Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:34 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

White privilege = right to work hard, pay taxes, and contribute something of value towards society. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. And if you manage to toe the line successfully, there is no reason why you shouldn't feel pride in who you are. Just don't be an ass about it, or let your ego get too big, because this world has a way of knocking you down to size if you get arrogant.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
White privilege = right to work hard, pay taxes, and contribute something of value towards society. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.
You mean minorities don't have the right to work hard, pay taxes, and they don't contribute something of value towards society?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Some brainwashed guilt ridden white guy is not "mutual understanding". He didn't have slaves. And there is no such thing as "white privilege". The first girl was right. I'm not going to feel guilty for something I had no part of, nor did any of my ancestors who came over here. Not a one of them owned slaves. Further, if there was "white privilege", then I should have obtained every single job I ever applied for, I should be making more than I am right now, I should be living in the lap of luxury. I've had to work hard, and that's not even an overstatement, I've literally held multiple jobs at the same time, to get what I have today. To get more, I have to work harder - nothing is handed to me simply because I'm white.
Rather than white privilege how about acknowledging black disadvantage due to systemic racism all the way through the 1960s and to a lesser degree to today? Through no fault of their own, their parents/grandparents/ancestors were not treated fairly. And are now more likely to have grown up in a poor inner city environment with poor education. More likely to get a citation rather than a warning. All sorts of things that exist through no direct fault of your own. Doesn't require feeling guilty. Just acknowledging statistics.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You mean minorities don't have the right to work hard, pay taxes, and they don't contribute something of value towards society?

Sure they do. But no one has coined the term "minority privilege" yet. It's all about whitey, and knocking the white man down a notch.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Rather than white privilege how about acknowledging black disadvantage due to systemic racism all the way through the 1960s and to a lesser degree to today? Through no fault of their own, their parents/grandparents/ancestors were not treated fairly. And are now more likely to have grown up in a poor inner city environment with poor education. More likely to get a citation rather than a warning. All sorts of things that exist through no direct fault of your own. Doesn't require feeling guilty. Just acknowledging statistics.
You mean like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post43565531

Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
I don't think there is denying it there is a thing called "white privilege" where cute cut white people get away with things other people don't.

But there is also "black privilege" where black people can get away with things white people can't. It's just different criteria, different standards, and cuts differently.

Eg if you're a suspect in a crime it's been proven you get treated with a lot more leniency as a white man when it comes to being charged and sentenced compared to a black man. Kind of like women get treated with more leniency and understanding than men.

However when it comes to making racist statements, or other social media faux pas - I rather be black than white.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Nice that she hasn’t the victim mentality. The guy needs to lay off the soy. Not exactly an agreement op.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I'm white and certainly no SJW, but I think there definitely is something to the "white privilege" concept, and I am referring to whites usually not being subjected to undue suspicion and profiling, whether it is intentional or subconscious.

I am sure that some blacks subject some whites to undue suspicion and stereotyping, too, but when blacks do it to whites, there is less a chance of harm coming to the white person, I think. (I could be wrong, of course.)

And, yes, I admit I do suffer from some white guilt because although as far as I know, none of my ancestors owned slaves and most lived in the Midwest, I do know that many of them were racists.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm white and certainly no SJW, but I think there definitely is something to the "white privilege" concept, and I am referring to whites usually not being subjected to undue suspicion and profiling, whether it is intentional or subconscious.

I am sure that some blacks subject some whites to undue suspicion and stereotyping, too, but when blacks do it to whites, there is less a chance of harm coming to the white person, I think. (I could be wrong, of course.)

And, yes, I admit I do suffer from some white guilt because although as far as I know, none of my ancestors owned slaves and most lived in the Midwest, I do know that many of them were racists.
And then there is black privilege, where you can say whatever you'd like and never lose your job over it or be accused of being a racist.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sure they do. But no one has coined the term "minority privilege" yet. It's all about whitey, and knocking the white man down a notch.
I started using the phrase black privilege more than a year ago. Feel free to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies