Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

Top reasons why Medicare denies services

1. REASON FOR DENIAL: The treatment, prescription or medical service is unlikely to cause your health condition to improve.

2. REASON FOR DENIAL: You are likely to require care for a very long time… or have already received treatment for a very long time without a resolution of the problem.

3. REASON FOR DENIAL: You do not qualify for Medicare-covered home care because you are not homebound.

4. REASON FOR DENIAL: The dosage level of a prescription is greater than the dosage normally prescribed…

5. REASON FOR DENIAL: Technical errors were made in the original Medicare claim

but don't worry, there is 5 level appeal process. If your Medicare appeal is denied, you have the right to file as many as four more appeals.

Appeal #2: You have 180 days from the date your redetermination request is denied to request that a Qualified Independent Contractor (QIC) make a “reconsideration determination.”

Appeal #3: If your second appeal is denied as well and the amount in dispute is at least $120 ($200 for a hospital inpatient claim), then you have 60 days to file a third appeal, this time with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) of the US Department of Health and Human Services. Filing instructions are included with the denial. Get a lawyer.

Appeal #4: If the judge turns down your third appeal, you have 60 days to request that the Medicare Appeals Council (MAC) review the decision.

Appeal #5: If the MAC turns down your appeal, you have 60 days to determine if you wish to hire an attorney and file a judicial review in Federal District Court.

Sounds like a streamline system huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Maybe they hope that the patient dies before all those appeals are decided

Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM

550 posts, read 368,659 times
I lived in England for two years and used the national health system. Unless it's changed, it's really a collection of trust funds that control medical care and vary in services offered by geographic location and funding.

I think the English system is more like Medicaid where they have to cover x-number of things but beyond that, it varies by state (California covers a lot more than Mississippi does).

My care was fine but not it's definitely rationed care. For instance, my wife was in her early 30s and in the US, had a PAP test every year as part of her healthcare. In England, it's offered once every three years unless there's a medical reason (previous abnormal test).

The other thing is that it is stacked against the elderly. Our neighbor in her late 70s was told that she was too old for a knee replacement. Never mind if it would have helped her. Hopefully, the laws have been changed to stop that discrimination.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM

193 posts, read 69,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I agree.

We already have socialized medicine in the form of Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA.

These all have their problems and can be improved upon but who is screaming to eliminate them (like they scream about the ACA)?

Can you imagine Congress introducing a bill to eliminate them?
As a veteran I'll scream all day long to eliminate the VA, the medical "care" there is just completely awful. I think I have used the VA 3 or 4 times after I first got out of the military until I had to threaten them with falsifying medical records when they refused to document my ankle/knee problems to avoid claims...which I wasn't even planning on filing I just wanted my medical records to be accurate Anyone who has been subjected to the VA can tell you that they are not only awful when it comes to medical care but also crooked and dishonest when it comes to medical claims

Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've been reading about these situations for years from the BBC news site.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...51795002828948
And the rest of the world has been reading about thousands of Americans dying for lack of pre-emptive healthcare each and every year. Your's to ante up or fold your cards.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
We already have socialized medicine. People just don't agree on who to steal from, how much, and who to bribe.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Here ya go, right from a horse's mouth:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...n-he-came.html

Gotta love the kid's sarcasm.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
I think everyone should just stop signing up for Medicare and those taking it refuse it because it is socialized medicine

Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
One problem with a universal healthcare system is when it is set up like here in Portugal. There is that universal state-run one, but in parallel there is private healthcare with hospitals etc. The private institutions have more money to spend, so they pay doctors and nurses more money, so there is a brain drain on the public system, leading to longer waiting lists. People who can afford it, opt for private healthcare. Eventually there is a two-class healthcare system.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I lived in England for two years and used the national health system. Unless it's changed, it's really a collection of trust funds that control medical care and vary in services offered by geographic location and funding.

I think the English system is more like Medicaid where they have to cover x-number of things but beyond that, it varies by state (California covers a lot more than Mississippi does).

My care was fine but not it's definitely rationed care. For instance, my wife was in her early 30s and in the US, had a PAP test every year as part of her healthcare. In England, it's offered once every three years unless there's a medical reason (previous abnormal test).

The other thing is that it is stacked against the elderly. Our neighbor in her late 70s was told that she was too old for a knee replacement. Never mind if it would have helped her. Hopefully, the laws have been changed to stop that discrimination.
The NHS is made up of trusts that run hospitals in an area, they apply for money from central Government through taxes such as income tax and national insurance.

In terms of the elderly, the NHS now has a constitution stating that there can not be any discrimination in relation to treatment in respect of age.

NHS Constitution for England - GOV.UK

As for PAP Tests, since 2008, all girls aged 12 and 13 have been offered a vaccination against the human papillomavirus (HPV). The vaccine can prevent over 70% of cervical cancers, althgough it is very very rare in under 25's, furthermore you an go to your local doctor at any time and ask to be screened between tests.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-04-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies