Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Problem is the DEMS are talking about healthcare for all, college for all --- how exactly will they pay for that without adding even more to the deficit?
Reversing these idiotic tax cuts would be a start. k reinstating the estate tax, and it should be taxed at the same level the lottery is.

Last edited by sean1the1; 03-06-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They are blatant hypocrites, ravaged by their TDS.

The were silent during the eight years of Obama's deficit spending, and they applaud the new green deal, and Medicare for all, which will add tens of trillions to our national debt. They were publicly scoffing at the TEA party movement for wanting federal spending to be responsible. One of the arguments the left have used to oppose building the border fence is the possibility of eminent domain being used.

Now, the same people are concerned over the the rising debt, and they don't care at all, that the new green deal will impose eminent domain to force private and public land owners to allow the building of massive wind and solar farms.
No one said we weren't silent. We're just highlighting the fact that the TEA party came about with all of this deficit rhetoric during Obama, but are silent now. As a liberal I don't agree with the tax cuts I see that as a step in the wrong direction, and pure stupidity. If the tax cut never passed I wouldn't be up in arms about this likely because the deficit wouldn't have been this high.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:36 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The problem isn't that he over promised.

The real problem is that he doesn't know anything.
  • He doesn't know how international relationships work.
  • He doesn't know how international trade works.
  • He doesn't know how congress works.
  • He doesn't know how US owned manufacturing works.
  • He doesn't know how foreign ownership of US manufacturing works.
  • He doesn't know how tariffs work.
  • He doesn't know how to deal with politicians.
  • He doesn't know how to deal with real businessmen.
  • Hell, he doesn't even know how people in his own cabinet, or his White House work.
  • He certainly doesn't know anything about how to choose the "best people."

I'm wasting time here. He is an idiot and does not know how anything really works - despite his claims that he knows more about everything than anyone.
Yup, couldn't agree more. Trump's ignorance is nothing short of astonishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are WAY too logical for this forum. 99.9% of Trump supporters here believe that every single action he takes is always totally defensible. But that is the nature of Internet forums.

My parents lived through the Depression and I learned my lessons in frugality from day 1.

You can surely argue that Clinton had a lot of faults, but one thing he did get right was in balancing the Federal budget. He had budget surpluses from 1998-2001, (the only President to do this from 1970-2016). His final four budgets were balanced budgets with surpluses.

Point is that the Republicans used to be the party of fiscal responsibility, and it was a Democrat that managed to actually balance the budget. They TALK a big story, but do nothing to address the spend side of the equation. Plenty of pork under Republican (and Democrat) Administrations. Now we have Trump who reduces taxes but can't even have a coherent discussion about how to reduce spending.
Exactly! I give republicans credit for somehow becoming known as the party of fiscal responsibility. Even though history tells us that nothing is further from the truth. I supported Hillary because i figured she would run the country like Bill did despite his many flaws he knew how to run the f****** county notice how no one attacks him on his policies.

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
When Obama started the trend with trillion dollar deficit spending, the coruptocrats in both parties became drunk with all the power and influence this provided them with.
As I said in my previous post, BOTH parties are to blame and complicit in deficit spending and running up huge debt. Both parties buy votes with our money.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Obama had 1+ trillion dollar debts for 5 of his 8 years, and increased the national debt from 10.5t to 19.7 trillion...an increase of over 8 trillion..... did you complain then???
Yes in 2013 I thought Obama had an opportunity for more spending cuts but mostly he should have not renewed the Bush tax cuts again since the economy was in the upswing. I don't see that there were many opportunities in his first term with the economy in free fall.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes in 2013 I thought Obama had an opportunity for more spending cuts but mostly he should have not renewed the Bush tax cuts again since the economy was in the upswing. I don't see that there were many opportunities in his first term with the economy in free fall.
I agree Obama was complicit when he allowed the portions bush tax cuts to continue winch was a huge factor in why the debt continued to increase under Obama. So for the first 4 years of his administration the BUSH tax cuts were adding billions to the deficit.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Funny how liberals care about spending when they aren't running the country...
Someone before suggested the American voter is to blame...

I read comments like this one, and no doubt it seems all too many Americans don't know much let alone enough. Add this very sad reality to the problem of partisan nonsense as expressed here, and maybe it's best we rely on the electoral college. What we Americans seem to think and why is all too often an affront to objective reason and logic! Though the electoral college (that Trump described as a "disaster") didn't save us from Trump the last go around. Can't win!

Who wasn't happy about our budget surplus during the Clinton administration? Liberal or conservative?

Who wasn't concerned about the debt spending Bush began and Obama followed as compelled by the Great Recession? Liberal or conservative?

Now we've got the typical Trump defense here yet again.

"But what about this or that" looking backward?

"But what about Obama and the Clintons?"

Always to draw attention from all that is Trump today! Always driving toward the least common denominator so everything in comparison looks better, but our budget was BETTER during Clinton's administration!

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Old 03-06-2019, 10:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I agree Obama was complicit when he allowed the portions bush tax cuts to continue winch was a huge factor in why the debt continued to increase under Obama. So for the first 4 years of his administration the BUSH tax cuts were adding billions to the deficit.
Surely you know the POTUS cannot, by decree, stop tax cuts???

I was there for all of this stuff. GWB entered office and immediate cut taxes out of debt and deficit. Then, as you know, he went on to not fund the war and the great recession. He also didn't address the single biggest budget issue - Health care.

In the big picture, Obama did the opposite. He tried to make a Grand Bargain, he left office with a deficit MUCH smaller than it has been pumped up to now, etc.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:01 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We are going in the wrong direction folks.....

Receipts down, spending up......

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...venue-declines

The U.S. budget deficit widened to $310 billion in the first four months of the fiscal year, underscoring the revenue hit from Republican tax cuts and an increase in government spending.

The budget gap widened 77 percent compared with the same October-January period a year earlier, according to the Treasury monthly budget report released on Tuesday, which was delayed by the government shutdown. Receipts fell by 2 percent to $1.1 trillion, while spending rose 9 percent to $1.4 trillion.
I haven't been able to read all the comments in this thread, so I can't know for sure if this has also been posted, but it's not just the budget deficit going in the wrong direction...

U.S. Trade Gap Surged to $621 Billion in 2018, 10-Year High

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e?srnd=premium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies