Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
End the dumbass drug war entirely.

If Person A takes opioids for pain, good for them. If Person B takes opioids to chase dragons and find the love of Jeezus in the lyrics of a Pink Floyd song, good for them. And if Person C takes a metric crapton of opioids to kill themselves, GOOD FOR THEM.

Why do we care if people want to abuse drugs to their own personal detriment? It's their life, their body and they own themselves. So stop mucking about trying to make everybody toe some Puritanical behavior model, leave people alone to do as they please, and the people who need opioids for pain control can purchase the medicine they need without anymore of this ridiculous hassle.

The drug war is the dumbest f***ing thing our government spends time and money on. Utterly freaking absurd.
Independent of philosophy, we do have institutions like the Medical field and institutions serve a purpose.

That said, I largely agree. I'd like to meet Jesus and Pink Floyd after toking on some black tarry stuff...but it's not for sale in the CVS.

The question of what we do institutionally differs from your basic philosophical "solution". I advocate for decrim of ALL drugs. But I do think research into the good/bad effects is important because we cannot expect every consumer to know all these things...and even supplements can kill or hurt you (and you shouldn't be hurt unintentionally).

I'd support rec legalization of light opiates...but it ain't gonna happen.

All that said, the public should not be fooled into thinking that Pot is a painkiller. It isn't....it may have many current and future uses, but deadening CNS pain is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 11:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Ending the war on drugs will be a long battle, this is probably another topic.

The issue is: How do we treat woman in op. Do we stop giving her opinoid, or do we continue her treatment with Opioid? I don't think she is asking to stop the war on drugs, but it is ridiculous to treat patients who suffer from chronic unmanageable pain like they are all some kinds of drug addicts.
Ending the drug war would be bad for 2 groups....drug cartels and law enforcement.

They are the only ones who BENEFIT from drugs being illegal.

All this talk of Trump colluding with Russia...if people really want to hear about collusion, they should look deeper into federal law enforcement and the cartels!!

Old 02-28-2019, 11:41 AM

39,199 posts, read 27,575,665 times

This article in op has nothing to do with end of drug of war. It has nothing to do with politics.

How do you treat woman in op whose pain level is a 10 without opioid? Yoga? Please, let's focus on the real issue here.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM

39,199 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ending the drug war would be bad for 2 groups....drug cartels and law enforcement.

They are the only ones who BENEFIT from drugs being illegal.

All this talk of Trump colluding with Russia...if people really want to hear about collusion, they should look deeper into federal law enforcement and the cartels!!
First thing first, we need to find a way to give this gal some relief. I say continue her treatment with Opioid.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ask yourself this: If all drugs were suddenly legal starting today, would you start taking them? Would your friends? Would your mother or father or brother or sister? What in the world makes you think society would suddenly start taking them as a whole?

Your logic is faulty, and your mind is too closed to even look at how well approaches to this problem other than War is working quite well in other countries, certainly much, much better than our War is working out here.
Would they all start? No. Would one of out of about a dozen you counted, quite possibly. Would one or more out of the circles of the millions of Americans, I can say yes with certainty.

The "war on drugs" isn't even a war. It's a mindless label with no bearing on what is actually law enforcement on illegal drugs with detrimental effects to society. You could call traffic stops "war on speeding" in the same way which would equally be a war that cannot be 'won'. Doesn't mean you stop pulling over cars doing 90mph and cutting people off because logically you know people will keep speeding anyways

It is, actually, your logic that is faulty. We in no way shape or form should stop fighting against narcotic drug use because as has been stated in this thread the effects go well beyond the user. That doesn't mean we should lock up users, quite the opposite. But we need to maintain the effort to cut off supply and prosecute dealers & distributors. If you don't, the problem WILL get much worse, reality doesn't care about your ultra-liberal view of the world.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Ending the war on drugs will be a long battle, this is probably another topic.

The issue is: How do we treat woman in op. Do we stop giving her opinoid, or do we continue her treatment with Opioid? I don't think she is asking to stop the war on drugs, but it is ridiculous to treat patients who suffer from chronic unmanageable pain like they are all some kinds of drug addicts.
I'm not sure we have a choice. The government has already decided to act with its usual heavy-handed, poorly thought out approach of cutting people off. That is the politically correct thing to do, rather than allowing her to continue a fairly normal, pain free life as an "addict".

That is really the crux of the problem: "Drugs" as a whole as become so politically charged that logic and compassion have been buried. It is no different than a kid getting expelled from his neighborhood school because an aspirin was found in his backpack.

We are now so mired in politics that I'm afraid things will get even worse before enough people start to wake up and realize the basic, underlying problem is politics. Even in medicine, unfortunately.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Would they all start? No. Would one of out of about a dozen you counted, quite possibly. Would one or more out of the circles of the millions of Americans, I can say yes with certainty.

The "war on drugs" isn't even a war. It's a mindless label with no bearing on what is actually law enforcement on illegal drugs with detrimental effects to society. You could call traffic stops "war on speeding" in the same way which would equally be a war that cannot be 'won'. Doesn't mean you stop pulling over cars doing 90mph and cutting people off because logically you know people will keep speeding anyways

It is, actually, your logic that is faulty. We in no way shape or form should stop fighting against narcotic drug use because as has been stated in this thread the effects go well beyond the user. That doesn't mean we should lock up users, quite the opposite. But we need to maintain the effort to cut off supply and prosecute dealers & distributors
There is NO effort to go after the source though!

Numerous cities and states have heroin epidemics right now...they know exactly where all this dope is coming from....and yet it just keeps flowing in like clockwork and reaching its destination!

Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
But we need to maintain the effort to cut off supply and prosecute dealers & distributors
Fine. But that hasn't worked out very well has it? And we have been fighting the problem the very same way for at least 50 years now.

IT ISN'T WORKING. We rank among the world's worst when it comes to drug overdose problems.

But you go ahead and keep you mind closed. In the meantime, I will continue to encourage others to research it themselves. The answers are out there, and have nothing to do with failed, corrupt Drug Wars.

It is past time for a different approach.

Quote:

This article in op has nothing to do with end of drug of war. It has nothing to do with politics.

How do you treat woman in op whose pain level is a 10 without opioid? Yoga? Please, let's focus on the real issue here.
I appreciate you trying to keep this on the topic of the particular person suffering because of this, but since it is political reasons causing her suffering, it is difficult to keep politics and policy out of the conversation.

Plus there are millions like her, whose problems have been amplified by The War On Drugs.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
The same cannot be said about narcotics, they have intense effects on users which go beyond personal detriment and flow out into society in the form of theft, vandalism, neglect, domestic abuse, blight and other effects on society which should absolutely be dealt with.
Ah, that word. "Narcotic". As if it is that much different than other things.

Intense effects? 2 hits of the current pot will bend your mind vastly more than one or two of your garden variety everyday opiates.

In normal doses, opiates make you "normal". Straight. Not high. The whole reason that junkies use NEEDLES and heroin is that it takes the combo to create the "intense effects" you are talking about.

My dad had an employee 50 years ago who was part of our extended (late teen) crowd. He was a junkie - my Dad knew it. He also had a wife and came to work every day and was straight as an arrow. In fact, he was MUCH straighter than anyone else in the crowd because the rest of the group tended more toward Pot, LSD and the like. If you want "intense effects", LSD will definitely give them to you. You can buy analogs of it quasi-legally or pick mushrooms in the field or buy a DMT containing smoke at the head shop....one drag will take you to Volo "meet Jesus and Pink Floyd".

As others have noted, the flow out to society is often related to the illegal activity.

We have to stop with this forbidden fruit "narcotic" stuff. There are literally thousands of ways I could do myself in with stuff I can buy (let alone the other ways) within a mile of where I sit. I can breathe into a paper bag, sniff my car exhaust, etc. etc....

I have an addictive personality. Yet I am 65 and addicted to nothing. That is not to say I wouldn't have a bad headache for 3-5 days if I stopped drinking coffee or the like. I would...and you know what? The trade-off is worth it. I will keep drinking coffee and not worry about the withdraw.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Fine. But that hasn't worked out very well has it? And we have been fighting the problem the very same way for at least 50 years now.

IT ISN'T WORKING.
It actually is working, suppliers get taken down all the time. Of course new suppliers then fill the void, doesn't mean you don't go after them too.

It's like the NYC subway system, water seeps into the tunnels so you pump the water out. But then it rains and more water comes in. You're saying get rid of the pump, I'm saying keep the trains running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies