Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 05:18 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

High drama alert.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:35 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
another orangemanbad outrage site.

Translation: We don't have any marketable skills and We can't make any money promoting our radical views on a level playing field, so we hope we can trigger enough Haters to donate money to us.
The author of this piece is praying Trump supporters die. It is clear from this and other pieces he has written.

Here is a recent tweet from him. Extreme TDS. Incurable.

William Rivers Pitt
@WRPitt
There are people who videotape themselves masturbating, which is fine, I don’t judge in any way whatsoever. Those people do not broadcast that footage in front of the national press corps at the White House while people are dying, and that is precisely what #Trump did yesterday.

11:48 PM - Apr 14, 2020

Old 04-16-2020, 05:53 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
- MORE at Truthout

This is an interesting story, but even a liberal like me finds the reporting to be a tad sensationalist.

"Support Trump and you die, suck-ahs!"

To be sure, social distancing and hand washing, etc. will give you more protection from CV and just as importantly, you also avoid spreading the disease to others. Nationwide. example abound of Church congregations who insisted on holding normal services in packed churches only to see afterward that their congregation members were dropping like flies. S. Dakota's hot spot was created when company managers refused to distribute PPE's to workers on the line despite the fact that workers had been urgently requesting gloves and masks for weeks.

The two examples above are tragic - especially since they could have been prevented. However it is difficult for me to believe that rural states like Iowa, N. Dakota, Nebraska, and even S. Dakota are going to be hit by horrific coronavirus conflagrations. The same thing that has protected these states so far - low population density - will continue to protect them. It's not about these places having large numbers of Trump supporters - a virus is indifferent to people's political persuasions.

The four states with the lowest population densities per mile are:

1) Alaska 1.3
2) Wyoming 6.0
3) Montana 7.1
4) North Dakota 11.0

The states with the highest population densities are:

1) District of Columbia 11,815
2) New Jersey 1,215
3) Rhode Island 1,021
4) Massachusetts 894
5) Connecticut 736
6) Maryland 627
7) Delaware 504
8) New York 413 (Even though NY comes in at 8, New York City is also the most highly populated city
in the United States.

- From World Population Review

Wow! Looks like the low population states are rural and trend Red. The highest density states are much more urbanized and tend Blue.

A virus which lives in an environment where there are zillions of people coughing and touching every surface in sight is going to have a much easier time spreading in NYC than a virus in Alaska which must wait around to hop on a passing dog team or hitch a ride with a bush pilot - that's if the cold doesn't kill it first. This is just simple population biology - that's all.

Those who take glee in the plight of Blue states and cities and accuse the hospitals there of inflating the list of their needs out of sheer greed could not be more wrong.

And those who just can't wait for rural Red states to be decimated by the coronavirus because this will be incontrovertible proof of Trump's ignorance and over-all malfeasance also could not be more wrong.

We can and do fight to the bitter end almost every political issue that arises. But when it comes to the Coronavirus, we all get sick and many will die all the same. This pandemic is taking the lives of AMERICANS - not political parties. We should remember that.
I appreciate the political balance of your message, we need more than that.

The one thing I would add\clarify is that the rural states are less exposed than say NYC but they are not less exposed than the typical metro suburb as their population isn't spread out across the state with everyone farming 40 acres.

For example, Nebraska has 65% of it's population in just the greater Omaha area. The fact that there are huge huge tracts of land out in the hinterlands with almost nobody in them renders broad density metrics utterly useless.

The fact that there are 12 counties with fewer than 1,000 people in them doesn't somehow make the entire population isolated. 3 counties out of 91 have over half the states population. Most of Nebraska population is just as exposed as any other state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Nebraska

Old 04-16-2020, 06:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
You know they had nothing to do with it, unless you're really dimwitted.
NO they were unprepared and for that they should be condemned. No free pass for that. A pandemic has been predicted for decades. It was only a matter of time.

Only the dimwitted would give Govenors of high population density states a free pass. They absolutely could have and should have been much better prepared and quicker to respond.

The Fed? Based upon the CDC's performance among others, We have wasted billions of dollars and they need to be taken to task. That said I don't expect the Fed to be getting my State prepared for catastrophes, I expect my state to prepare itself.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:11 PM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
- MORE at Truthout

This is an interesting story, but even a liberal like me finds the reporting to be a tad sensationalist.

"Support Trump and you die, suck-ahs!"

To be sure, social distancing and hand washing, etc. will give you more protection from CV and just as importantly, you also avoid spreading the disease to others. Nationwide. example abound of Church congregations who insisted on holding normal services in packed churches only to see afterward that their congregation members were dropping like flies. S. Dakota's hot spot was created when company managers refused to distribute PPE's to workers on the line despite the fact that workers had been urgently requesting gloves and masks for weeks.

The two examples above are tragic - especially since they could have been prevented. However it is difficult for me to believe that rural states like Iowa, N. Dakota, Nebraska, and even S. Dakota are going to be hit by horrific coronavirus conflagrations. The same thing that has protected these states so far - low population density - will continue to protect them. It's not about these places having large numbers of Trump supporters - a virus is indifferent to people's political persuasions.

The four states with the lowest population densities per mile are:

1) Alaska 1.3
2) Wyoming 6.0
3) Montana 7.1
4) North Dakota 11.0

The states with the highest population densities are:

1) District of Columbia 11,815
2) New Jersey 1,215
3) Rhode Island 1,021
4) Massachusetts 894
5) Connecticut 736
6) Maryland 627
7) Delaware 504
8) New York 413 (Even though NY comes in at 8, New York City is also the most highly populated city
in the United States.

- From World Population Review

Wow! Looks like the low population states are rural and trend Red. The highest density states are much more urbanized and tend Blue.

A virus which lives in an environment where there are zillions of people coughing and touching every surface in sight is going to have a much easier time spreading in NYC than a virus in Alaska which must wait around to hop on a passing dog team or hitch a ride with a bush pilot - that's if the cold doesn't kill it first. This is just simple population biology - that's all.

Those who take glee in the plight of Blue states and cities and accuse the hospitals there of inflating the list of their needs out of sheer greed could not be more wrong.

And those who just can't wait for rural Red states to be decimated by the coronavirus because this will be incontrovertible proof of Trump's ignorance and over-all malfeasance also could not be more wrong.

We can and do fight to the bitter end almost every political issue that arises. But when it comes to the Coronavirus, we all get sick and many will die all the same. This pandemic is taking the lives of AMERICANS - not political parties. We should remember that.
When did the District of Columbia become a state?

Old 04-16-2020, 06:27 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why have these Democrat Governors allowed this to happen?
They invited Wuhanians to visit and hug Americans.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
NO they were unprepared and for that they should be condemned. No free pass for that. A pandemic has been predicted for decades. It was only a matter of time.

Only the dimwitted would give Govenors of high population density states a free pass. They absolutely could have and should have been much better prepared and quicker to respond.

The Fed? Based upon the CDC's performance among others, We have wasted billions of dollars and they need to be taken to task. That said I don't expect the Fed to be getting my State prepared for catastrophes, I expect my state to prepare itself.
But the president? Does he get a pass? He did promise that he, alone, would fix it. The buck stops with the boss, no? So what proportion of the responsibility does he get in your book, alongside these “Democrat” governors?

Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
But the president? Does he get a pass? He did promise that he, alone, would fix it. The buck stops with the boss, no? So what proportion of the responsibility does he get in your book, alongside these “Democrat” governors?
Where are the millions of deaths we were promised by libs because of Trump being in charge? Hell I thought we were all supposed to die from WW3 before this

Old 04-16-2020, 07:10 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know why this needs to be a red state/ blue state issue but here we are.
Because some people are really partisan and not bright enough to discuss things with any more than one variable.

Even the rural states have most of their population in a relatively suburban level density. I posted this in another thread recently, Nebraska for example has 2/3 of it's population in one small part of the state and then has a dozen counties out of 91 with less than 1,000 people in them.

That doesn't make the state "spared by low density" because the density is not uniform across the state.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The 7 states with the most cases all have Democrat Governors and have 75% of all US deaths from the virus. Rural areas account for a bout 2% of US deaths. So threadfail. Anyway, it was China's lies as well as our Fake News media and lying Dimocrats that are killing New York, Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Detroit, Illinois...
What you do with Florida ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies