Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:50 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If your business heavily relies on a particular "customer" base, then you will continously pander to them. Williams has to keep up his spiel if he wants to continue making money. He is in the conservative media business. He is similar to Rush Limbaugh IMO and Sean Hannity and others. If they stop pandering to their audiences, they'd lose their jobs.
And the reliance on one specific customer base is what can hurt you. There are other people you can reach out to. He is in the media business. He can afford to go after other bases if he so chooses.

Quote:
Actually no - there are race hustlers on both sides of the political aisle, both black and white. It is just interesting that often conservatives don't view the black conservative "race hustlers" (like Candace Owens) for what they are yet will go on and on about "Jesse and Al" lol. And FWIW I thin both Jesse and Al are race hustlers too. But in todays day and age, they make much less money than a black conservative race hustler.
Race hustlers are everywhere. However, who gets called a race hustler often depends on what certain people like or don't like.

I never gave Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton much attention. I don't hear many Black people mention Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton at all.

Quote:
Carson was always respected by black people in America prior to him running for president and subsequently working in the Trump administration.

I personally feel bad that he kind of ruined his legacy in black America by saying many of the idiotic things he's said. But even with those things, I still think he is a talented medical professional. I also believe that his life story exhibits a lot of black American cultural history in regards to persevering and working towards great things. But I don't remember ever reading/hearing him say racism doesn't exist like many of the black conservatives like to imply. Others will say that liberals are the "most racist" and I do remember him saying that and because he expressed that if he didn't think and act a certain way, they would label him an Uncle Tom or some other negative term. I don't think liberals are the "most racist" but for me, they are equally as racist and they are because they and conservatives often have stereotypes of what a black person should think, say, or do or how we are based only on our skin color/ethnic background (especially black Americans). Liberals do indeed do this but so do conservatives. Candace Owens I remember also saying that liberals are "more racist" but to me, that is stupid. I 100% know that all political ideologies can be racist and are in the same ways when it comes to black people.
I respect what Dr. Ben Carson did as a doctor. His story is one of someone coming out of a hard luck life. For what it's worth, he could have been in prison. However, he never met such a fate. He did great things with his life, and has helped other people. He has a respectable legacy. I think he should have stayed out of politics.

Dr. Carson has admitted to dealing with racism. He would never deny it. He isn't one of those persons who would say "there's no racism". He just doesn't think about what he says. Referring to the ancestors of slaves as "immigrants"? Come on. Carson himself comes from slaves. I'm thinking "Carson, are you even thinking about what you just said"?

I will agree with Carson that there are liberals who think of Black people as stereotypes. I will give him that. To say that ONLY liberals do that is idiotic though. I have experiences in my personal live where I've dealt with conservatives who saw me as a stereotype, or who were out right hostile towards me. Of course there will be some individuals who will discount my experiences as me "playing the race card". In a way, the racism can be found on both sides.

I had a few experiences in college where I got called "Carlton" because I "talked white" and dressed "preppy". The thing was, many of the instances where this happened, it wasn't a White liberal doing this. It was a White person who was conservative doing that crap. This is merely something I went through. This doesn't reflect on what Dr. Carson has gone through, and I am not talking about every conservative out there. This is something that happened in my life. I have been left wondering why it happened.

Quote:
Note that when a black Republican especially speaks seriously about racism within the Republican party they will kick them out or try to disparage/discredit them - similar to what they did to Michael Steele - who if I were going to be a Republican would be "my kind" of Republican. He is the type of black man that would be conservative and join the GOP if whites in that party weren't so afraid to tackle the fact that there actually is racism and that is actually does present itself in the GOP.
That is definitely the kind of Black Republican that I can respect. Be a Republican, but don't be blind to the prejudice around you. If you see something, it helps to say something. Michael Steele said something about the prejudice around him. I've said something about the racism I've seen, and like Michael Steele, I get disregarded. If we get more Republicans like Michael Steele, maybe more Black conservatives(and Blacks in general) would feel more comfortable joining the GOP. Of course, I wonder if some people actually want more Blacks to join the GOP and aren't just gaslighting because they want more Republicans in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,994,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see it. If Goldwater had supported the Civil Rights Act, more Black people would have voted Republican and kept on doing so. Nixon is pretty much the last Republican candidate to get at least 15% of the Black vote.

I would read this. This is what Nixon's strategist, Kevin Phillips, had to say about the Black vote and the Republican Party.
See the post by DRob just after yours. GOP senators voted in higher numbers for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Did they get the support of black voters? No.

Your statement about Nixon is not accurate. Gerald Ford got 17% of the black vote in 1976.
https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/how-groups-voted-1976

Actually the migration of black voters to the Democratic party was well underway in the 1930s. IIRC FDR got 75% of the black vote, even though he was not at all friendly to civil rights. He was strongly allied with the Southern segregationist Democrat congress members.

In short, the CRA of 1964 had little impact on voting patterns.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007
]Note that when a black Republican especially speaks seriously about racism within the Republican party they will kick them out or try to disparage/discredit them - similar to what they did to Michael Steele - who if I were going to be a Republican would be "my kind" of Republican. He is the type of black man that would be conservative and join the GOP if whites in that party weren't so afraid to tackle the fact that there actually is racism and that is actually does present itself in the GOP.
Steele was pushed out as RNC chair due to money mismanagement. Recall the story about RNC spending at a bondage-themed strip club?
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...e24578320.html

What is the evidence that speaking "seriously about racism" had anything to do with it? I would like to be proven wrong, but I doubt you can do it. I asked OP for evidence re post #1 in post 361. I never got it. I doubt I'll get it in this case either.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 PM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Steele was pushed out as RNC chair due to money mismanagement. Recall the story about RNC spending at a bondage-themed strip club?

What is the evidence that speaking "seriously about racism" had anything to do with it? I would like to be proven wrong, but I doubt you can do it. I asked OP for evidence re post #1 in post 361. I never got it. I doubt I'll get it in this case either.
Amy Holmes, Senator Scott.....

Its not hard to see how places like FOX News either silence black Conservatives who speak out by just not having them on or covering them, or replacing them all together with people like Diamond and Silk, David Clark, or Candace Owens.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Amy Holmes, Senator Scott.....

Its not hard to see how places like FOX News either silence black Conservatives who speak out by just not having them on or covering them, or replacing them all together with people like Diamond and Silk, David Clark, or Candace Owens.
First, your post does not address the questions from the post you quoted.

I was not familiar with Amy Holmes, but Tim Scott is a US Senator. I just saw him appear recently at a white house press conference re 'opportunity zones' with Trump. How is he being silenced by Fox News?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 AM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
First, your post does not address the questions from the post you quoted.

I was not familiar with Amy Holmes, but Tim Scott is a US Senator. I just saw him appear recently at a white house press conference re 'opportunity zones' with Trump. How is he being silenced by Fox News?
There have been 2 or 3 instances where Michael Steele has been publicly and privately attacked by members of the RNC and the GOP political sphere. his race randomly being mentioned each time.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cpa...racial-comment

Quote:
" We elected Mike Steele as chairman because he was a black guy, that was the wrong thing to do."
As for Holmes and Scott, I clearly said FOX News, not Trump himself.

In context, you cant have blinders on to understand this. Its a casual switching of the guard. The 2 people I mentioned are Republicans, but believe the GOP is wrong on racial issues. When ever something happens that sparks a conversation, they are replaced by black pundits who defend the GOP position on race, or blame black people in general for those problems that arise.

Black pundits or even non black pundits who say the GOP isnt doing its job on this issue get pushed off the stage(Rand Paul is a good example of someone who gets replaced as well)

Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There have been 2 or 3 instances where Michael Steele has been publicly and privately attacked by members of the RNC and the GOP political sphere. his race randomly being mentioned each time.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cpa...racial-comment

As for Holmes and Scott, I clearly said FOX News, not Trump himself.

In context, you cant have blinders on to understand this. Its a casual switching of the guard. The 2 people I mentioned are Republicans, but believe the GOP is wrong on racial issues. When ever something happens that sparks a conversation, they are replaced by black pundits who defend the GOP position on race, or blame black people in general for those problems that arise.

Black pundits or even non black pundits who say the GOP isnt doing its job on this issue get pushed off the stage(Rand Paul is a good example of someone who gets replaced as well)
This is sad. Michael Steele literally having to prove that he wasn't chosen "because he was Black". Stuff like this is going to make it less encouraging for Blacks to join the GOP. Literally having to prove yourself worthy within your own party. Michael Steele mentioned that many people don't know what he had to go through. I feel like some people don't want to hear what he had to go through. Some people just want him to "shut up" and go along to get along.

Not going along with the program certainly has its price. The last paragraph shows why it's beneficial for some conservatives to be hustlers. You go along with the program to keep your job. And that job is to be a "yes" man, or "yes" woman.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:51 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I respect what Dr. Ben Carson did as a doctor. His story is one of someone coming out of a hard luck life. For what it's worth, he could have been in prison. However, he never met such a fate. He did great things with his life, and has helped other people. He has a respectable legacy. I think he should have stayed out of politics.
I totally agree with your comment about Dr. Carson. His accomplishments in medicine were and are outstanding. Unfortunately, he has not exhibited the same judgment, say, as a surgeon, when it comes to public life. As a Hopkins alum, I was really disappointed with his rather ignorant comments about LGBT people while he was at JHU.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I totally agree with your comment about Dr. Carson. His accomplishments in medicine were and are outstanding. Unfortunately, he has not exhibited the same judgment, say, as a surgeon, when it comes to public life. As a Hopkins alum, I was really disappointed with his rather ignorant comments about LGBT people while he was at JHU.
Well, this is how I look at Dr. Carson. I would trust him as my surgeon and as my regular doctor. However, he is a bit like I was as a kid. He is very book smart. He's brilliant and stupid at the same time. He's really good at being a doctor, but not that great at dealing with people. He has been able to compensate for it by being a surgeon. He knows how to fix the inside of people, but has trouble dealing with people.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Owens is a pundit, not a race hustler.

Jackson and Sharpton are race hustlers. They shakedown companies for millions of dollars on claims of unfair treatment based on race. The companies settle and pay them off instead of going to court. That's a race hustler. Numerous examples here.

Race hustlers are not those who go on TV and voice an opinion.

Sharpton is also a pundit. Most of his income comes from his media engagement. Him also being an activist and "shaking down companies" doesn't mean he benefits from those settlements. And some companies do engage in "unfair treatment based on race" and they deserve the punishment they get in those regards IMO. I've worked in corporate America for many years and have been privvy to many racist behaviors in companies that are illegal in regards to treatment of employees, discrimination against employees of a particular group, and outright refusal to hire people of specific ethnic background because they don't "fit" the "culture" of the company. Al Sharpton is not a lawyer and neither is Jesse Jackson so neither of them get fees due to their activism/protests. Both of them get paid primarily due to drawing attention to themselves from media so media pays them. They also get paid via speaking engagements and books/writings/self created media - same as Candace Owens.

You just don't want to admit your conservative race hustlers.

I'll note that the most popular black conservative race hustlers usually are more outrageous than the liberal ones or ones that are just Afrocentric and not necessarily political (Farrakhan comes to mind). None of them say/spew a bunch of negative things about black people in order to agree with white racists. As much as I dislike Jesse Jackson (especially) and Al Sharpton and Farrakhan they do not put down their people for profit. Candace Owens does as do a lot of other black conservative pundits and media figures (like Diamond and Silk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies