Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:05 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Lol.... Then you should be fine with it then... I hope I don't hear a complaint from you later....
My what a broad assumption you make based on one post....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
This is interesting. Trump says in speech, "I will be signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research dollars".

I wonder how long it will take before the tabloid media spins this as "Trumps promotes far right hate speech in schools", or some nonsense like that.

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/1101915764414541828
About time...the Demonics have controlled speech at most universities for decades and won't take kindly to free speech and spirited debate...Demonics will become violent when faced off against truth and honesty.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can assume you mean the students like those at Liberty University that were protesting, destroying property and generally causing mayhem during Bernie Sanders visit.
Actually I wasn't referring to any specific incident I was implying that schools with a strong religious connection are not know for their free and open viewpoints and Berkley has been the poster child for the left ever since the 60's.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Well I guess that would apply to Liberty University and others of same ilk not just the left leaning ones.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Another executive order by Trump. I wonder when he'll actually learn to get along with others and sign a bill into law in cooperation with Congress. Or is he going to call college students refusing to listen to right wing pundits a national emergency too?

Old 03-03-2019, 07:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Continuing to work my way through the list...

Janet Mock voluntarily withdrew from the event at Brown after students petitioned her to disavow a sponsoring organization. This incident hardly qualifies as a “disinvitation” because she herself chose not to speak and in response the controversy the university offered to find another student organization to issue an invitation for her to speak, but she declined to take the school up on its offer. Brown honored its Statement on Academic Freedom for Faculty and Students.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-03-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
I don't know what this legislation means or hopes to accomplish. It sounds good, but what universities ostensibly oppose free speech?

A university cannot and shouldn't be forced to host every public speaker. That will make a mockery out of universities. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you're required to host every nutjob on your property even if that property is public.

But here is what I'd like to see happen

1)Students cannot be disciplined for speech, students cannot be denied admission for their speech. There has been calls for students making racist comments or attending racist rallies to be expelled or denied admission on their pending application. That immediately needs to be stopped - universities who accept federal R/D dollars and do this need to be severely fined.

2)Tenured professors cannot have their posts changed or be fired due to their speech. James Watson was in the news where his comments to a newspaper caused the university or research laboratory (which I'm sure receives a lot of Federal R/D dollars) to cut ties with him. They shouldn't be able to do this, and should be fined.

This of course cuts both ways. Not just speech the left deems racist should be protected but also the speech the right doesn't like it be it pro-Palestinian, be it anti-Police, anti-White. Etc.

Universities should be "safe spaces" for ideas. As long as you're qualified you should be able to advance any argument and be safe in doing so. When the university starts policing speech and ideas and issuing censures ("We don't condone X, Y, Z") is when people stop searching for the truth and start obeying the sacred cows of political correctness to keep their jobs, their positions, and their reputations.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
In 2015-2016..Berkley received a staggering $370 million in federal tax dollars! For 1 year!
For very good reasons I would add.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
That didn't have the earmarking of a state sponsored punch. Is that all you people have?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
"Propaganda wing" is a pretty specific accusation. Have a link for anything not from an equally right wing source? Mainstream media sources probably have a bit of inherent left bias due to the higher intelligence and education of your average person in media.
Is this a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies