Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect. That is just made up nonsense.

Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Burning a log puts the same materials into the environment no matter how it's done. And all of it is 100% biodegradable. The carbon cycle is complete when a new tree is grown.

And if the alternative is heating by a fossil fuel based alternative, then it's a net gain too.
Wrong.

Example. Anthrax in the ground where it naturally exists doesn't hurt or kill you and I.

Disperse it into the air.....and we die.
Same goes with those bad things mentioned. Oh, and as you well know, extra hot combustion turns many compounds into different (and safer) things.

Particulates slowly soaking into the forest floor.....as opposed to covering your street in a fog...see if you can tell us the difference between the two???

Rocks are fine sitting there...even sand! But make it into a dust and breathe it....are you now claiming there is no difference? I'm taking away your degree for that (virtually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is the time to mention our good friend at Good Time Stove Co. in Goshen, MA.

Anyone up there needs to visit his stove museum (and you can buy any you want) as well as his amazing Rock sanctuary that he has spent two decades building!
very cool.

some day i'm determined to own a round oak.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very cool.

some day i'm determined to own a round oak.

It would be a travesty to burn wood in it. They do make modern reproductions of some models.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
So should the state also fix the septic systems and install a new septic system in place of a cesspool? Should they also replace all my non-compliant smoke detectors?

I'm in Florida - should the state upgrade my 1952 house to modern Hurricane Standards? Not doing so is costing me MANY woodstoves ($$) per year.

You need to have a bit of consistency here.

Should the state buy be a new clean car to replace my 1970 Bonneville that I wish to use as my daily driver but won't pass safety or pollution inspection?
These things need to be grandfathered in. The Bonneville is a classic. Want to go after classic cars too? Why are your smoke detectors non-compliant to the comrades? Do they have to be wired in because the nazis say so? Are we to dumb to replace a battery? Why do you need to upgrade a 1952 house, says who? If they FORCE it on you it is up to them to pay for it, yes. Let the taxpayers pay for the FORCED upgrades if they vote in these dictators to write these laws.

Clearly you have money for these things, many people simply do not.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It would be a travesty to burn wood in it. They do make modern reproductions of some models.
just enough to get the coal started

is that one of yours in the picture? are those mica windows?

Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just enough to get the coal started

is that one of yours in the picture? are those mica windows?

It's from a member of my site, if I recall they are mica.: https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!!!!!! When I read this line in that "article" , it let me know how that rag thinks and what their agenda is:

Indeed, the increasingly radical and hateful political left-wing is seeking to freeze their own constituents to death. Of course, these tyrants claim that humanity could not survive even one more generation without completely eliminating the use of all fossil fuels, lest the world’s ice all melt and drown us all. No wonder people are beginning to refer to leftists as enviro-fascists.

And you guys bit** about other news sources being slanted !

(BTW, it is 2019...…...you people are still heating your homes with 1600 technology ?????? )
Wood heat is a lot cheaper and many rural areas don't have access to natural gas. Electric heat is extremely expensive for older homes.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Solar heat... It's called the Sun. That will do real well in the winter time.

Gas and oil production, coal and wood burning will be banned. All 350 Million of us will need to move to AZ in the winter.

No water bruh.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
These things need to be grandfathered in. The Bonneville is a classic. Want to go after classic cars too? Why are your smoke detectors non-compliant to the comrades? Do they have to be wired in because the nazis say so? Are we to dumb to replace a battery? Why do you need to upgrade a 1952 house, says who? If they FORCE it on you it is up to them to pay for it, yes. Let the taxpayers pay for the FORCED upgrades if they vote in these dictators to write these laws.

Clearly you have money for these things, many people simply do not.
Actually, I didn't upgrade my 1952 house - the point is I am paying 2K extra a year in homeowners for not doing so.

Classic cars are usually limited to the amount of time they can be on the road...antique plates and all of that.

It all depends on your worldview and how far you have your head buried in the sand. Here in Florida there is no vehicle inspection and every single day I see cars near me spewing out 50X as much pollution as modern standards. If this is how everyone wants to live - shorter life spans with more disease - then you can have your "liberty".

It's as if a bunch of Americans think we are still living in a place with 5 million people...when there are 325 million.

Now - that we agree to disagree - you can go back to pushing for 100 watt bulbs that use 100 watts and also make your A/C work harder. I, on the other hand, will push for cleaner, more efficient and a more productive country.

It's going to happen no matter how worked up you get - and assuming you have children, they will be the better for it.

But I guess if all one thinks about is NOW.....then you are absolutely right. Laws? Who needs them? Someone should be able to shoot another in the middle of 5th avenue and get away with it. Liberty.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
"The Fairbanks North Star Borough in Alaska has some of the worst airborne particle pollution in the country, most of which comes from wood burning stoves.

New York—the second largest consumer of wood for heating—says that fine particle pollution from wood stoves pollution outstrips power plants and cars’ pollution combined. Wood stoves cause more than half of the winter particle pollution in Sacramento County, Calif."

Think about that - Clean Frontier of Alaska....worst in the USA. NY State.....more from stoves than from cars or power plants!

Anyone with a lick of common sense knows this sux and has zero to do with liberty.
Nonsense.

The alternative is either burning more diesel & fuel oil for power generation & heat in a place that seems some of the most extreme winter weather on the planet. Anyone would be crazy there for NOT having a wood stove, if for anything else, backup. No heat = quick death.

You guys wish to defend action taken in New Hampshire by what's taking place in the extreme environment of Fairbanks of Alaska.

Yet again, it's fallacious comparison used to justify huge government overreach disguised as doing something good for the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies