Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...506424551.html

I wonder if liberals will just say it's the price of living in a big city?

Liberals will say that epidemics are the price that has to paid to be around world-class ballet, street food trucks, expensive martini bars and 5-star white-table cloth restaurants with large reservation lists.

Typhus? Hepatitis? Whooping cough? What is next.

Wonder how many outbreaks it will take before they admit that LA really is just becoming nothing more than a big incubator of infectious disease?

Big Typhus, Hepatitis outbreaks and now Whopping Cough spreading very fast in LA with as many 30 students at a school with Whooping cough.
This is what happens when you combine anti vaxxers and illegal aliens.

And, the numbers of cases are going to inc dramatically.

Next is TB, measles (already increasing), polio..All diseases that were almost eradicated in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This is what happens when you combine anti vaxxers and illegal aliens.

And, the numbers of cases are going to inc dramatically.

Next is TB, measles (already increasing), polio..All diseases that were almost eradicated in the US.
Actually, the countries of Central and South America for the most part have as good or better vaccination rates than the US, and certainly higher rates than in anti-vax areas of the US, one of which is southern California. Measles is being brought in mostly from Europe, the Philippines and Israel. There is no polio except in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and you have to prove you have been vaccinated for it to leave Pakistan. There have only been a handful of cases this past year. I would be interested in hearing about any big surge in TB, particularly of TB being brought in from the south.

Here are the OCED rates for DTP and measles (2017): https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/chi...tion-rates.htm
US: DTP, 94%; measles 91%
Chile: DTP, 93%; measles 93%
Columbia: DTP, 92%; measles 93%
Costa Rica: DTP, 96%; measles 96%
Brazil: DTP, 89%; measles 97%
Mexico: DTP, 97%; measles 97%

Here are some more rates for various diseases including polio: https://www.cato.org/blog/migrant-ca...cination-rates

For three doses of polio vaccine:
Nicaraugua, 98%
Honduras, 97%
Costa Rica, 96%
US, 93%
Mexico, 91%
El Salvador, 87%
Guatemala, 84%

Tuberculosis immunization ranges from 99% in Honduras to 81% in Guatemala. The US does not use the TB vaccine.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, the countries of Central and South America for the most part have as good or better vaccination rates than the US, and certainly higher rates than in anti-vax areas of the US, one of which is southern California. Measles is being brought in mostly from Europe, the Philippines and Israel. There is no polio except in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and you have to prove you have been vaccinated for it to leave Pakistan. There have only been a handful of cases this past year. I would be interested in hearing about any big surge in TB, particularly of TB being brought in from the south.

Here are the OCED rates for DTP and measles (2017): https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/chi...tion-rates.htm
US: DTP, 94%; measles 91%
Chile: DTP, 93%; measles 93%
Columbia: DTP, 92%; measles 93%
Costa Rica: DTP, 96%; measles 96%
Brazil: DTP, 89%; measles 97%
Mexico: DTP, 97%; measles 97%

Here are some more rates for various diseases including polio: https://www.cato.org/blog/migrant-ca...cination-rates

For three doses of polio vaccine:
Nicaraugua, 98%
Honduras, 97%
Costa Rica, 96%
US, 93%
Mexico, 91%
El Salvador, 87%
Guatemala, 84%

Tuberculosis immunization ranges from 99% in Honduras to 81% in Guatemala. The US does not use the TB vaccine.
I thought DTP was replaced in the 90's with Dtap? I know the basis in layman's terms but you elaborate on the medical difference between the two. It does seem that the older version "worked" better than the newer one.

Back in the 70's hub's coworker's wife was diagnosed with TB. She lived in NY and had never traveled out of the country. Her husband and children were quarantined but never caught it. I can say that was the extent of it. None of her coworkers or friends, us included, were tested back then. No, that vaccine was not typically given back in those days either. I myself have had the TB test multiple times for work.

Last edited by Jo48; 03-07-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-07-2019, 06:56 PM

DTaP is a form of DTP. They both protect against the same diseases.

The US and the Netherlands are the only two countries in the world that have never used the TB vaccine (BCG). Kind of puts the kibosh on the idea that the US uses every vaccine that comes along. We also don't use Meningitis C vaccine for infants as many other countries do, including our neighbor to the north.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I thought DTP was replaced in the 90's with Dtap? I know the basis in layman's terms but you elaborate on the medical difference between the two. It does seem that the older version "worked" better than the newer one.

Back in the 70's hub's coworker's wife was diagnosed with TB. She lived in NY and had never traveled out of the country. Her husband and children were quarantined but never caught it. I can say that was the extent of it. None of her coworkers or friends, us included, were tested back then. No, that vaccine was not typically given back in those days either. I myself have had the TB test multiple times for work.
Part II (I was in a restaurant and my food came up above!)

I am pretty surprised that none of the patient's co-workers or friends were tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies