubtful. I'm Chinese American and pretty familiar with San Francisco's Chinatown, which is the one of the oldest, most established communities of its kind. The local kids still have to go to school, they watch TV, listen to music, interact with friends - even if they're of the same ethnicity, they'll talk in English.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM

2,140 posts, read 358,339 times
Quote:

What is your tribal affiliation? Be fascinated to know. Mine is Colville: incorporates San Poil, Cree, Okanagan (spelling varies depending on who you talk to) etc.

No tribal affiliation? You and your family are immigrants. Wish they’d had a harder time? Good grief.

I call from both corners. More people do than they realize. It’s worth keeping things in perspective, no? America is unique in its multifaceted immigrant foundation. That’s a fact.

I may be confused on this thread. If so I apologize. Not for my content but if I responded in the wrong place.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-15-2019 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Spell check corrections.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,056,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think it's paranoia. Just straight hatred and anger. And having a desire to return to the days of "no Blacks allowed" or "no(insert group) allowed".
Yet you had no problem whatsoever with the poster who said they found "blond, blue-eyed" "absurd" and boring.

You have no problem with that sort of hatred.

I swear...

Old 03-15-2019, 11:39 AM

72,846 posts, read 62,282,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Yet you had no problem whatsoever with the poster who said they found "blond, blue-eyed" "absurd" and boring.

You have no problem with that sort of hatred.

I swear...
Who said blonde hair and blue eyes were absurd? Show me.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:43 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,151,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
There's a growing number of Americans who are mixed race and identify as such.

Do you believe that much will change -with respect to how Americans collectively view race, given the influx of people with multi-racial identities? I ask because much of the discussions are often focussed around white vs black in the U.S., but with the increase in multi-racial people and the dwindling of the black American and white American populations, I foresee America changing drastically.

What are your thoughts/views?
I think and believe there will always be race issues, as long as people continue to ask questions like this....

I believe, however, things have gotten a lot better over the years, which makes me happy...so happy especially when I see a mixed race couple...

But, there is always good and bad in all things...and there are bad things that can also come from it....one is the loss of intellect...which is happening...but, I also believe that to will continue to get better with time.

It took use generations to get to where we are today, and it is much better, but it will also take many generations to stamp out discourse among race...

While you see American changing drastically, it doesn't only involve white vs black any longer, but all nationalities vs white.

Yes, I believe much will continue to change, but change only comes to a people that wants to change, and recognizes the evil in racism.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,056,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Who said blonde hair and blue eyes were absurd? Show me.

You saw it. We spent a couple pages dancing around said poster's hatred:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I like the modern mixed population more, I find it absurd when I watch older TV series with all those blond, blue-eyed people in them, even programs from as late as the 80's. As if they had been shot in Scandinavia rather than the US

I also suspect you have no issue with the extreme lack of "diversity" in the NBA. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies