Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I know this much, the Democratic Party of my youth no longer exists but the Republican Party is the same that’s it’s always been.

Indeed- I would be a Harry Truman democrat if that still existed. The dems of that era were clearly the champions of the middle class and promoted common sense political views. Even Ike was more of a dem than a republican in his views for the time.

The democrat party went "off the rails" with Johnson and has never recovered. Policies promoted under the guise of "helping the middle class" have had the opposite effect. '

Republicans are no darlings and are not devoid of their share of mistakes. However, the policies of the republicans are much more in alignment with common sense than the lunacy of the modern dems.

I wonder what Harry Truman would think of his party today? What do you suppose FDR would think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I know this much, the Democratic Party of my youth no longer exists but the Republican Party is the same that’s it’s always been.
Not really.

There's conservatives, rinos, and neocons in our camp.
Neocons are essentially pro big government types. Like GWB.
They love spending money where they see fit, typically in "defense" / military.
Liberals are big time pro big government. In the form of social safety nets and expanding bureacracy for their pet projects.

I'm a conservative millennial.
I believe in order to combat the national debt, you don't raise taxes. You force .gov to function no different than you or I or a business.
Maintain/sustain yourself within a budget. Operate at breaking even or for profit or close.

I don't believe .gov has a say in our private lives.
I believe social security is the ultimate ponzi scheme to ever exist which has been abused by Congress before... it's not their piggy bank to borrow from.
Give me every cent I ever paid in I'll invest it better and be set to retire at 45.
I am not of the mindset that I need an elected leader.
Nor protection from something or someone.

I have no need for ever restrictive laws. I have no need for unnecessary alphabet soup bureacracies who's premise is sold to the public as a protector of some sort. When in reality only manages to burn through piles of cash...

I do not believe in trading liberties for a false sense of security. I can manage my money, I can defend myself, and before ACA I could afford to take care of my health which went against the liberals narrative of 20 somethings not being able to afford health care. That said... .govs job is simple. Defend and uphold the constitution not interpret it to a feelz campaign.
Promote the general welfare? Not by welfare programs...

I and a few others in this thread are a thorn in liberals and neocons sides. Especially the libertarians. We aren't lemmings who need babysitters. And we can see the problems with expanding .gov and when we point these problems out? It's heresy, blasphemy and discredited as we are seen to want to make this nation become some sort of lawless hell hole...

We dont. Indoctrination is a real thing...

Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"the intellectuals are more totalitarian in outlook than the common people. … Most of them are perfectly ready for dictatorial methods, secret police, systematic falsification of history etc. so long as they feel that it is on ‘our’ side.
- George Orwell

“Progressive” is so much nicer a word than “totalitarian.” Yet progressives are in danger of turning their brand into a frighteningly Orwellian euphemism for totalitarianism. To the Ministry of Truth's “WAR IS PEACE,” “FREEDOM IS SLAVERY,” “IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH,” we now may be required to add:
"TOTALITARIANISM IS PROGRESS."

https://lithub.com/the-thin-line-bet...talitarianism/ This is really a good read- check it out.

Orwell was a communist earlier in life. He volunteered to fight on the side of the communists in the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s and witnessed first hand communism in action. He was particularly disturbed by the Soviet advisers and their treatment of "comrades". Fortunately, Orwell was wounded by a sniper (not killed) and reflected upon his experiences in the war. He had a complete reversal of his previous views and became an ardent opponent of communism/liberalism. Winston Churchill read "1984" nearly a dozen times and was an admirer of Orwell, even though they only met once.
There is no question about it.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Pretty much the opposite.

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty and equality. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support civil rights, democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and free markets
That's classical liberalism, not the neo-pseudoliberalism we have now which does indeed skew towards totalitarianism. Read through any of the city-data threads. Today's neo-pseudoliberals are ALWAYS telling everyone else "what society values" and "what society should do" INSTEAD of supporting and endorsing individual liberties and freedom of choice.
Quote:
Totalitarianism is a political concept of a mode of government that prohibits opposition parties, restricts individual opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high degree of control over public and private life. It is regarded as the most extreme and complete form of authoritarianism. Political power in totalitarian states has often been held by rule by one leader which employ all-encompassing propaganda campaigns broadcast by state-controlled mass media. Totalitarian regimes are often marked by political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy, restriction of speech, mass surveillance and widespread use of state terrorism.
I see liberals expressing exactly such concepts all the time. /shrug

Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty and equality. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support civil rights, democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and free markets.
Yes liberalism is so wonderful as long as you don't dare say or do anything that is considered blasphemous against it. There is no freedom of speech if you have to conform to PC ideology and anything you say that by accident or in jest might violate said ideology might cause your career to be destroyed or your business to be ruined. Even something tweeted years ago or only rumored to have been said or simply questioning any of the above cam cause all sorts of problems. Even if you are a person of color and espouse liberal beliefs won't keep your out of danger. Kevin Hart would be one of the latest examples.

Quote:
Totalitarianism is a political concept of a mode of government that prohibits opposition parties, restricts individual opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high degree of control over public and private life. It is regarded as the most extreme and complete form of authoritarianism. Totalitarian regimes are often marked by political repression, control over the economy, restriction of speech,
We live in a world now when even liberal comedians require all phones to be confiscated for fear of saying a joke that might be taken the wrong way and cause backlash and end their career.

It seems to me liberalism is the first paragraph enforced by the second paragraph. There are no freedoms when you cannot say or do what you want without fear of it upsetting some protected group.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-01-2019 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 07:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Default Is liberalism totalitarianism?

The answer to your question is no.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 AM

29 posts, read 21,448 times
Any philosophy or orthodoxy can lead to totalitarianism, whether it be left or right, religious or otherwise. The fact is that when one is asked to subscribe to a strict set of tenants based on firm belief or 'faith,' without question, that can easily lead to totalitarianism.

Unfortunately, we see that in many segments of society today, whereby one is made to believe in an orthodoxy without questioning.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The answer to your question is no.
Lol, ok.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
No.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Yes.

But so is conservatism.

Bottom line, you both suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies