Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Only 1 dixiecrat went to the republican side. Strom Thurmond Of the 20 or so remaining dixiecrats they stayed in office as a democrat or a democrat took their place for the next 20+ years.

The republicans didn't control the southern congress until the early 1990s. The less racist the south became, the more republican it became.
This is absolutely true and something that the left does not want to admit to because it destroys their narrative of a "racist, southern GOP."

As I'll tell anyone who will listen, most Deep South legislatures switched to GOP control for the first time since reconstruction AFTER the Tea Party waves of 2010 and 2014. Georgia had its first GOP governor since reconstruction in Sonny Purdue in 2002. And Bill Clinton showed that Democrats could still win much of the South at the presidential level up until the late 1990s; its that the Dem Party went off the deep end to the left that they became less competitive in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

By party and region

Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.[24]
The original House version:
  • Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
  • Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
  • Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:
Thank you for proving my point about the democrats and George Wallace.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 03-05-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
The more I read, the more it does seem Muslim or not -- if someone brings up pro-Israeli lobbyists funding politicians -- that person is labelled anti-Semitic. It seems to be the defense strategy.

There seems to be a very fine line......

Seems Jordan is under fire and being accused of antisemitism for this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/statu...68353492721664

Old 03-05-2019, 10:39 AM

But I will say --- Omar seems to get her hand slapped every time she steps in it...by her own party as well as the opposition.

So I'm not sure she is getting away with anything.

I can understand the call to have her removed from the Foreign Affairs Committee if there is concern.

At what point can someone make the same 'mistake' (on purpose or not) and not have consequences.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This is absolutely true and something that the left does not want to admit to because it destroys their narrative of a "racist, southern GOP."

As I'll tell anyone who will listen, most Deep South legislatures switched to GOP control for the first time since reconstruction AFTER the Tea Party waves of 2010 and 2014. Georgia had its first GOP governor since reconstruction in Sonny Purdue in 2002. And Bill Clinton showed that Democrats could still win much of the South at the presidential level up until the late 1990s; its that the Dem Party went off the deep end to the left that they became less competitive in this region.
On top of that.
George Wallace, more than likely would have won the democratic nomination for President in 1972.
Humphrey edged McGovern in the popular vote. Both had ~25% Wallace who was shot , didn't campaign and still received ~23.5%

Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe Nazis are good guys now too.
To Islamist like the Grand Mufti of Palestine and Obama's Associate and Nation of Islam leader, Louis Farrakhan they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are Democrats ok with racist Ilhan Omar?-mufti.jpg   Why are Democrats ok with racist Ilhan Omar?-obummer2.jpg  

Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
When did any of those countries supporters pour over 22 million into our 2018 elections? It's only bad to mention one country? So if I mention the Saudis does that mean it's anti Saudi or anti Muslim?

38 billion American taxpayer dollars for Israel. I think it's relevant she's calling them out.

"the U.S.-Israel Security Assistance Authorization Act which authorizes $38 billion in funding from the US to Israel.A hold is a congressional procedure that allows senators to prevent a motion from reaching the floor for a vote.
The bill formally codifies into law the $38 billion defense aid package signed in 2016 between US President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the former’s final days in office."

I think Trump would answer with a YES on that question. He wanted to build a wall and was called anti Mexcian more times than I can count. While taxpayers pay to keep our country safe in all kinds of ways, they will often suffer remarks like this, whether they are for or against it.

America supports Israel for the same reason we give billions away around the world.
Strength in a region. America also started to care more about strength in the region after 911 and started showing more sympathy for terror attacks happening in Israel. So how Americans view Muslim hate groups strengthened after that and Palestine produces plenty of terrorists which gives rise to doubts in Americans. America has given money to Israel for three decades, and it has increased since 911 as has the support. https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/how-...rael-1.5168556

It's not only Republicans that support contributions to Israel, but plenty of Democrats do also.

I think it's excessive, but I also think we should pull a lot of support we give. A lot of Democrats have complained and name called when Trump pulled out of various arrangements around the world that America gladly supported financially and militarily before then. It seems to go with the territory.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Incorrect.
Her constituents money is being used to fund Israel. The idea is to get your constituents money back, not give it away.
I have no problem with funding Israel since it is the United States solemn duty to protect and support Israel and it always will be.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I think Trump would answer with a YES on that question. He wanted to build a wall and was called anti Mexcian more times than I can count. While taxpayers pay to keep our country safe in all kinds of ways, they will often suffer remarks like this, whether they are for or against it.

America supports Israel for the same reason we give billions away around the world.
Strength in a region. America also started to care more about strength in the region after 911 and started showing more sympathy for terror attacks happening in Israel. So how Americans view Muslim hate groups strengthened after that and Palentine produces plenty of terrorists which gives rise to doubts in Americans. America has given money to Israel for three decades, and it has increased since 911 as has the support. https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/how-...rael-1.5168556

It's not only Republicans that support contributions to Israel, but plenty of Democrats do also.

I think it's excessive, but I also think we should pull a lot of support we give. A lot of Democrats have complained and name called when Trump pulled out of various arrangements around the world that America gladly supported financially and militarily before then. It seems to go with the territory.
That's what I always thought -- that there were folks on both sides of the aisle that support large amts. of aid to Israel

Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post

Strength in a region. America also started to care more about strength in the region after 911 and started showing more sympathy for terror attacks happening in Israel. So how Americans view Muslim hate groups strengthened after that and Palestine produces plenty of terrorists which gives rise to doubts in Americans. America has given money to Israel for three decades, and it has increased since 911 as has the support. https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/how-...rael-1.5168556

Yes both parties support giving our tax payers money to Israel. Republicans more so than democrats but both do.

As far as the Middle East goes America is the biggest terrorist threat. I don't see any country, not one, putting troops on our soil to protect their interests. Whether you believe they are actual interests or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies